Beacon

smerchly

Took a trip to check out the Beacon area this a.m. I see 2 signs that said no fishing in the marina at the ramp , & launch is now $15 for boats & $3 for canoes . A much larger sign on the small shack at the gas pump says " ABSOLUTELY  NO FISHING IN THE MARINA BASIN  !  I can see their point if boaters were trolling ,casting near the docks or at the opening to the lake , but there are out of the way spots at both east and far west parts which wouldn't bother anyone .We are losing more spots every year .....maybe some justified because of the garbage people .....

I have a question for those who will know more than i do about our marinas .....Was public money used to dump those huge rocks at the marinas at Jordan , Dalhousie and Port Weller ? We used to spend our summers at Michigan Beach , buy fries & pop and enjoyed many summers there . Much of that beach is now paved over . It pains me to see millionaires buy our beaches and put a marina in place . The city only looks at the income from taxes etc , but I thought we still had some rights to that old "beach" water ?

We had a run in with the rowing club a few years ago which after a meeting with the city , rowing club and concerned boaters , and won some rights to fish Martindale ponds . We need to know what rights we have if any , fishing in marinas  especially after closing for the winter .

beacon pic.jpg

If it’s private property then don’t think we can fish it.  Do they really own the rock piles though? Probably not. And if your in a boat you can fish the marina they don’t own the water.  I’ve seen plenty of videos of encounters where boats are fishing marinas and the owners are getting all pissed And once it’s winter who’s going to be there to stop 50 fisherman?

Never fished there. Can you launch at the Beacon and go under the road? I hear there are monster cats in there in the spring. Someone told me you can launch a canoe or small boat at the conservation area but not venture electric motors are allowed. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Yes , you can launch at the Beacon ramp and go under the 3 bridges to the harbour , but if the lake kicks up you may have a rough time getting back to the marina . You could then go to the conservation park to get off the water & if the park is closed in early spring  , carry your canoe or yak about 150 yds. to the road (21st St.)

The park allows electric motors , no gas .

32 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Yes , you can launch at the Beacon ramp and go under the 3 bridges to the harbour , but if the lake kicks up you may have a rough time getting back to the marina . You could then go to the conservation park to get off the water & if the park is closed in early spring  , carry your canoe or yak about 150 yds. to the road (21st St.)

You can run gas motors in the harbour though right?  I’ve seen plenty. 

The breakwaters were built as part of the small harbour development program in the early 90's   Federal and provincial monies that was spent rejuvenating the waterfront from Toronto to Niagara. Much of that work included LaSalle, Pier 4 Bayfront, Port D, the Beacon, the initial development of the Lakeshore trail to Burlington, and a number of other projects. I did a number of subcontract jobs at various locations of the projects. Staff at the Beacon had been given warnings from the MNR in the past.

53 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Thank you for the information.

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

You can run gas motors in the harbour though right?  I’ve seen plenty. 

Yes , larger boats come in from the lake to fish or explore . Be aware of the water depth  under the bridges . Boats keep close to the east bridge pillars where the channel is deeper . 

Thanks Bruce . I know you have first hand knowledge on this .

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Yes , larger boats come in from the lake to fish or explore . Be aware of the water depth  under the bridges . Boats keep close to the east bridge pillars where the channel is deeper . 

Thanks Bruce . I know you have first hand knowledge on this .

Did that trip many times in the 70's and 80's when Don Campbell had the marina in the harbour.

8 hours ago, dave524 said:

Did that trip many times in the 70's and 80's when Don Campbell had the marina in the harbour.

They were a Johnson Outboard dealer as well Dave. We rented those heavy flat bottom steel boats for a buck ....no motor , just a set of oars .

It was a great bass spot , and some people  would come from the U.S. to fish for carp and channel cats .

The new bridge ended the business for the marina ....no enough clearance for larger boats .

a shot from the past ......

Campbells Marina.jpg

The rocks jetting out on the south side has had a no trespassing sign put up for a couple of years now, it used to be a great spot for me until those marina idiots would chase you out of there. I tried calling the mnr but never received a response back regarding whether they are lawfully allowed to do that, I’m almost certain they aren’t considering they never paid for the installation 

A lot of memories with that shot Smerch!  Memories of motoring under the bridge (many  cb antennas were broken and bent nets). Setting flat lines as soon as we got out to the lake and trolling west behind the canning factory, no riggers, dipseys or jets. No line counters just big spinning reels and plastic rod holders or many times just holding the rod in your hand for hours and hours. Ahh the simple days when your friends and fellow fishing buddies would be honest and share fishing spots over the cb so everyone enjoyed a fun days fishing. 

21 hours ago, fredfisher said:

Warnings for what? 

For obstructing anglers from accessing public water.  They were stupid enough to try and chase out a plain clothed Warden

On 10/17/2019 at 6:37 AM, dave524 said:

16 hours ago, deetch said:

A lot of memories with that shot Smerch!  Memories of motoring under the bridge (many  cb antennas were broken and bent nets). Setting flat lines as soon as we got out to the lake and trolling west behind the canning factory, no riggers, dipseys or jets. No line counters just big spinning reels and plastic rod holders or many times just holding the rod in your hand for hours and hours. Ahh the simple days when your friends and fellow fishing buddies would be honest and share fishing spots over the cb so everyone enjoyed a fun days fishing. 

Those were the days my friends  ( those days never end )  ....stuck in our memories forever .......

looking through the NFN archives .....Dave said ,  many years ago ...........( 2009)

...Remember DonCampbell well , did some business with him and launched out of there many times during the heydays of salmon fishing in the spring back in the 80's when parked vehicles and trailers would extend back along the road south of the QEW quite a ways back towards Regional 24. In summer back...

1 hour ago, deetch said:

The baits were limited back than: J13 or J11 black silver , orange or chartreuse.  Fireplugs, cleos, benos and that was pretty much the main ones used

And those baits are still great performers for me now. 

On 10/17/2019 at 5:22 PM, Bass-turd said:

The rocks jetting out on the south side has had a no trespassing sign put up for a couple of years now, it used to be a great spot for me until those marina idiots would chase you out of there. I tried calling the mnr but never received a response back regarding whether they are lawfully allowed to do that, I’m almost certain they aren’t considering they never paid for the installation 

There wasn't a problem shore fishing there in the early 50's by the look of the cars 

JordanHarbour50s.jpg

51 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

And those baits are still great performers for me now. 

I was using a black/silver J-13 right behind those trees yesterday ....Those cars on the other side of the qew  were likely  people swimming at the beach there . I was driving a 1950 Pontiac  torpedo back at the time . There was no food joints or entertainment there , just swimming , fishing and enjoying the atmosphere .

Oh yes......gas was about 9 cents per liter .......mug of beer ...15 cents  ....fishing was free !    :Gonefishing:

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

I was using a black/silver J-13 right behind those trees yesterday ....Those cars on the other side of the qew  were likely  people swimming at the beach there . I was driving a 1950 Pontiac  torpedo back at the time . There was no food joints or entertainment there , just swimming , fishing and enjoying the atmosphere .

Oh yes......gas was about 9 cents per liter .......mug of beer ...15 cents  ....fishing was free !    :Gonefishing:

Smerch do you remember before the QEW and Don Campbell's 😀   

Edit; this bridge I believe is the one in the air shot

Jordan air photo.jpg

Jordan Harbour.jpg

Haha ....not that far back Dave .   Was there cars back then ? 

I have some old pictures from Jordan ....here's a couple .....

Sled races kept Jordan Harbour busy and a small plane with wheels landed on the ice there also .

ME when I was 20 fishing by the bridge at Jordan  (1963) .....handsome dude !

I started working at GM that October .....

Old Jordan Races.jpg

me at jordan.jpg

Archived