CDP Busy Busy

smerchly

Visited CDP yesterday to see what's happening ......Wow !  Lots of heavy equipment on the lake front !  Dozers running the full length of the 15 pond berm and removing tons of large cement pieces that are part of the history there . Looks like they are dumping it in front of the stairway on the east corner of the park to build up the shore in anticipation of high water again ....

It was windy ...off shore SW , and a guy trolled passed in a small boat very close to shore . 

I could cast a line from shore over the boat !   

CDP Lake Berm.jpg

CDP Stone Slab Removal.jpg

CDP at Stairway.jpg

4 hours ago, мормышка said:

I wonder how the channel is being reinforced at the cliff end.

Do you mean at the out flow   ?   After zooming in , it looks like there is an outflow at those large blocks ....but I can see a fast outflow eating away the bottom sand from those rocks . Big winds have constantly changed the pattern of the outflow area over the years .

A closer shot of that outflow.......

CDPark out flow.jpg

3 hours ago, мормышка said:

Smelts running yet? 😉

The smelt run should be early this year since there was little ice on Erie ( boom out) and the Welland Ship Canal will open earlier this year , 

... from March 31 ,2012 , some info on the smelt "run"  ......

Outdoors in Niagara

Smelt started to show up early in the bellies of the trout caught on the bar in front of Fort Niagara. Then, all of a sudden, record breaking temperatures this year created warmer waters than usual. And Lake Ontario temperatures have risen above the magic 42-degree water temperature already, which drives the smelt up the Lower Niagara.

Last year, the good smelt run didn't start until around April 15, and remember last year we had lots of ice in the river. So we had to wait until the ice moved out to capture these tasty little critters. Until the temps hit just right, up the river they came.

Archived