Lack of tackle shops

Jwl1

Hey what gives???...I know there cant be much money in it in this day and age....but I just took a trip to our local shop a few minutes ago only to find it closed...I expected it to be closed tomorrow but was surprised to find it closed today as well....my work schedule makes it hard for me to plan ahead...I have been able to go the odd weekday lately....was hoping to grab a couple essentials incase I am off tomorrow afternoon....pulled in and found it closed....so day off or not..there blows tomorrow and thus probably no fishing for over a week again.....unfortunate enough that they open so late in the morn....but now closed 2 days during the week really puts a squash on it...lol....on a side note to that....last couple times I did hit the river have heard people make the same complaint....a couple of you on here that sell your wares could easily make a couple bucks by heading down with some stuff for sale....I have seen it done years back...once word got out I am sure there's a few bucks to be made on the side🎣

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a few tackle shops here years ago . Old timers may remember Garden City Baits on Welland Ave .,  Russ Mosher Tackle and Herzog's on St.Paul St.  (I still have my Canadian made hunting coat from the 50's in good shape from Mosher's)  . Some may remember "Beezo" from Port Weller who had a big basement crammed with tackle....I also bought some tackle from Holmes Hardware on Pelham Rd . in the 50's. 

Enter the www ....buy on line direct from China .....enter Bass Pro the big box store ...  Walmart ....Can. Tire ...It's only a matter of time the big players grab it all ,  that's capitalism .....

Guys selling some tackle from your home made hobby is a drop in the bucket and appealing to many ....and tax free  lol

I hope our "local"  shop will be open for years to come . It's the slow season now , not many people fishing locally in this crappy weather ! 

im Done with bass pro, walked out with nothing the last two times I went.  Ct their prices are ridiculous, thought big box stores were suppose to be cheaper.  I hate how most tackle shops don’t open till 9:00am and I wanna be on the water by 6am then they close at 5:00 and I work till 7.  

3 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

im Done with bass pro, walked out with nothing the last two times I went.  Ct their prices are ridiculous, thought big box stores were suppose to be cheaper.  I hate how most tackle shops don’t open till 9:00am and I wanna be on the water by 6am then they close at 5:00 and I work till 7.  

Yes, it has to be a day before type of planning. I feel, if anything a bait shop should be available from 5 am, on the weekends. But a small shop has to pay staff to do so. Its all a trade off. There used to be time of honor system self serve or vending machines.

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I agree Tyler, big box stores aren’t for me either. I’ve honestly had bass pro gift cards for years now and just bring myself to going there. Cabelas- never been inside of one. Walmart just plain stinks and CT once in a while has a good deal on rapalas or something but I’ll never go to CT to go shopping for fishing items. I just walk through the isle while I’m there getting other household items.  I’m lucky enough to live close enough to Fishing World in Hamilton. Hours for me there aren’t so bad but I’m always stocked up or planned well ahead of my outing so I don’t need to go there at 5am.  

Drove all the way to Niagara Bass What Ever@%$#& the other day because of a item I was looking for that was on sale on their online site.

Half tank of gas to find out price was in US funds, "I freaked" I think the whole store herd me. NEVER GO BACK THERE AGAIN !!!!!!!

Good one Bruce:D:D

2 minutes ago, Captain Hooksets said:

I’m from Stoney creek and there was once a small store in my neighbourhood that I just remembered.  I can’t remember the name of it but it was pretty strange;  it was half plumbing and half fishing. Buy your P traps and rattle traps at the same location. 🤷‍♂️.

Grew up in Stoney Creek, Margaret Ave. Was it the Hardware in town or near the corner of Grays & 8

Nowadays seems only the biggest shops thrive. Niagara Falls had many small tackle shops try back in the day and none survived as Peter's sort of had the monopoly on the area. Now trying to compete with online retailers its even tougher. Live in London area now and we have a few big stores in the area like Angling Sports and Angling outfitters. Few small shops known for their service are well established and aren't going anywhere either. Sail is supposed to be setting up shop shortly so we will see how that will effect the local buisness. Days of the 5am local shop are gone. Best to stay stocked and ready to go at a moments notice. Or its also a great opportunity to switch up techniques. If its terminal tackle you need (pencil lead, hooks, etc) try tossing hardware for a few hours, sometimes I've stumbled upon very succesful patterns just like that... 

...terminal tackle yes..that happens no big box stores carry at all....as for hardware...its time ..place...location...I already know what works and where for what i am fishing for and what time of year...haha...been doing it for decades in all the places I fish....i was trying to "plan"..an unplanned fishing day...lol...i may have to totally change tactics..target species and location all together now..or stay home and bug the crap out of the wife...lol....i would rather go fishing..i bug the crap out of her every day anyhow...haha

Take a drive out to port Colborne ...it's open everyday except Sunday I believe ...more geared up for Erie but they do have most stuff there as far as hooks sinkers swivels rods reels line lures but not so much the corkies streamers type things...and probably a bit pricier but if you guys know what you would typically be using this time of year why not stock up and save on your gas money instead of making several trips across town?spend that has money on stock and if somethings working that you don't have then make the trip...Erie trackers also has minnow shack open all night 5$ a scoop for minnows if your in need of bait early morning or some night fishing..I've been shopping at Peter's since it opened in like 1993-94...always great prices and just about everything you could need..I think if Angela could find a knowledgable worker to be there full time she may open up earlier and or be closed less but good helps hard to find at minimum wages. Just my 2 cents!

2 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

You got it- grays and 8!!! Quite familiar with Margaret ave area btw! 

I grew up on the escarpment off of Dewitt so I’m also familiar with the area, plus my grandparents had a house off of grays & 8, five minute walk, never seen a tackle store near there, just curious how long ago this was

17 minutes ago, Bass-turd said:

I grew up on the escarpment off of Dewitt so I’m also familiar with the area, plus my grandparents had a house off of grays & 8, five minute walk, never seen a tackle store near there, just curious how long ago this was

Had to have been in and around 1992ish -1996ish. I remember riding my bike there when I was kid. I can’t remember how long it was there for. It was in the plaza where the big bonus variety store is now.

3 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

I’ve honestly had bass pro gift cards for years now

Same here with Tim Horton gift cards ...can't bring myself to buy their coffee after how they treated their staff ....BUT , they already have the money so I keep the card in my van in case there's no alternative near by ... like Jordan....

So Capt.Hooksets ....take your wife or other to B.P . and buy some clothes ....real nice stuff and priced reasonable ....they have money anyway !

Where's Mr."Finnigan"  ?  I  went there on Queen St. N.F. and bought a bunch of senkos ...still have some !

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Where's Mr."Finnigan"  ?  I  went there on Queen St. N.F. and bought a bunch of senkos ...still have some !

The same problem lots of small shops had'  Not making enough money, or retired and no one willing to take over/buy it out.

I find you have to wait for the sales at bass pro for it to be worth it.  Remember they will price match anything on the Cabelas site as they are the "same store".  I just recently purchased an inflatable life vest for 99, and the cabelas site had the same one listed for 219.  Such a monopoly.  You just have to do your research.!!!   Sometimes I compare prices between the local shop and the big box, and it's hit and miss. sometimes local is cheeper, and sometimes big box is.  I would much rather support the local however. 

7 hours ago, bigugli said:

The same problem lots of small shops had'  Not making enough money, or retired and no one willing to take over/buy it out.

Like Raso's Bruce .....bought my first Stradic 4000 from him many years ago ......and went to see Peter Kormos next door during my divorce .....  🤠

The only stuff I buy at the big box stores is clothes and terminal tackle. I buy all my gear from Bill's, FW, GT and Peter's but none of them have the selection of hooks, swivels, snap's that I like unfortunately.

For me, while I might be able to save a few bucks here or there, the selection of everything else at the little shops makes it worth a couple of points here or there. A lot of times the little shops are the same price even. The boys and I like to do a road trip every couple months so we start at Bill's and work our way down the QEW.

The small shops do a great job competing with the big box stores . Grimsby tackle had a guy  who repaired reels & fixed my broken Stratic 4000 very quickly . Both shops give us something the box stores don't have ......knowledge and great service . They will show you how to rig up for carp , 3 way bottom bouncing , how to rig up a wacky Senco , spool you up with no line waste , etc etc etc .

Archived