Fish'n Chips

smerchly

Kind of fishing related ........

Today "was"  fish and chips for supper ....called them on the phone to order & a guy says call back in a few minutes to place an order ....called back ...same deal ....called again and same response . Wife says just go there & order ....  only room for 4  or 5 people in there & I saw 6 waiting  !  So I said "oopsy , no gonna wait , & off to Walmart ....in and out in 5 minutes !  Wife has the plates , vinegar , catchup , etc. waiting ....I walked in with a Wally bag ....she looked "puzzled" as I brought forth a nice hot fat juicy roto chicken with a box of potato wedgies  ....

Happy happy !   :pardon:

8 minutes ago, мормышка said:

When I have a taste for deep fry fish I like JmonkS fish and chips on Grantham Rd.

I don't find a big difference in most F & C places ....Beamsville F & C is the closest one here in west St.Kitts & has been very good in the past . I think they were short handed today & couldn't answer the phone calls . Always young people working there and new faces every time I go there .  Heard today many places are looking for older people for retail jobs .....hmmmmmmm   😃

Young kids don't seem to want to work if they don't involve the KEY BOARD.. Same thing as you say, Friend of mine was at the Wood Show in Ancaster on the weekend, walking too the booth to pay and l see  him, said thought to were working at the Royal in Toronto this weekend. Answer was yes, but could not get help here for his wife as the boys were at the Royal so he had to come here. Question, why did you not give me a call seeing as  l live 15 min away and retired???. Did not think as l was in a rush to supply here. Ok guess what l did all weekend 🙄😉  Helped them out so he could go back to the Royal and work his booth there. 😎

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

I don't find a big difference in most F & C places ....Beamsville F & C is the closest one here in west St.Kitts & has been very good in the past . I think they were short handed today & couldn't answer the phone calls . Always young people working there and new faces every time I go there .  Heard today many places are looking for older people for retail jobs .....hmmmmmmm   😃

True. The recipe is same, but it comes down to consistency of quality. If they cook right and give good portions and have good service, they will always sell well. The same goes with pizza joints. Best places do it right, but all the time. Sometime with that depends who is working that shift.

Changing the oil more often is probably a big factor in taste . I have bought fish'nchips there Bruce & they were also very good and nice people as well .....and a 2 minute drive for me !  I will give them another shot next week . You can also eat inside there .

I have a Beamsville f&c 2 blocks from me, but don’t really like them.

when we want f&c we drive to Minors restraint in Pt. Colborne for pickerel, or perch if they are out of pickerel.

cant beat fresh off the boat!

Ya lard tunderin  jeeziz boy...there she be...oh my son ... that sure is some eatin......great place for good fish n chips...bit pricey....but great quality

1 hour ago, genec said:

Interesting, because we always found Newfoundland to have thicker batter coating (which we don’t like) and greasier than Beamsville.

We don't like thick batters either .....that only makes the portions look larger . I don't eat all the batter , the end piece usually has a big glob of batter with no fish inside & it goes into the bin .  We don't eat at restaurants anymore and seldom eat take outs like pizza , wings etc......all of that is cooked at home now . F & C is an occasional treat , like picking up a roto chicken at W.M.    That  chicken gives us 3 meals, plus another 3 meals from my wife's famous chicken & everything soup !!   :wub:

Not bad for 8 bucks !

cod's on sale pretty much every week. check flipp.com for the sales at basics, sobeys, freshco, frills etc

for 10$ you can get a pound of cod loins and fry em up your self.

if your wife doesn't like the smell of grease in the house put the pan on the barbq.

1/4" of  sunflower/canola w/e oil in the bottom of an 8" pan cast iron pan, 10 minutes later you'll be eating

I found the cod tasted very close to the haddock  and they are priced the same at Beams. f & c .

It's treat to have them cooked for us ..... $15 with a lot of fries .

I have fish in the freezer ....perch , white bass , and pike ....some get fried , some get the oven & some on the bbq ....variety is the spice  of life .  We have used lard , canola and coco nut oil except for oven baked fish ....

Hoping for nice fat carp tomorrow ....Yum !  😋

The BEST l have found is THE THISTLE FISH & CHIP  on Fairview Ave by Walkers Line in Burlington,. My Opinion Better Than Harrys l use to go there and found this place. Nice Family Restaurant & Great Food All English Foods and GREAT Staff. Ways to go as l live in Hamilton MTN but l will go for GREAT FOOD. If you do go on a Friday Get there before 5.00pm or you will wait in line to be seated. Good Friday BEST OF LUCK for seating NO RESERVATIONS

The wife's dad and stepmam used to own lakeport fish and chips,  they still use the name Bubba fries which was always a nice thing but it's really a lot more special now as he passed away from ALS. always makes it happy sad.

On 11/28/2019 at 5:04 PM, dave524 said:

Harry's Fish & Chips, 1138 Fennell Ave E, Hamilton, ON L8T 1S5 👍

FRESH fish straight out of Hammi Harbour  ? 

...  :tease:...

Archived