Fish finders

Captain Hooksets

I like the Helix line but maybe because I am very familiar with them. I run a Helix 7 on my boat and a Helix 5 on my Kayak. Both have GPS and mapping. I fish water that is not always familiar and the ability to find my way back even in the fog is a huge factor. I also like the ability to make my own maps. A smaller body of water I fish I now have mapped out with incredible detail. For ice fishing I use a Lowrance Hook2 4X. 

Steve,

thanks for the response. One of the fish finders I was looking at was the helix line. Bass pro has a great deal on them right now and I still have some gift cards to use. GPS is a must, I fish big water and it’s essential for where I fish. Side imaging is also something I would like. 

Do you have any complaints with the Helix? 

CHS 

I will be going in to my third season of using my Lowrance Elite 7TI. All the features and I especially like it for locating perch schools and walleye on Erie. I got mine at Bass Pro as well and at the time it was on sale for about $300 off including free installation. One of the reasons I like it so much is that for the first time I spent many hours playing with it on the lake and I learned how to read the signals better then with any other finder I have ever owned. It is still capable of much more than I know how to use and I think that might be the problem with a lot of us. As with all electronic equipment, it becomes dated very quickly.

6 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

I don’t have any complaints with the Helix series. There are many good brands out there so you will get many opinions. Like I said the GPS and live mapping feature work incredible. The down and side imaging is an amazing feature. I was able to see a minivan in the lower Niagara river that went over the side during a construction project and was never recovered.

Steve,

thanks for the response. One of the fish finders I was looking at was the helix line. Bass pro has a great deal on them right now and I still have some gift cards to use. GPS is a must, I fish big water and it’s essential for where I fish. Side imaging is also something I would like. 

Do you have any complaints with the Helix? 

CHS 

I think that the best unit for a particular person, depends on the waters you’re fishing. I’m also shopping, for niagara area I think a good di unit is prob best. Humminbird Helix mega di! Not sure if si is very usefull?

I used this for a fish finder yesterday....it worked really well...and easy to adjust according to conditions...structure and depth

20200316_181425.jpg

14 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

I used this for a fish finder yesterday....it worked really well...and easy to adjust according to conditions...structure and depth

Where can I obtain one of those JW  ??  If the price is within my budget I'll buy two !! 

4 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Where can I obtain one of those JW  ??  If the price is within my budget I'll buy two !! 

About 197 bucks....add a decimal point between the 1 and the 9....you dont have to worry about the weather affecting the unit...its good in all weather....very user friendly...you never have to worry about expensive software upgrades...everything is already built in....and its totally portable....no need for any adaptors or extra power supply...you can easily move it from your boat ...to your canoe...works great from shore...and also any hardwater applications ...readily available at most sporting goods stores🎣🎣🎣

You forgot to mention the "extra" hardware required to "stop" those floats  !  They can be costly !   

....................................................................   🎣

11 hours ago, snakeman4 said:

i use gamin's new livescope technology.  can't be beat hands down.  i have the 93sv with the lvs32 transducer.  once you use it, everything else seems like caveman technology  

Garmin units are definitely on my “to consider “ list.  A friend of mine has the same unit as you and he loves it . 

I use a small Lowrance Elite 4 DSI for mapping, and a Lowrance Hook7 as a fish finder.

I find this combo works well as I don’t have to keep switching from mapping mode to fish finder mode like I used to have to do with just one device.

38 minutes ago, genec said:

I use a small Lowrance Elite 4 DSI for mapping, and a Lowrance Hook7 as a fish finder.

I find this combo works well as I don’t have to keep switching from mapping mode to fish finder mode like I used to have to do with just one device.

Can you not split the screen like the Helix or most other brands?

I don't own a boat and we usually rent an old tinner with a 9.9 when we go cottaging.

About 10 years ago we went to a new place on Rice Lake around the middle of

July. When the owner saw what I was going to use to go find walleye he laughed and said good luck with that. It's the middle of the summer, 30 degrees and sunny. What I had was a hydro-graphic map and an old fishing rod with 5' sections of line tide together.

Find the drop offs on the map and then check the depth with the home made depth finder. By the middle of the week I had people with a big fancy boat with all the electronics wanting to pay me to show them how I was coming back with only walleye every time we went out as they could not catch even 1 !! By the end of our week the owner wasn't laughing anymore and told me I was the best fisherman on Rice Lake because of all the eyes we were catching during hot sunny flat water days.

3 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

Can you not split the screen like the Helix or most other brands?

Could, but then only half a screen to see fish, and I had the Elite before I got the Hook7.
bought the Hook7 to replace the original small fish finder that came w the Legend.

with an ipad get navionics app 30.00 gives you all the mapping you need as long as it has gps built in {most do} it uses no data at all .this paired with my lowrancs 9ti is awsome.Lowrance has wifi n bluetooth so the communicate to each other .You can tke your ipad to bow of boat and still control your Lowrance unit.Take ipad in house plot n mark waypoints on your map then back to boat sync via bluetooth and all your homework is on your lowrance also with these units you can sync to each other no more nmea cables everywhere ...its wireless  .Tech has come a long way 

Archived