Highway Tolls

smerchly

Many of us use the 407 to get to our fishing-hunting places as well as vacation destinations , etc etc. Coming home from Quinte I took  Westnee Rd.  to Brock Rd. to get on the 407 & it took me to the Burlinton skyway  at a cost of $24 .   Now that E.V . vehicles are using the roads ,  there will be a loss in gas taxes which help pay for road maintenance .  So now they are talking about building all new highways with tolls or even adding tolls to present hwys ....easy to do with the 406 , etc... Ford has a new e.v. truck & just announced the new e.v. Mustang ...a sure sign of things to come . I always use the 407 ...saves time , gas money and safer . Will we someday see e.v.jet engines ??

....whaddyathink ....????

I use the 407 whenever I go North (from Burlington to the 400) or when I go East of Peterborough to hunt or fish. I cannot drive on the 401 as I find it too friggen nuts. I gladly pay to use the 407 but I would welcome a reduction in fees. I have heard a rumour that the CPP has bought more shares in the 407 and it may trickle down to us as a saving. Lets hope, lol.........................Daniel

Yes Daniel , the 401 is "too much" for me to drive .🥶     I'd rather pay to keep my sanity and get home quicker . It saves some gas as well ....just put her in cruise and off you go .

I take the 407 quite often as I work in Brampton a lot.  It’s definitely a nicer drive but it sure adds up quick.  If you use it a Decent amount in a year get the transponder. Use it 6 times and and you’ll start saving on the camera charges. 

I parked beside a car a few days ago and the rear plate was completely white ....every stitch of paint was gone and it was unreadable ......  His 407 bill would be very cheap .....  🤨

Seen plates all muddied up  from road dirt .....   I would get a transponder  if I drove as much as you Tyler !! 

23 hours ago, smerchly said:

Ford has a new e.v. truck & just announced the new e.v. Mustang

Just had a gander at the new "Muttstang"  . It's a SUV .!!  Euchhhh !  Mustang owners are saying Henry is rolling  in his grave !!

That "thing" is NOT a Mustang !  

Oh ....and btw ....  the 407 is ripping us off ....many people are getting very rich on our dime ( like Lotariario )

You can drive a Tractor Trailer across New York State Thruway to Mass Line for less money let alone a car in US Funds and REMEMBER WE ALREADY OWN the 407 in our FUEL TAXES we have PAID and when it was SOLD or LEASED we never got a red penny out of it. That is why l refuse to use that road. TAXES TAXES & TAXES

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

Just had a gander at the new "Muttstang"  . It's a SUV .!!  Euchhhh !  Mustang owners are saying Henry is rolling  in his grave !!

That "thing" is NOT a Mustang !  

Haven't seen new one, but its probably based on the "shooting brake" design, like a wagon. No, it should have been called something else. like "Lightning". They're going after Tesla. Ha ha. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 3:46 PM, Loonietoon1 said:

You can drive a Tractor Trailer across New York State Thruway to Mass Line for less money let alone a car in US Funds and REMEMBER WE ALREADY OWN the 407 in our FUEL TAXES we have PAID and when it was SOLD or LEASED we never got a red penny out of it. That is why l refuse to use that road. TAXES TAXES & TAXES

Just saw this post.

one thing that has always pissed me off re  the 407 is that, since the government sold it, the 407 rates continue to go up, and the govt gets nothing from it, but our tax dollars keep paying for the OPP to patrol it!! Why should we be paying for policing on it when it’s a PRIVATE road??

Maybe the OPP  have to pay toll fees as well  :rolleyes:  (  Ontario government  paying another country  to use an Ontario highway )

Nothing surprises me .....

The MTO also Patrols the 407 and has a few Scales setup that they operate, 1 is around Walkers or Guelph Line area. Who gets the money from them FINES as well as OPP FINES ?????? Who is Paying for Snow Plowing And Salting Operations????? WE ARE IN OUR TAXES. Please do not get me started 😣😈

I only used it twice this year , going the full length to get to Quinte  and coming home I got on at Brock Rd. ....cost was nearly as much as I spend for gas .   I hate traffic jams and long trips so I take the 407 ..... it does save me a few bucks on gas and my doggie hates my van .....

2 hours ago, bigugli said:

I refuse to use the 407. It is not a public road.

Anything to do with car insurance Bruce ?  I was lucky to have my old 97 van covered on a so called private road .....

Our taxes paid for the 407 , then the "cons" decided to sell it to another country . I see your point , let's hope the 401 will not be sold after they toll it .  As mentioned earlier , when e.v.'s enter the equation gas tax money will not cover highway maintenance ....unless we are paying  $3 /liter , thanks to the climate change soothsayers .

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, smerchly said:

Will we someday see e.v.jet engines ??

Well ,  they must have read my post  !   Yesterday they tested the first electric float plane in B.C. !

It only has a range of 100 miles , but their intent on developing long range planes .

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/electric-seaplane-float-plane-test-flight-harbour-air-1.5390816

On 12/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, smerchly said:

Well ,  they must have read my post  !   Yesterday they tested the first electric float plane in B.C. !

It only has a range of 100 miles , but their intent on developing long range planes .

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/electric-seaplane-float-plane-test-flight-harbour-air-1.5390816

Any word on the remaining payload after the batteries are figured in ? 

Archived