This'nThat

smerchly

Slow days on the fishing front , sooooo .....some reading material for the fishing challenged .....

After buying 50 lbs. of wild bird seed today I browsed the store for the "goodies" & found some cheese cloth (100% cotton) & some bright pink parachute rope . They label it "authentic para rope" but it's just a Chinese made copy with no where near the strength of the real stuff . It does float with the core inside & slowly sinks without the core . It may attract trout if cut in various sizes up to 3" like the plastic pink worms . The cheese cloth will be used for carp to make "roe bags" . It is very soft & more porous than roe bag material , & many baits can be wrapped inside to make any size bait balls . Look out carp , dinner is coming ! 

Here is a picture of my madness ......The "real" para rope is super strong (500lbs) with 7 strands inside & we used it for years to hang moose quarters in the bush . A fellow worker at GM was a sky diver (2000 jumps ) & was born and raised at Moose Factory (Cree) & gave me a big bag of it . 

para rope.jpg

The cheesecloth might be a good idea...I used to tie dough balls up like roe bags for carp...Tyler's idea for catfish bait might work pretty good...looks like the bigger holes will let scent baits disperse nicely

All kinds of stuff can be tied in the cheese cloth  . For cats I would try ...what else...."cat food" ....some of that tin cat food really stinks . ...or when you clean fish save the guts and roll'em up ! haha There's enough cloth in the package to make a thousand bags .We also used cheese cloth to wrap our moose quarters to keep the blow flies out of the meat . Too bad I don't have some salmon roe ....it would work for both carp and cats ....larger bags , larger hooks.

Psst....hey Tyler... I think bill is just trying to show us what kind of stuff old people keep in thier pockets....if he digs deeper he will probably come up with a couple nickels...a button....and a striped mint with lint stuck to it 😯😁😆

48 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

Smerch, you are like the MacGyver of carp fishing!! 

More like Columbo . ...    and a little of Red Green in my genes too  ha ! 

Big fan of duct tape and epoxy glue to do repairs to help keep the dump sites smaller. 

I'll take that as a compliment Mike !    :bravo:

On 12/4/2019 at 7:58 AM, Jwl1 said:

The cheesecloth might be a good idea...I used to tie dough balls up like roe bags for carp...Tyler's idea for catfish bait might work pretty good...looks like the bigger holes will let scent baits disperse nicely

It's a large piece of cloth Jack  so any size bait can be wrapped with it .....thinking of using minced sardines , cat food , chicken liver , corn ,etc. ,  either with a hair rig or on a hook ...even a large circle hook .  I found some real "ripe" brown roe in the freezer and some refrozen cream corn ....rolled them up and it looks like a go !!

....corn & brown roe .....

..........................................................Smooth Sailing...........................................

cheese cloth roe bags.jpg

Nice lure in there ......drill 2 small holes  in the quarter  (spinner) for a snap swivel and a ring .... add 3' of line with a hook & roe bag , Drop a 6" line & add the AA battery with a tiny eye screw for weight ,  & do some bottom bouncing for steel .  If you prefer to float fish,  the flat stick will do and the elastic band can be cut & used for a stopper ! Good Fishing Jack  !   :Gonefishing:

You are the best Mr Andrews ... I knew I could count on your wisdom....good to know we will never starve if had go glamping roughing it style 🎪... we will need at least 1 match...and I hope you haven't lost you aim....as long as we keep them dry....we have at least 2 shots at some turf to go with the surf 💣💥🐿

I remember the trout meet at the river (top picture)  we had a fire and cooked sausages ...went down nicely too !  I think the guy behind you (Monk ?) caught the only trout that day . What a climb up that rocky gully . ....a day to remember !   We called that area Pebbly Beach.....  

Archived