interested in fly fishing now...

мормышка

Ice fishing is my primary fishing.  I would like to get into fly fishing.

I research on youtube and subscribe to many fine educational channel.

Have to decide which direction to go. Probably more the smaller fish because they are around more.

Big fish usually surprise any way.

I think maybe best to start on 4/5 wt for either floating or sinking (just change up reels?).

a 5wt or 6wt would be your best start. Okuma SLV makes a cheap reel and pretty durable. Plenty of setups you can buy used. Bass are lots of fun on poppers. Reel is least important...all it is to hold the line so no need for expensive reel at this point starting out. Always good to take a fly fishing lesson to start out doing it the right way and so your not wearing a hook. 

Drove past this creek I fly fish sometimes and stopped for a pic. Looks beautiful, water is up a bit which is perfect, too bad it’s closed till 04/25. You can catch chub and rezi trout with the a steelhead run also.  Not much time to catch steelhead though this creek is timed so perfect with the opening n closing dates. 

EAA1BCDE-24A3-428B-9329-30ADD39FF966.jpeg

E1A2952C-AC51-488B-8F1A-6723DA5984E4.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hello friend - I have some recommendations if you're still looking :)

I am relatively new to fly fishing myself, even though i've been trying it on and off for about five years now.

My best rec would be a 6wt. I started with an 8 and found it a bit tough and not as versatile as i'd like. You can essentially fish for anything with a 6, and they typically feel great. I also have a blast with smaller wts but they aren't as versatile. 

Companies like Orvis have great starter sets that come with everything (rod, reel, line) which is nice if you're looking for convenience. I've also had surprising luck with a company called max catch which you can find on amazon. Very affordable, and one of them is my go-to rod. Was shocked. 

Yeah, its really tough to decide. You can end up with 6 different combos for certain situations.

I'd really like to keep it towards small streams/creeks with some current for the smaller fish. Mainly dry flies and

nymphs as required. Fish less than a foot long is fine. 3 - 4 wt with 8'6" is what I'm leaning on at this moment.

This is more for exploring those waters "that may have fish in them". And usually a well placed fly is very subtle and small

to catch them.

• 1 month later...

I have a 5wt that I have hooked 5lb bass on, I can nymph with it, or throw poppers on a floating line. Its a 9ft BC custom rod and does the job just fine for most species. I would not hesitate even using it for steelhead. I have used it at Lyndon trout pond and handles big 8/9 lbers no problem. The biggest problem with flyfishing is too many rods, lines, reels, its just crazy...unless your dedicated to one style of fishing and one species and you want a rod specifically for that, its just as easy to adapt the rod you have...it wont be ideal in every situation but I can honestly say I can fish most species with my 5wt. When I nymph with it...I just put my 3wt reel on it and good to go...

Archived