Jordan Harbour Marina

smerchly

A while back we mentioned Campbell's Marina  at Jordan . I can't find it in the archives , but  the owner was Don Campbell .....going way back to the 50's here .....

I was very surprised to see Don passed away yesterday   .............

"Owner of Campbell's Boats (Jordan Harbour) for almost 40 years. Don's happiest times were spent with family, skiing whether it be in Ellicottville, Whistler or Lake Louise or on his various fishing and hunting trips"..........taken from the Standard obituaries .....his photo included .

May he rest in peace .....   

I remember visiting my cousin who lived on the east side of St.Kitts (Waverly Rd.) in the early 50's . I rode from west St.Kitts & it took about 20 minutes on my balloon tire one speed .There was traffic lights at the QEW and Welland Ave then . ....very few vehicles using it .  They had to cross the Welland Ship Canal via the Homer Bridge to get to Niagara Falls and the wait could be 20 min.+ sometimes .  Jordan Harbour was a busy place with the marina on the west side and a beach on the lake side .

Dave , that picture was probably taken in the 30's !  Wayyyyy before my time .....;)

....some Wiki info .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_Way

The last two I remember well . My  first car , a 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak torpedo back might be in that parking lot . There was a big old house beside the QEW where the original road came into the marina  ....memories !

Is that from way back in the days when you old fellas where yo ho ho ing with a bottle of rum and building that pirate ship?😂

"Those were the days my friend"   We rented a heavy steel flat bottom boat for a buck with a set of oars and a cement anchor which was  needed to keep the cats from dragging us out to sea .....

...  🏴‍☠️

• 1 year later...

I'm so happy to find this forum!

I am a regular paddler of Jordan Harbour, ever since inheriting my Mother's cedar strip canoe.

Now with kayaks, 16 Mile Creek, 15 Mile Creek, Charles Daley Park and Lake Ontario are my retirement home!

This past Covid summer, 2020, NO TRESPASSING Signs have gone up, in the parking lot to the west of the Beacon Motor Inn, trying to block off access to Jordan Beach, the break walls and the La Grande Hermine.

This is a very popular public fishing and swimming area. I see by some of the history posted, it was in the early 2000's when the QEW blocked up some of the marina access to Lake Ontario, causing it to close. Does anyone have information on the construction timelines for the break wall construction? I have asked our MP and MPP to look into who owns this land, so that access will not be restricted in the coming season.

These beaches are more important now, than ever! Thanks,...Brian

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

Archived