navy island deer relocating

mrgadget

i was fishing near navy island on sunday nov 24 .i spotted two bucks swimming in the niagara river .couple hrs later i saw two does swimming to the mainland.i was talking to a duck hunter he said the day before he seen deer swimming to the us side.there was two small aluminum boats parked on navy island.i heard one gunshot in about 5hrs.

The natives might be hunting on the island, that will get them moving. They used to have a controlled hunt years ago and a deer swam across and jumped through a window of a house on Sarah St. if memory serves me correct. I think they ended the hunt pretty soon after that incident. 

Deer swim out there all the time....there has been the odd cull over the years when there has been too many deer out there and help to prevent sickness in the herd due to over population 

Cool story. I used to duck hunt on Navy Island years ago and one time my Brother and I saw a nice Buck swimming in the river and we got below it and herded it toward the island and the last we saw, it was bounding up through our friends decoys with the anchor lines in its antlers. Our buddy didn't know if he wanted to shoot at us or the Deer. We had a good laugh about that..................Daniel

Reminds me of a story I saw quite a few years ago out in the Maritimes. They were having a cull because the deer were dying of starvation. The herd had become so big and they were eating so much that there wasn't enough food for them all. All the animal activists were "up in arms" because they wanted nature to take its course. Dying of starvation would have to be absolutely awful!!

Good point bubba...that's why they have culled on navy island as well...couple factors...starvation along with chronic waisting disease.. a form of tb....as well as genetic diversity to help avoid inbreeding.

I think some of these activists have lost all touch with reality. How about the group that is constantly protesting in Niagara-On-The-Lake about the horse drawn carriages. These horses are treated like kings, they are doing exactly what they were bred to do but in a much easier way. A team of draft horses pulling a wagon with a few passengers is not suffering cruel and inhumane treatment.

Archived