Winter carping

Tyler0420

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’ll be at lasalle marina sometime after midnight tonight and staying most of tomorrow. If anyone wants to come say hi I’ll be there.  

Whoa !   Will you have the bivy warmed up ....coffee on ? 

Good luck ....hope you start the new year off right ......    :Gonefishing:

Just now, smerchly said:

Whoa !   Will you have the bivy warmed up ....coffee on ? 

Good luck ....hope you start the new year off right ......    :Gonefishing:

thanks smerch, the bivy(my truck)will be warm. Coffee will be warm up the street (timmies).  I need to get myself a little stove for my longer trips out. 

Those goodie bags look very appetizing Tyler . 

I see a few swans ?  there ...  prob a few million geese as well like we have at Gibson .....

Geese here visit corn fields  which translates into "corn poop"  in the water ......easier to digest  ? ..:pardon:

I hope you get some customers for breakfast Ty .....it would be a great day to start the new year !

On 1/1/2020 at 10:03 AM, smerchly said:

Those goodie bags look very appetizing Tyler . 

I see a few swans ?  there ...  prob a few million geese as well like we have at Gibson .....

Geese here visit corn fields  which translates into "corn poop"  in the water ......easier to digest  ? ..:pardon:

I hope you get some customers for breakfast Ty .....it would be a great day to start the new year !

Well fished 9hours and skunked. Spent 4 hours in the first spot then moved 5 times and fished each spot for an hour. Bye bye lasalle on to a new spot. 

Tried the grand the other day but it’s blown. 3oz lead wouldn’t hold bottom. 

Well , you sure gave it your best shot !  Seems like they don't want to play in the cold water .

Another tropical day tomorrow ..."was" thinking of trying Rennie but my van is going into the shop in the morning for a new actuator control to open up the back doors.  "Might" get a few hours in if it's fixed early .

11 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

Love your pva bags of goodies, Tyler.  And the sunrise over the steel mills shot!

Thanks. Too bad the goodies didn’t work. I’ll be on the hunt for more carp elsewhere. 

Hhmmmmm where To go next, maybe I’ll try some marinas off lake O. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks. Too bad the goodies didn’t work. I’ll be on the hunt for more carp elsewhere. 

Hhmmmmm where To go next, maybe I’ll try some marinas off lake O. 

Looks like above norm temps for Jan. ....Think I'll keep chasing carp for a while .

My van part didn't come in so I left it in Thorold until Monday . Hopefully I'll have it Monday morning ..

May try the Jordan marina next Tyler , some big carp have been caught there through the ice  ...a little rough going for young guys , I can help carry your gear .... or ......try the pond !  :Gonefishing:

38 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Looks like above norm temps for Jan. ....Think I'll keep chasing carp for a while .

My van part didn't come in so I left it in Thorold until Monday . Hopefully I'll have it Monday morning ..

May try the Jordan marina next Tyler , some big carp have been caught there through the ice  ...a little rough going for young guys , I can help carry your gear .... or ......try the pond !  :Gonefishing:

I was thinking the beacon. I remember a few years ago carp being caught through the ice there. 50min drive for me so it kinda sucks for short sessions.

My carp spots range between 4 ' to 15' deep . The deeper spots have some current (1 oz.will do) . The "unknown factor"  is ....are the carp deep or shallow in cold water ?  Rennie is 10 to 12 ' average , very little current ....

I'm tempted to try a couple of minnows  on the bottom ....one live and one ripped open for scent . We have caught carp under the ice with perch minnows a foot above bottom ! 

They are winning the game Ty ..... we need to show them ......  🤬

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

My carp spots range between 4 ' to 15' deep . The deeper spots have some current (1 oz.will do) . The "unknown factor"  is ....are the carp deep or shallow in cold water ?  Rennie is 10 to 12 ' average , very little current ....

I'm tempted to try a couple of minnows  on the bottom ....one live and one ripped open for scent . We have caught carp under the ice with perch minnows a foot above bottom ! 

They are winning the game Ty ..... we need to show them ......  🤬

Minnows on bottom could possibly work. I’m thinking of going to worms. 

Drove past my local lake to check the ice out, completely open water.... what the heck it was just frozen over.  I see some swirling and head n shoulders out of the water so I set up.  I’ll be putting time back into here. Don’t have to drive sofar for a skunk. 

C2CF89BD-8AEC-4A37-8ED9-B23C23DAE0D9.jpeg

Hard to believe by the pics its January...just have to experiment with diff baits this time of year....would help to have another person or 2...that way everyone can try something different....

I just got in from picking worms , about 2 dozen . Also lots of slugs out there ....hope my dog isn't eating those slimy things !   I can still use "the wife"s car" to get some fish time in . Maybe try 2 hooks & give them a smorg ! ( minnows , shrimp , worm )  .Weather not looking good for tomorrow (Sat) but I like the north west wind ....  ;) 

Anyone think to try canned clams or mussels?...carp are known to forage on zebra mussels and clams....with the loss of vegetation in the cold water months...there would not be the snails bugs...crawfish ect that are in the plants in the summer they eat....they will more be looking to scrounge whatever they can find on the bottom without expending much energy to get it.

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

Anyone think to try canned clams or mussels?...carp are known to forage on zebra mussels and clams....with the loss of vegetation in the cold water months...there would not be the snails bugs...crawfish ect that are in the plants in the summer they eat....they will more be looking to scrounge whatever they can find on the bottom without expending much energy to get it.

Every time I walk by snails in the grocery store I always think of grabbing a can. Next time maybe I will

26 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Gotta kind of think outside the box in cold weather..the same food sources simply aren't available to the fish

I'm always thinking outside of the "norm" ....so many treats to try .  I  hooked up 2 rods this morning ,  one carp rod & my 8' salmon rod with a simple drop shot with 2 barbed hooks . ( shrimp,worms, live/dead minnows ) ....didn't make it today but will get out tomorrow .

Jack , I'm thinking there must be some big carp in the rec. ( Dain City- boat club - Rameys ) ....just need to find the right depth- weed beds , etc. 

The slight current in there helps...and in the rec..incidental catches include perch pike and crappies in the cold water...my cold water experience in the upper and lower niagara is a minnow bite..incidental catches of carp while targeting trout..walleye..and pike

Well , you finally "broke the ice Tyler ...WTG  !! 

Was that caught where you posted the above picture with your dog ?   Fish looks like it's diseased , maybe the mnr should check that water .  I'm surprised it is able to eat anything .....

Ya same waters. This water is highly polluted, most people don’t go near it or ask me if I’ve caught fish with 3eyes from here.  It’s the first fish I’ve caught that’s  looked like that.  Probably should of left it on the bank :(