Another Wednesday off

Jwl1

Got a text this morning about having the day off....man I wish I could plan better ahead or I would have rounded up someone to join me....by about 11 the itch got me so I headed out for a few casts...river is cleaning up a bit but still not that ideal...but with a bit of time and effort you get get something shiny out of the tarnish..lol...seems a run of bigger sized fish came in with the cold snap...got a couple decent sized ones today...no real need to share techniques and bait tips...I always do what's tried and true for me...no new secrets up my sleeve that I haven't shared in the past.....had to keep a chrome for a friends table ....dont usually but one was a bleeder and I'm not a wasteful guy....another one must have gotten embarrassed cuz man its cheeks turned red when I told him that fishing joke...haha

20200122_122202.jpg

20200122_114824.jpg

20200122_114820.jpg

Couple of my biggest this winter so far..the chromer was around 10...the buck a bit bigger..he had a gut on him...lol..bring on a few more super cold days!!!!! 

7 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

bring on a few more super cold days!!!!! 

Yes Jack , we need more super cold days , but doesn't that plug up your guides quickly ?

Nice going on those two NICE ones ....real beauties .

As for the guides...my steelie rod has bigger and ceramic....a bit of cooking spray helps on the super cold days and doesn't degrade the line....

On 1/22/2020 at 2:39 PM, Jwl1 said:

Got a text this morning about having the day off....man I wish I could plan better ahead or I would have rounded up someone to join me....by about 11 the itch got me so I headed out for a few casts...river is cleaning up a bit but still not that ideal...but with a bit of time and effort you get get something shiny out of the tarnish..lol...seems a run of bigger sized fish came in with the cold snap...got a couple decent sized ones today...no real need to share techniques and bait tips...I always do what's tried and true for me...no new secrets up my sleeve that I haven't shared in the past.....had to keep a chrome for a friends table ....dont usually but one was a bleeder and I'm not a wasteful guy....another one must have gotten embarrassed cuz man its cheeks turned red when I told him that fishing joke...haha

20200122_122202.jpg

20200122_114824.jpg

20200122_114820.jpg

7 minutes ago, cplummer said:

Use my Niagara streamer Jack?

Orange crush from last season out with you has got all my fish so far this season....lost my last one because of someone downstream a mile from me tangled my line..then had the audacity to try to tell me to watch where I casted....lol...while in the meantime I was casting straight out from myself not even remotely downstream....and funny how never once got tangled with the people who where 2 feet on either side of me 🤔🤪🤣....need to get out and get some more off you

On 1/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, Jwl1 said:

As for the guides...my steelie rod has bigger and ceramic....a bit of cooking spray helps on the super cold days and doesn't degrade the line....

Braid Jack ?  Some of my older braid will soak up moisture (oils) while my newest braid that Peter's spooled up my carp reel is coated to repel water . I tend to favour mono when casting in minus temps. How about soaking the spool of line  on the reel with "spray" silicone .... would it degrade the line ? 

No braid bill....and I use 6 and 8lb test for all my fishing in the river...casts farther...doesn't cut into your guides or reel if you dont have gear designed for braid...and I like line that breaks off easy if I have a tough snag...most of the snags where I fish are from the miles of braid and heavy line that someone had to cut a mile off of....lol

Ya Jack , some spots are a carpet of 20 - 50#  braid ....probably loaded with trout flies , roe , spoons , etc.

BTW ....it don't look good as we may be getting an inch of rain tonight into Sat. , then an inch of snow ....ugh !! :unsure:

It was nice out when I went fishing earlier....too nice...bite was on and so was the zoo...bring on the cold!!!!...makes more of the zoo animals hibernate...although there are always the odd one you wouldn't mind making like a Floridian iguana 😮🌲🦎🤣

Archived