Deer & Ambulance Collide

smerchly

At 3:15 am  an ambulance hit a deer on the QEW at Bowen Rd. They pulled over & saw smoke coming from the engine .An off duty paramedic stopped to help remove the patient , thena vehicle rammed into the back of the ambulance !!  They were very fortunate they were out of the way !!

At this time of the year hunting is on and deer may be on the run more ....there are many deer in this area ! Vehicles are now traveling faster and headlights are much brighter (should be banned) , so animals of all sort stand less chance getting off the road before being hit  . 

Bottom line to all of us is be extra careful , keep your eyes peeled for animals near roads and slow down at night .  Hitting a deer with a small car at high speeds could be very serious to your health .

https://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/9669022-ambulance-strikes-deer-on-qew-then-hit-by-passing-vehicle/

The fact that the deer are in rut is much more the reason for them travelling and crossing roads than hunting. The shotgun hunts surely move the deer for the week that they are running  but I see bucks chasing does when the rut is at it's peak...probably in another week or two.

31 minutes ago, mooseslayer said:

The fact that the deer are in rut is much more the reason for them travelling and crossing roads than hunting. The shotgun hunts surely move the deer for the week that they are running  but I see bucks chasing does when the rut is at it's peak...probably in another week or two.

100% right mooseslayer as the rut nears more deer will be running around a lot more Bow hunters don't get the deer running around like the shotgun hunt does But it's  to bad this happen'd 

37 minutes ago, mooseslayer said:

FYI...first shotgun hunt in Niagara starts next Monday.

Thanks for that info mooseslayer .....We have the first nations deer hunt here on weekends  (Pelham Rd.), about 3 km from my house . They use cross bows and use ATV's to haul the deer . The hunt goes into Dec. this year .  

Funny thing ,as I was driving past Wiley's  grape farm with my windows down a bit , one of those bird guns went off  .....sounded like a shotgun  blast right beside me  !!  Lots of those things going off west of St.Catharines ....hard to distinguish the bang from a shotgun . 

I'm well aware of the first nation hunts. Near where a friend of mine hunts and I go with him on occasion.  Their hunts go actually go into January this year

The Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks has announced that the traditional Aboriginal deer hunts will take place on Oct. 22, Nov. 14 and 28, Dec. 5 and Jan. 16. The hunt begins each day one half-hour before sunrise, and ends on half-hour after sunset. The park will be closed the morning after each harvest for maintenance until noon.

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

At this time of the year hunting is on and deer may be on the run more ....there are many deer in this area ! Vehicles are now travelling faster and headlights are much brighter (should be banned) , so animals of all sort stand less chance getting off the road before being hit  . 

Going to disagree on the vehicles travelling faster and headlights Smerch.

The brighter headlights are a requirement if you are outside of city limits, as someone who has had close calls with deer, caribou, coyotes, and such ... my vehicle would have become a write off at least once if it was not for upgrading the headlights.  At the end of the day the "brighter headlights" are often very poorly aligned and not properly set for illuminating the roads as opposed to someones backseat.

Vehicles aren't travelling faster nowadays ... just there are more idiots on the roads and people who truly don't give a **** if they hit you or not.  As much as they upped the QEW to 110, find a time where you can actually go 110 plus outside of midnight.

Going to disagree also  Snaggles ......

Those extra "white" headlights don't bother people like me as much when driving vehicles with higher suspensions such as my Astro van ....better yet for 4x4 pickups , Jeeps :rolleyes: , big rigs etc. , but when I drive our small G6 those lights are BLINDING !  I must look off to the side of the road . Animals freeze in their tracks , but yes , the driver can see them better . My old sealed beams light up the road very well when I hit the high beam button . The new lights are too bright !

I think the speed limits signs are not posted appropriately in many spots ....like our 406 with sharp bends posted at 100 km on those curves . As we know 100 k means 110 or 120k to most drivers . Rural roads like Victoria Ave posted at 80k will see drivers doing 100k as "normal" (lots of deer out that way).  Now that the QEW is 110 k it's to be expected to see driving 130k , but as stated , it's usually jammed tight (good thing ?) ....so many big rigs ,  a chain reaction  could be very deadly especially when we know many more drivers are elderly , on meds , stoned , or drunk .

The western highways that are straight and flat for miles can accommodate higher speeds for sure , but when accidents happen they are more serious (Newton) .  I would like to see a limit of 10% over the posted speeds for all roads  . Most won''t agree with me as many like to drive fast in our sleek cars that can easily do over 200k. but lets give it some time to see what happens after a year or two .   🏁

That area is bad this time of year for deer running out on the roads...and qew....specially during twilight hours.....over the years there are spots in around the fort Erie I always avoided this time of year early evening on my motorcycle

On 10/31/2019 at 7:20 AM, Jwl1 said:

That area is bad this time of year for deer running out on the roads...and qew....specially during twilight hours.....over the years there are spots in around the fort Erie I always avoided this time of year early evening on my motorcycle

So right Jack ,,,,reports this morning of "multiple" deer encounters  on that stretch of the QEW .  Like you said , it could be deadly for bikers ....

Archived