Fishing for regulations for people under 18

Luke Dunn

Hi I was looking to go fishing in Niagara and was wondering if a child under 18 can keep a fish they catch. I tried doing some research and couldn’t  find a licence that a child could purchase. And also is it true that people under 18 and over 65 can fish without a licence in Ontario? Thanks

from the online regs. My understanding is it is a regular license. You have the same limits a sportsman.

If you are under 18 years old or 65 and older

You do not need to purchase an Outdoors Card or licence to fish. You will need to carry your government-issued identification with you, that includes your name and date of birth, at all times while fishing. Your identification acts as your licence to fish, if you belong to one of these age ranges.

1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

from the online regs. My understanding is it is a regular license. You have the same limits a sportsman.

You do not need to purchase an Outdoors Card or license to fish. You will need to carry your government-issued identification with you, that includes your name and date of birth, at all times while fishing. Your identification acts as your license to fish, if you belong to one of these age ranges.

I am 77 and I need to show my drivers license or health card ( photos) . I'm not sure if I agree with a sports license for people under 18 as it allows parents with 6 kids to take (e.g.) 36 bass ,etc, every day .

I think the conservation limits would be more in tune with today's modern ways of fishing .

8 hours ago, Chrisb said:

You do not need to purchase an Outdoors Card or licence to fish. You will need to carry your government-issued identification with you, that includes your name and date of birth, at all times while fishing. Your identification acts as your licence to fish, if you belong to one of these age ranges.

To my understanding as well.

CHS

On 3/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, smerchly said:

I am 77 and I need to show my drivers license or health card ( photos) . I'm not sure if I agree with a sports license for people under 18 as it allows parents with 6 kids to take (e.g.) 36 bass ,etc, every day .

I think the conservation limits would be more in tune with today's modern ways of fishing .

You have never seen my kids eat fish have you? I take kids fishing and come home with 100 decent perch and by the time I finish cleaning them the kids have cooked and eaten them all. With that said, I generally bring home enough for a family meal if I can, not much more than that though. I haven't had fish in my freezer for at least 10 years.

Always nice to have fresh fish . In some cases I bring home frozen fish from Quinte to enjoy a meal of "semi -fresh" walleye and perch ....always better eat your own catch for sure .  For the two of us , 5 nice size perch ( 10 fillets) is a meal and one fillet for the dog !  But we can eat up 2 dozen smelts in a New York minute !

100 perch is a lot of cleaning !!  I hope the kids pitch in with the cleaning .....

They can eat 200 fillets  ???    ...how many chickens wings    😁

I prefer never to freeze my fish, unless its unavoidable. It just gets that texture I associate with frozen fish. One grocery store I go to did that with a sockeye salmon filet (dark red, rich flavour) that was presented/packaged as fresh. after, cooking it, it wasn't fresh though it smelled fine. Fresh salmon would flake easily, this didn't.

On 3/14/2020 at 8:05 PM, corey said:

You have never seen my kids eat fish have you? I take kids fishing and come home with 100 decent perch and by the time I finish cleaning them the kids have cooked and eaten them all. With that said, I generally bring home enough for a family meal if I can, not much more than that though. I haven't had fish in my freezer for at least 10 years.

You need to catch bigger perch!!😉

Archived