HWY 20 closed for forseeable future.

Chrisb

20 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

I would say new bridge for sure. The question is how long it will be out and what they will do in the mean time. HWY 20 is a major road.

Looking at google Maps (sat.view) there is room to build a new bridge beside that one . Keep the traffic moving , restrict heavy trucks . That bridge doesn't look very strong, maybe time to scrap it . 

The official detour is

Regional Rd. 82 (Allanport Rd.) to Regional Rd. 63 (Chippawa Creek Rd.) to Regional Rd. 84 (Moyer Rd.) to Regional Rd. 27 (East Main St.) through the Welland Tunnel, through the roundabout, Hwy 406 north to Regional Rd. 20 (Hwy. 20)

Our local highways are a disaster ....too many spots shut down to get on or off the QEW . I took the 406 from 4th Ave . to go east bound to Lake St. but the qew exit ramp is shut down & I had to go west to 7th St. to exit ....then down Lakeshore Rd , through Port Dal . ,down Lakeport to Lake St. ....to get my doggies  meds  !  Good thing gas is cheap eh ?  

You can take Holland road. It comes out between the dead bridge and the canal bridge on the west side. People living along that road probably won't be happy with the increased traffic they are going to be seeing.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:49 AM, Chrisb said:

You can take Holland road. It comes out between the dead bridge and the canal bridge on the west side. People living along that road probably won't be happy with the increased traffic they are going to be seeing.

Yeah , Holland and Kottmeier would be the best, if it is the bridge I think it is. Some good carp fishing down Holland to the north too.

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

There was a pond there on the right where we used to get crayfish .....many moons ago !

About the same time they trained retrievers in that pond, think they even held a few competitions there.

Dad and I used to get crayfish in the cemetery on 20 Hwy back closer to Turner's Corners, knew the caretaker.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:40 PM, smerchly said:

There was a pond there on the right where we used to get crayfish .....many moons ago !

At least one year there was a ton of eating size Perch in that pond. Trick was to get a cast past the weeds and then get the fish back through the weeds. lol...............Daniel

1 hour ago, boogaloo said:

At least one year there was a ton of eating size Perch in that pond. Trick was to get a cast past the weeds and then get the fish back through the weeds. lol...............Daniel

Yes at one time wed take the canoe in and get crappies along the back by the bullrushes also ...wed get quite a few perch as well. The water was super low one year and it froze completely solid snd everything died ...i think just frogs turtles tadpoles in there now ...i take my kids skating there every year as i live by the bridge .....oops my bad i thought this was about the pond off holand and hwy 20 the old mountie camp pond ...was good for pannies also

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, smerchly said:

So the Tunnel will be only one lane all winter . West bound traffic only !    Nice !

Change of plans ......Two way will resume now that they have come up with a very "complicated solution" !  This lady explains it very well !  From today's paper ( 06-12-2019 )

Re: Thorold Tunnel traffic to remain two-way this winter, Nov. 28

Am I missing something here?

Seriously, when I read the first newspaper article about the Thorold Tunnel possibly being closed because the big snow plows couldn't fit through, I was thinking, why not just use a smaller snow plow?

But no, the public was allowed to become upset because of the possible closure and big meetings had to take place to find a solution.

The process included municipal representatives, the local MPP, Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney, Ministry of Transportation representatives and regional government representatives. Newspaper articles were written and people were talking about a tunnel shutdown and no answer was evident.

Did it actually take all these people to hold a big meeting and figure out to use a smaller plow in order to keep the tunnel open? Wasn't this embarrassing being at this meeting with all these people to figure out such a simple solution?

Seriously, they couldn't figure this out themselves? They had to have all this hoopla, and big meetings to figure out a smaller plow was needed?

Lordy, lordy.

Sharon Chepil

Niagara Falls

We will have a 5.85% property tax for 2020 , the highest in 10 years . Store prices have gone insane including food . I paid my bill at C.T.today , checked out some prices for some items like an 18kg bag of bird seed which is loaded with corn , just went from $20 to $27  from last month . The minnow scooper was $1 last year and $3 now .... These rip off prices will cause more Canadians to cross the big ditch more , buy on line , & buy used stuff.  Also buy from small stores like our local tackle shops  .

My alternative is to tighten my belt another notch and use more  duct tape .......

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, smerchly said:

Change of plans ......Two way will resume now that they have come up with a very "complicated solution" !  This lady explains it very well !  From today's paper ( 06-12-2019 )

Re: Thorold Tunnel traffic to remain two-way this winter, Nov. 28

Am I missing something here?

Seriously, when I read the first newspaper article about the Thorold Tunnel possibly being closed because the big snow plows couldn't fit through, I was thinking, why not just use a smaller snow plow?

But no, the public was allowed to become upset because of the possible closure and big meetings had to take place to find a solution.

The process included municipal representatives, the local MPP, Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney, Ministry of Transportation representatives and regional government representatives. Newspaper articles were written and people were talking about a tunnel shutdown and no answer was evident.

Did it actually take all these people to hold a big meeting and figure out to use a smaller plow in order to keep the tunnel open? Wasn't this embarrassing being at this meeting with all these people to figure out such a simple solution?

Seriously, they couldn't figure this out themselves? They had to have all this hoopla, and big meetings to figure out a smaller plow was needed?

Lordy, lordy.

Sharon Chepil

Niagara Falls

We will have a 5.85% property tax for 2020 , the highest in 10 years . Store prices have gone insane including food . I paid my bill at C.T.today , checked out some prices for some items like an 18kg bag of bird seed which is loaded with corn , just went from $20 to $27  from last month . The minnow scooper was $1 last year and $3 now .... These rip off prices will cause more Canadians to cross the big ditch more , buy on line , & buy used stuff.  Also buy from small stores like our local tackle shops  .

My alternative is to tighten my belt another notch and use more  duct tape .......

Just how does it snow inside a tunnel , just asking?

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Just how does it snow inside a tunnel , just asking?

Ha ha....During a heavy snow fall a strong wind can blow snow into the tunnel but I think a good salting would do the trick . Maybe the big blade on snowplow trucks is too wide just to drive through the tunnel with those barriers .

Archived