Upper river

Jmaz4

Long time no talk or fishing for that matter! 

Anyways besides going up to nosbonsing during xmas break its been awhile since iv felt qhat a fish feels like on your line. ( all dinks in nosbonsing)

Yesterday me and a buddy decided to get out. Dusted out the boat and ventured to the upper river. To be honest it was absolutely gorgeous out. Dressed for it obviously. 

Boat fired up first try which is always relieving. We set up shop and anchored tried jigs, swim baits, and even minnows. Seemed like the fish were turned off. Saw one boat bring in a walleye while we were anchored.

So we decided to drift. First drift in my buddy lands a beautiful steelhead. After that, fish turned off again drifted for awhile and nothing. So we anchored and aet up shop again tossing everything.

After looaing multple jig head and plastic to snags i have one rod left that was set up for a minnow so i through it out. Didnt even touch bottom and wham!  A jice chunky walleye. Decided it was to big to keep, and the belly was fat! So unsure if preganant or it just ate a football haha. 

All in all it was nice to get out and catch a couple! Totally worth it. 

Hope everyones doing well! 

Cheers!

IMG_9677.jpg

Upper river is a tricky one to figure out for sure....that spot you are sitting in the pic can produce some nice walleye....good on you guys for putting the chunky spawner back.....spent alot of hours targeting steelies on the upper...like the challenge because it's way harder than fishing the lower river for them...you really have to concentrate on a couple areas...its hard on tackle...lol...and you can get some nice incidental catches in the mix...lakers..browns...Atlantic's...muskies...walleye all on the same gear...thanks for sharing

On 2/3/2020 at 7:10 PM, FishingDayz said:

Are there many salmon in the upper?

Very few, but I know of a couple caught in Erie tribs this past fall. 

Archived