Lack of tackle shops

Jwl1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a whole, your local shops will have knowledge and potentially lures/rods/reels that are better suited to the area.  You also have a better chance at finding a less common brand if you are looking for something specific (or they will try and bring it in).

The "big ol' mean box stores" "should" provide better pricing.  They might also carry a larger selection when it comes to color/weight options on lures.  Bass Pro does have knowledgeable people in their fishing department, but unlike a "local" shop, these people as a whole don't live and breath fishing.  Canadian Tire and Walmart ... well I expect zero knowledge to come from talking to anyone there with how they have reduced staffing from what it used to be to try and keep things in the black. 

Somebody mentioned online competition. I follow a yootoober who does his fishing videos pushing the products he is using, successfully at that. So now he opened his online store that carries the products he's pushing. Pricing is higher, but not stuff you can get at stores. He has good enough following for Toronto area because of ice fishing, so of course eager fishermen will want to match his success and support him. 

Its something I'd love to do, but I'm about 10 years too late to share my tips and tricks for ice fishing on yootoob in same manner.

Be nice for some of the smaller stores to stick around but I just dont see it. Only the larger already established ones with 6 figure+ inventory seem to thrive. They're not keeping the doors open selling hooks, sinkers and a dozen worms to somebody.  They make they're profits on volume of mid-high end rods, reels, electronics, etc. Someone just starting would need to have a spare million there willing to gamble if they're looking to compete... personally I do my research and know what I want or need before stepping in the store and don't see a tackle shop employee swaying my purchase. Although if I do see a good sale on something unexpected I have a bad habit of leaving with it even though I never knew I needed it

water level report for December

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/water-overview/quantity/great-lakes-levels-related-data/levelnews-great-lakes-st-lawrence/december-2019.html

At least on Lake Ontario they should start letting the heavy flow out of the Cornwall dam to try and get ahead of the spring flooding.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:30 PM, Captain Hooksets said:

You got it- grays and 8!!! Quite familiar with Margaret ave area btw! 

Orvis was a Fly Fishing shop that used to be where Stoney Inn was near Grays and 8, Didn't last long, it was a high end Fly Fishing shop.

Yes, need to support our local stores or they will disappear. For me either Grimsby Tackle or Fishing World. Both have great selection and prices and best of all know what they are talking about. If they don't have it in stock they can get it in pretty quick as well. 

The staff at Bass Pro and Sail all "know it all" just ask them! I was in Bass Pro to pick up a box of rifle cartridges that Fishing World was out of and had to wait 10 minutes while the sales guy recommended a 17 HMR to a customer as the best coyote round there is. "Shoots like a laser and destroys them as far as you can hit them". Another friend of a friend just getting into hunting this year was sold a 20 gauge shotgun this past year specifically for goose hunting on their recommendation. Buddy bought a new kicker motor and fish finder and had them rig his boat, what a mess. They spiced into his fuel line with valve so you had to manually turn the valve to either the main motor or the kicker, they also wired his fish finder to the same battery as the trolling motor so when he ran the trolling motor it created crazy interference rendering it useless.

The best was Rasso's Best Value in Welland, John was the best. ask him for something and he'd drag out a big box from a pile of other boxes, rummage around up to his armpit and pull out exactly what you wanted. Ask him how much and he'd say whatever it is in the Lebaron's catalogue. You could buy Milk, Bread, fishing tackle or a shotgun!

Erie Bait in the Falls was our regular spot for minnows or worms back in the day.

Ah yes..good ole Erie bait....they would even open up early for me and my buddy if we told them ahead of time we where coming for minnows..if you went late in the morning chances where also you where too late because they went fishing..haha..and you would have to wait until the afternoon when they got back.....if you had a broken reel they always seemed to have a box full of random stuff you could pick through...they would often even buy worms and salmon roe off us as well or make a great trade off of goods because we where just spending the money there anyhow...lol

6 hours ago, мормышка said:

I remember Steve's Custom Tackle. First on Main St. and then on Lakeport Rd.

Eastside Bait & Tackle on Rooker Rd. ….. great location, but shame about the break ins.

Wow ...I forgot about those two guys ... Steve Wells & Ted Rooker were to two main tackle guys at Port Dalhousie ! 

That's going back a long way ....didn't think you were that old .....:o

Last time I saw Ted ,  many years ago , he was all dressed up and having a coffee at Timmies there ...NICE people !

On the way to my ultra sound today I drove passed that old bait'n tackle shop on Welland Ave , near Vine St. ,and there's still a sign in the window saying MINNOW   🐳

1 hour ago, verado said:

I was in the Sail store in Burlington looking for a .22 pellet gun. The gun expert told me I must be confused as there is no such thing, only .177

Wow that must mean I have an imaginary pellet rifle on my fireplace....lol

On 1/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, Fish Farmer said:

Drove all the way to Niagara Bass What Ever@%$#& the other day because of a item I was looking for that was on sale on their online site.

Half tank of gas to find out price was in US funds, "I freaked" I think the whole store herd me. NEVER GO BACK THERE AGAIN !!!!!!!

Good one Bruce:D:D

Not to stick up for them to much but soon as you open their website it tells you all prices are in US dollars and to shop Cabelas for Canadian prices 

Screenshot_20200131-143527_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 hours ago, Lund-SS said:

Not to stick up for them to much but soon as you open their website it tells you all prices are in US dollars and to shop Cabelas for Canadian prices 

I assume prices at the store here are in Canadian funds .   It would be to their advantage to post on line pricing in Canadian funds . Who knows how many  got ticked off like F.F.  and won't go back .....I was there once with my wife when they first opened to check it out ....she liked the clothing  ! 

16 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Is Fishin Niagara A store? I’ve launched my boat across the street on the upper Niagara but have never actually tried to go in. 

Never seems to be open any more.

17 hours ago, smerchly said:

I assume prices at the store here are in Canadian funds .   It would be to their advantage to post on line pricing in Canadian funds . Who knows how many  got ticked off like F.F.  and won't go back .....I was there once with my wife when they first opened to check it out ....she liked the clothing  ! 

Best not to take the wife to any outdoor stores incase they realize what fishing and hunting equipment actually costs!😜

2 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

Best not to take the wife to any outdoor stores incase they realize what fishing and hunting equipment actually costs!😜

Those Master card statements always squeal on me  !!    🐷 

You paid WHAT for that reel ???    😲

On 1/31/2020 at 9:36 PM, Captain Hooksets said:

Is Fishin Niagara A store? I’ve launched my boat across the street on the upper Niagara but have never actually tried to go in. 

On 1/28/2020 at 6:30 PM, Captain Hooksets said:

Orvis was a Fly Fishing shop that used to be where Stoney Inn was near Grays and 8, Didn't last long, it was a high end Fly Fishing shop.

On 2/2/2020 at 6:23 AM, Fish Farmer said:
On 1/28/2020 at 6:30 PM, Captain Hooksets said:

Yeah , that was started by Searle Industries. They manufactured clay targets for trap and skeet shooting in a facility at 35 Covington, just off Barton . They had a high end gun shop at the front of the factory and I spent a lot of bucks there in the 70's.  Expanding and moving into the Orvis shop was their downfall and as you say it didn't last long. 

On 2/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, bigugli said:

Never seems to be open any more.

I think thats because he spends most of his time out fishing.

I've been to Ft. Erie 3 times in the past few weeks trying for pickerel by the ramp (no luck of course), and every time I've seen him out in his boat fishing the river.

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2021 at 8:43 PM, Jim Krauskopf said:

I bought an old rod from a a fellow saying this 12' with no Labels was built by Steve Wells out of Port Dalhousie 

Steve had a Tackle Shop in the 80's, first in the front of a home on Main, later on a store on Lakeport think it was, catered mostly to the salmon and steelhead crowd.

edit : that vintage the Fenwick HMG 1441 blank was really popular in the 12 footer, it was a true noodle rod, 2-6 pound line.

Archived