Port Dalhousie

deetch

It takes a while for the 12 Mile system to clear up after strong southerly winds muck up L.Erie . Gibson holds a lot of water to clear up first before Dalhousie clears up .  Martindale ponds are clearing up more when I fished there Friday.....

23 minutes ago, мормышка said:

I would say smaller trout like 1 - 3 lbs should be ok. Usually best in straight from the lake (silver). Ones who stay in harbor for long time won't taste as good.

Thanks. I've started fishing in the Niagara region this year and wondering about the safety of eating locally caught fish. 

This the season..while targeting steelies in a couple spots on the upper last season..we where getting a few decent walleye on the same setups and areas as a cool incidental catch....fresher cleaner fish to eat for sure

Bought a coffee and went down to the circus this morning.  The east wall was packed the large sailboat is still there.  It’s free entertainment watching these guys fish. Was there for about 45 mins watched a snagged brown being brought in and a legal brown being caught and that was it.  Multiple lines being crossed, 2 boats drifting dodging lead being thrown at them, oh what fun ‘it is ‘tis the season.

Queenston was ok.  Not so packed with shore anglers BUT the boats are all over that drift.  When I was there Wednesday there were 25-30 boats.  You have to wait your turn and cast btw them.  They are close enough you could throw right in their laps.... which I was tempted to do. 

59 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

throw right in their laps.... which I was tempted to do. 

....or have 50# braid with a big hook !   So many discourteous (ignorasses) anglers these days , I  quit fishing those spots years ago .  My last 2 outings were completely solo ....not another line in sight !    :Gonefishing: 

There are spots there away from the maddening crowd......

My next trip will be just that...A hike into the glen.  I’ll find a nice secluded drift to myself somewhere down there. 

I can’t figure out how to get to one like that from queenston despite multiple YouTube videos of that general area. 

On 11/22/2019 at 3:32 PM, mck.brad said:

I've never tried for brown trout before. Just wondering if anyone does catch and eat from Port or is it recommended for catch and release only?

I wouldn't eat a brown specially the bigger ones. They tend to hold the highest concentrates of toxins. 

10 hours ago, Mbocco said:

My next trip will be just that...A hike into the glen.  I’ll find a nice secluded drift to myself somewhere down there. 

I can’t figure out how to get to one like that from queenston despite multiple YouTube videos of that general area. 

Trail off from top parking lot at Queenston will take you all the way to Powerhouse. Lots of access points down. Lots of slower deeper drifts better for lures and jigs. Huge stretch that sees little pressure...

Bottom bouncing is certainly an acquired skill in a crowd...as an angler who fishes from boat and shore....the boat guys really dont have to overcrowd the back drift...the people I fish with dont even go there if there are more than 3 or 4 boats..lol...and try our best not to disrupt the shore guys .....this time of year there are plenty of other places to drift in a boat....a little courtesy goes a long way ... I gave up fishing the port d zoo like 20 years ago...lol...too much trouble ...doesn't sound like it's getting any better...but again..if everyone cooperates...takes thier turn casting....gets lines out when someone has a fish on ect...it saves alot of frustration when fishing in a crowd

Have you ever fished at the  Thornbury  Spring Zoo Classic in the 80's ?    It was a war zone  !!!!

:th_fudd::slap::deadhorse::clapping::coldsmiley:

15 hours ago, bigugli said:

Nothing worse than fishing the opener on the Ganny back in the heyday. 200+ anglers rubbing elbows along a short stretch of shoreline 

Or Denny's Dam. lol................................Daniel

Archived