Winter carping

Tyler0420

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

There will be a couple spots on the upper Niagara in the next few weeks that will be teaming with huge schools of big carp

What’s going on Sunday the 15th jack? I’ll be at the fort Erie show then fishing afterwards. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

What’s going on Sunday the 15th jack? I’ll be at the fort Erie show then fishing afterwards. 

So far I got nothing up...I could probably meet up and show you a couple spots to try

Scouted out a couple spots when I drove my daughter home today....looks like shaping up nice...baitfish around...with the temps forecast over the next week it should be worth a shot

Nice shot Tyler .....maybe the sunshine tomorrow will get the carp in the mood for some treats ! 

I raided the Dollar store today & got some cream corn for 50 cents  a can .  Oiling up the Mad Dragon -Bait Runner tonight !

I  wonder if carp will take bread balls dipped in cream corn ....worth a try .....

I met a young guy fishing for trout at Port today .....nice chatting his ear off , and he is just getting into carp fishing . I told him to tune in here for some good carp reads .....hope to see him join in the fun .....

• 9 months later...

Nice picture Ty  !  The snow looks like snow  covered reeds ....

Nice out right now , I should be fishing ! 

I have a  new lady in the house  .....her name is Alexa .... She will tell you anything !!  My first question for  her was ....

" What is a hair rig " ?  

Alexa said ...." It was a way to rig a hook with the bait outside the hook "  (something similar) :)

She's my kind of lady !   I have a million questions for her .....    :read: 

20 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I have a  new lady in the house  .....her name is Alexa .... She will tell you anything !!  My first question for  her was ....

" What is a hair rig " ?  

Alexa said ...." It was a way to rig a hook with the bait outside the hook "  (something similar) :)

Don’t forget...

She is ALWAYS listening 👂 

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

" What is a hair rig " ?  

Lmao.  
now they aren’t just keeping track of you their listening to your conversations also......

On 12/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, Tyler0420 said:

The main apartment in the house I live in is fully voice controlled. “Google turn on Laundry lights” boom their on. “Google turn on country music” done...

"In the Year 2525" ....  We need a robot  ( Hey Robbie ....bring me a beer  ) ...   (Hey Robbie ...vacuum the rug ) ...oops  , we already have that one ! ha !

Oh yes ,   about those carp ..... saw a few jumping at the aqueduct yesterday .....took a 40 sec.video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EYv8yod3A&ab_channel=KYAfield     

.....and yes ,  they are on the menu in Kentucky restaurants !    :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Very cold last night ,where's the ice there ?  It was 18*F here this morning (now 40*F)  I'm sure Rennie Pond iced over last night .....but will be gone later today .... :coldsmiley:

Picture looks very carpish !     :Gonefishing: 

Reports coming in about 2 scuba divers in Welland ...one is now out and the other can be seen still under the ice .....

....hoping they survived ok ....

The canal has been drained , no ships... tons of rock being brought in to shore up the bank ,all trees gone !  ...BIG project !   

I have a heavier ice fishing rig ready to try ...stronger rod & reel , 12 lb. line ,  drop shot rig with larger Octopus hook , 6" off bottom and 3 oz.weight on bottom (  bolt rig)  . I'll use it every time I go ice fishing for perch .....nice to have 2 rods !  :Gonefishing:

• 3 weeks later...

Funny how new vids come up on You Tube after clearing the cookies , etc. .....

This one was interesting to see a young guy carping (with 2 rods) near Reagan Airport when a bunch of  cops show up . As he was talking to the police , his rods were bouncing with a carp on each one !!   The voices of the police were hard to hear so I missed some of the conversation . He was told he could fish the opposite side of the river which he did ...

Some of the comments are funny .... one said "that cop was wishing he could grab that other bouncing rod "  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqhv7zl2sks&ab_channel=IHUNTA

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I wish I was Carpin now. Atleast if I’m getting skunked I could be sitting in my truck. 

I have been rigging up some ice lines today . Two light rods for smelt ,plus some cheese cloth & roe bag baits .....

also have a couple perch /pike rods rigged up for using live minnows ....

...and one heavier rod for ice fishing carp & cheese cloth bags with cut up minnows for scent (  brain fart)

here's the "clan" ,ready for some action . 

short rods for smelts , longer ones for perch/pike/ ? , one one the right rigged for carp .....SOON !!  

Ice Rods.jpg

• 1 year later...

Got out yesterday evening for a couple hours at Lasalle marina. No luck but was good to get out anyways. Rain was on and off the whole time. I fished pva bags filled with crushed boilies. 
Today I fed my local lake in hopes of bringing in some carp to fish in a few days. Off to work now, might fish this evening on the way home. 

B64D96B4-E39A-4799-8C06-91EFAD0649A4.jpeg

AFA0BBE9-C479-4B06-B473-9DCBB71BB488.jpeg

Good idea with the PVA bags . I forgot I have some . Can you put maize in them if  the juice is wiped clean ?

Maybe a small stone inside to sink them in deep water , like 30 feet deep ?

My carp rods are on 'stand by' , ready when needed !  Maybe need some extra 'heat' in the baits.

The cement capping looks like it's covered with ice ....  Got your creepers on ?   :santa:

It’s kinda tricky putting corn in pva. Gotta make sure it’s dry and squeeze the water out. If you compact it in the bag the juices will come out of the corn and dissolve the bag. Fill the bag with oats maybe to absorb any juice that comes out of the corn. I use crushed boilie or a stick mix. you can definitely add a stone to help it sink faster in deep water or double bag it to slow the dissolving process . The cold water takes longer to dissolve the pva. 
no ice on the cement it was all water. Could make for some dangerous conditions if it was ice. 

The cement looks like it's slick some... salt or sand might be handy to have on hand. When I had the F150 I put 4 large 40# ice salt bags in the bed . It comes in handy if you are stuck on ice , just toss a shovel full under the wheels . I see guys using cement blocks or large patio stones in the pickups .....not a great idea in a crash .

Maybe drying the corn on a paper towel then rolling the ball in flour just before using the pva bag would work , or leave the paper towel wrapped around it .Other products like CORNmeal migh help also . My noggin goes into high gear when coming up with "alternative thinking" We Pisces are known for being dreamers ....  :Gonefishing:

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Maybe drying the corn on a paper towel then rolling the ball in flour just before using the pva bag would work , or leave the paper towel wrapped around it .Other products like CORNmeal migh help also . My noggin goes into high gear when coming up with "alternative thinking" We Pisces are known for being dreamers ....  :Gonefishing:

I use paper towel. All your corn additives would work. 

Rain today so no work. Fished local lake from 10:30-4pm 🦨ed. I did get to watch the lake thaw while it was raining that was a blast 🙄
need some more of the lake to open up so I can get to deeper waters(6fow). I was fishing 2-3fow. 90+% of the lake still had ice on it. 1 carp before she freezes over again would be nice. 

C06B5643-51B9-4BDC-BAAF-5449320ED563.jpeg