Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Snags

Coyotes Found Dead in NOTL

Recommended Posts

St. Catharines Substandard Article

 

While I don't support the activity of hunting to kill and dump ... southern ontario is very overrun by coyotes and it appears no one wants to tackle it.  While most people are unaware of it, if you walk through any park in the city and there is a good sign that you will see signs of their existence (if you know what you are looking at).  A few areas (such as near the Game and Fish) have signs up saying CAUTION COYOTES.  In this instance it is probably a farmer who has had enough of the run around and decided to take matters into their own hands, but as a whole this is not good for the hunters in Niagara.

 

Combine that with giving this nut job  and her team a voice ... this is just a bad article and giving the non-hunters more ammunition for their quest to  end hunting (ignoring the fact this was not a legal kill).  I was about to comment on the article on the standard's facebook page ... but decided against it with how everyone wants to flog anyone who has a different opinion of the masses.  I have been out in NOTL after dark in the spring and 10 less coyotes isn't even a blip in their population with how they were talking the one night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you need to say something, you should. There may be others thinking same thing as you but afraid of backlash. Usually when you say something others will comment on your side too.

 

Sampson hasn't offered solutions only her sadness. "thrill kill" is meant to make people turn against hunters (and guns, if guns involved).

 

Dumping coyotes like this will attract more. They will eat their own in this manner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the mnr should retrieve a couple of the yotes and find the cause of death . I hope they were not poisoned . Other animals may be a risk as well .  People who comment on facebook , twitter , etc. risk consequences , not worth getting involved with "social gab-festing" .

   If they were shot by a farmer and dumped there ......they probably had good reason to kill them..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might even get to the bottom of it on a timely manor...just so happens in my work travels the last couple days..I have seen the warden's truck around....this afternoon while I was headed out Lincoln way I saw the truck at Charles D ...if they happened to be poisoned like smerch mention that could be detrimental to other animals...even scavenging birds....if they where just killed for no apparent reason that's not cool...a nuisance killing however where a farmer might feel threatened or losing livestock that's another thing all together..but you would think the ones who do it ethically acquire the proper nuisance tags to shoot them...and at that dispose of the  carcasses accordingly...I agree that there are many areas throughout Niagara that are infected with them...I help take care of a couple rural properties and often see a crapload of paw prints within feet of the front door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah , they really need to dispose of the carcasses more discreetly, I assume there is not enough money in the pelts anymore to make it worth while skinning and shipping to the fur auction like we did in the late '70's. Back then we'd get 50 to 60 bucks a pelt and making $7 a hr. at a good job, like a days pay per yote.

Edited by dave524

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 6:53 PM, dave524 said:

Yeah , they really need to dispose of the carcasses more discreetly, I assume there is not enough money in the pelts anymore to make it worth while skinning and shipping to the fur auction like we did in the late '70's. Back then we'd get 50 to 60 bucks a pelt and making $7 a hr. at a good job, like a days pay per yote.

Maybe some people have found some magic parts in yotes to enhance their sexual "skills" .....

 

I thought the killing of bears for their gall bladders and paws was a thing of the passed ....until I read this story . It seems we can't convince "these people"  that there's no magic in this practice . ......but what can we expect when "some" people eat bats, rats , cats , dogs , snakes , or almost anything that moves.......( or releasing some carp species to take the "evil spirits away )  :wall:

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/toronto-woman-among-5-convicted-in-selling-of-black-bears-gallbladders-paws

Edited by smerchly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Maybe some people have found some magic parts in yotes to enhance their sexual "skills" .....

 

I thought the killing of bears for their gall bladders and paws was a thing of the passed ....until I read this story . It seems we can't convince "these people"  that there's no magic in this practice . ......but what can we expect when "some" people eat bats, rats , cats , dogs , snakes , or almost anything that moves.......( or releasing some carp species to take the "evil spirits away )  :wall:

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/toronto-woman-among-5-convicted-in-selling-of-black-bears-gallbladders-paws

Yes makes you wonder how some people think! There are still witch doctors grinding up Albino's in parts of Africa and and using them for good luck potions to sell. 

That would be a good thing if they could switch to Coyotes, maybe cormorants and gobies too and leave the bears, and even endangered species such as rhinos and tigers alone. I would imagine that there are big bucks involved in this illegal trade and the one convicted received a paltry $3,000 fine. The article says the the others "face fines up to $29,000" .  They will probable get a $3,000 fine too once convicted. A slap on the wrist. No deterrent or punishment doled out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

A slap on the wrist. No deterrent or punishment doled out here.

That is the problem .....the deterrent is still worth breaking our laws .....and in so many other ways as well .  On the news a few days ago ....a huge  warehouse full of sharp fins for sale .....The world hasn't progressed much from the cave days ......

 (don't plan a train ride for a while) ........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smerchly said:

That is the problem .....the deterrent is still worth breaking our laws .....and in so many other ways as well .  On the news a few days ago ....a huge  warehouse full of sharp fins for sale .....The world hasn't progressed much from the cave days ......

 (don't plan a train ride for a while) ........

Yes, and the new reality that if you call out a specific group for bad behaviour you are called out for being racist is insane!  Lots of elephants in the room these days! On the other hand it looks like a beautiful day to be out fishing. Or coyote hunting!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wait till Cormorant season opens and a bag limit of 50 and you can let them rot and couple of guys dump a 100 dead cormorants indiscreetly and the press will be all over it like stink on a hog.

 

sorry if I offended any pigs 🤣

Edited by dave524

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...