Winter carping

Tyler0420

Get the odd walleye that looks like that in the lower niagara....at least you caught a fish...I'm trying to figure out what I want to fish for tomorrow 

57 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ya same waters. This water is highly polluted, most people don’t go near it or ask me if I’ve caught fish with 3eyes from here.  It’s the first fish I’ve caught that’s  looked like that.  Probably should of left it on the bank :(

It's a shame to see we still have highly polluted (toxic) water like that . Years ago we had 5 or 6 paper mills in Merriton/Thorold dumping crap into the 12 Mile and into the lake . The 12 is much cleaner now , but not 100% . Carp are like the canary in a coal mine , sort of ,  being bottom feeders , they seem to reflect the condition of the water quality .

34 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Where you fishing tomorrow Smerchmiester?

I'll be at 43.57 Lat . &  79.24 Long ......going to let it warm up at tad , about 1100 hrs.   

...message on the way.....   ☺️

Well...we came we saw..got conquered so dont feel so bad Tyler...met up with bill for a bit today for a go at a local spot...of course great seeing smerch...sharing some fishing banter....now if we can all knock heads and try and put together a cold water pattern ...lol...

I thought the water would be clear -er  , but the winds that blow Erie up affect the Gibby/12 Mile/Martindale water as well .  The wind had a chill as it blew into our face .  JW tried the float-minnow/lures, while I bottom fished with a gob/o'worms & mangled/fresh minnow on a hook .   More warm temps on the way , will try another spot that should have better vis.

Good to see you again Jack ! 

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

I thought the water would be clear -er  , but the winds that blow Erie up affect the Gibby/12 Mile/Martindale water as well .  The wind had a chill as it blew into our face .  JW tried the float-minnow/lures, while I bottom fished with a gob/o'worms & mangled/fresh minnow on a hook .   More warm temps on the way , will try another spot that should have better vis.

Good to see you again Jack ! 

Damn I was hopeing between you two you guys would of caught one of those elusive carp. More fishing days ahead......

On 1/6/2020 at 9:22 PM, Jwl1 said:

I was waiting for bill to post a "look what I caught after you left" pic 

I wasn't too far behind you ,  tried another spot for 10 min. then left .

If anyone happens to be in Minnesota and has a truck or big trailer , and a big shovel ....us carpreneurs could make you rich ....

This corn looks like maize or fuel corn , not popcorn as some said lol ....Years ago there was a corn spill on the tracks at Port Colborne which was probably maize since ethonol was a ladies name  :rolleyes:

crazy comments lol

694940094001_6121037878001_6121038337001-vs.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Checked out my local carp pond last night. Didn’t have any safety gear on me so I only walked out a few feet because it looked like someone else drilled a hole and there was 3-4” of ice. I chipped away a hole a bit further out and still 3-4”.  This week has some cooler temps at night so I might venture out later this week.  Some spots looked like open water but I chucked a snow ball out and it was frozen so maybe some good black ice out farther.   I’d like to make my own depth map for the swims I fish and see if there are any deeper Holes around.  

I did the "rounds" today also .  It looks like the spring runoff has arrived !!  On the way down 3rd St. the ditches were full and running fast ....Richardson's Creek was overflowing with mucked up H20 ....Martindale  pond is chocolate milk , ice is soft and THIN ...Rennie has some ice , but NO GO ! .... Port Harbour is MUD ....not a soul fishing anywhere... Marina was gated  at entrance and Rooker's Road was gated .   " North to Alsaskawan"   !!!!  :coldsmiley:  ...maybe the big cats are biting Ty....

.....can I say  it's gone for a $hit ?  !!!!

I finished work in beamsville around 3:00 so on my way home I stopped by CCIW. Fished for two hours before I had to leave. No takers but it was nice to be there again. I can’t wait for spring when that place is “hot”.  Today’s menu was crushed boilie, expanding pellets and pinkberry goo in pva mesh with pinkberry scented boilie/floating corn.

How did I not catch something 🤔.....

F5DDF143-1885-44A0-8F4E-8B4131889B4F.jpeg

F84355D7-4D82-4714-AFFF-8451AC703C02.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Need more colour  Tyler   !   Try red split shot .....ha !

You put a lot of work and time into your carp baits and they still won't dine on your offerings .Something is wrong with those carp . Sometimes a single kernel of corn will entice them ....what moody fish !

This winter especially , I thought the carping would be better than normal . I hope we get a chance to pick their brains through the ice a few times .  🧐

16 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I finished work in beamsville around 3:00 so on my way home I stopped by CCIW. Fished for two hours before I had to leave. No takers but it was nice to be there again. I can’t wait for spring when that place is “hot”.  Today’s menu was crushed boilie, expanding pellets and pinkberry goo in pva mesh with pinkberry scented boilie/floating corn.

F5DDF143-1885-44A0-8F4E-8B4131889B4F.jpeg

F84355D7-4D82-4714-AFFF-8451AC703C02.jpeg

I think the carp go deep into the lake in the winter and go back in harbors in the spring/summer. You might catch the odd one but that's about it.

I have seen carp iced at Jordan Marina in 10 fow . We got one a few years ago in 7 fow at Martindale pond while ice fishing for perch ....lots of weeds there all winter ...all took minnows. I hope to try the bottom end of Martindale pond (Rennie pond) where it's 10 -16' deep with some weeds and a few runoff spots from road culverts ....They may be hanging close to shore in 5-10 fow looking for road kill . At least we can use 2 rods  on the ice ,thus trying  more baits  ....Tyler's pictures keep me PEEKED  !!!    🥶

2 hours ago, steelshady said:

I think the carp go deep into the lake in the winter and go back in harbors in the spring/summer. You might catch the odd one but that's about it.

I agree with you. But most lake places I can’t park n fish. I have no shelter so winter is a lil chilly on the beach. 

53 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I agree with you. But most lake places I can’t park n fish. I have no shelter so winter is a lil chilly on the beach. 

You need to save your $$$  and buy a NICE bivvy  . Since you fish day and night you can take a cot and use it 24/7/ 364   (not Christmas) .....  This one looks fit for hard or soft water ....just need a few ice anchors .  :Gonefishing:

Carpstar-Pleasure-Dome-1-Man-Carp-Fishing-Bivvy-Day-Shelter-Tent-0-1.jpg

....foot note....checking local temps , next 5 days , well below freezing ....then back to summer for another spell.....   :(

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

You need to save your $$$  and buy a NICE bivvy  . Since you fish day and night you can take a cot and use it 24/7/ 364   (not Christmas) .....  This one looks fit for hard or soft water ....just need a few ice anchors .  :Gonefishing:

Carpstar-Pleasure-Dome-1-Man-Carp-Fishing-Bivvy-Day-Shelter-Tent-0-1.jpg

....foot note....checking local temps , next 5 days , well below freezing ....then back to summer for another spell.....   :(

definitely one of my next purchases, girlfriend will really love me this year not coming home for weekends

• 2 weeks later...

After ice fishing with bigugli  and watching him getting  more action after using a special crappie Gulp bait , I  assume that scent matters .....maybe  the carp would like some of that stuff .

What a gorgeous pic of your set up in the snow, Tyler.

I remember fishing in the snow regularly in the winter, but it was years ago in Dundas at this one spot know to area carpers.  It was a canal that never froze over and we'd catch everything from carp to goldfish to hybrids( Half goldfish half carp.  They looked like a small carp with no barbels ).  Anyhoo, it was a fun time and great to be able to extend carp fishing into the winter months, and taking the classic "snow carp" photo of your catch on the snow.  

Unfortunately, I found out the current was because it was an outflow used by an area water treatment plant so my desire to fish there ended.  Now fishing isn't allowed there anymore anyways as the RBG has taken over the area to naturalize the banks and make a trail for hiking.  Pretty place for butterfly and bird photographers, now.         

5 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

RBG has taken over the area

Well , we have the RBR here in St.Kitts  ( Root Beer River)  . I would expect to see open water there now as the water travels under ground for a few hundred meters ....it's the tail end of the old canal from Thorold where 5 paper mills once discharged their waste which created a nice thick foam on the root beer water which mixed into the 12 Mile to Port Dalhousie .

I think it may be worth a try to wet a line for carp there .....   (calling marth11)   ?