Fish finders

Captain Hooksets

Yeah it made me feel really old, and dream of the days fishing was simple. you put a minnow on a hook with a sinker below it and tried to catch a perch. No bites after a while you determined there were no fish around you pulled up your anchor and moved to another spot.

1 hour ago, RJR said:

Yeah it made me feel really old, and dream of the days fishing was simple. you put a minnow on a hook with a sinker below it and tried to catch a perch. No bites after a while your determined there were no fish around you pulled up your anchor and moved to another spot.

Days of old you didn't need a fish finder. You went to your normal spot and caught some fish. And you spot near by and not 5 miles out in the lake.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:56 PM, tombo said:

Will do. Btw, this unit is 699 at Erie tracker with Canada lakes map card.

Got out on the water for a short pre fishing test run. Unit seems to be pretty good, but will def have to watch some videos to figure out the best settings. Being a ex-humminbird guy it will take a while to get used to the different way to navigate through the system, but it doesn’t appear to be difficult just different.

I'm with the low tech people here...if I have to rely on all this technology to be able to consistently catch fish...may as well just open a captain highliner box....I like the adventures of figuring it out myself....anyone can push an on button..punch in a couple numbers and catch a fish.....its way more fun exploring....and learning along the way....be it conditional...structural...weather related....seasonal....throwing my patterns over the years on whatever species I target....remember the days when your depth finder was a jug someone tied to the rock you dont want to hit...lol

34 minutes ago, tombo said:

Got out on the water for a short pre fishing test run. Unit seems to be pretty good, but will def have to watch some videos to figure out the best settings. Being a ex-humminbird guy it will take a while to get used to the different way to navigate through the system, but it doesn’t appear to be difficult just different.

Thanks for reporting back. I’d be in the same boat as you coming from humminbird.  Still trying to make a decision but may not happen this year. I’ll likely keep using my old Bird. 

To each their own. I’ll type my numbers in, catch my fish and be home with a cold one In my hand before you’ll have a fish on the bank.  I can’t get out nearly as much anymore with a young family so I like to get right to the point when I can actually get out.  I do still love adventure though. 

• 9 months later...

I have the Helix 7 DI and love it very user friendly. Only thing I find the down imaging is a gimmick, I have it turned off on my views.

Only screens I use is split screen GPS and Finder, Zoom Split, whole GPS, Whole Depth.

I think Dave ( rbrwrm ) will agree.

Only thing I wish I had bought was the Helix 9 because it has 2 card slots.

14 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Finally bit the bullet. Had some bass pro gift cards still so I ordered a Garmin Echomap UHD 75SV On sale basically for half price at cabelas. Regular 1299 on sale for 699. Looking forward to newer technology. Just have to order the livescope now 😎

I saw that on line. That sounds like a great deal. Was tempted but my finder is only a few years old.

My fish finder is probably the same age as me. I don’t rely on it too much as it’s depth marking is a range and not accurate but is definitely good for warning kids to hold the rods up when we’re slow trolling over a shallow area so we don’t lose to many warm harnesses. 

5 hours ago, Morwood80 said:

My fish finder is probably the same age as me. I don’t rely on it too much as it’s depth marking is a range and not accurate but is definitely good for warning kids to hold the rods up when we’re slow trolling over a shallow area so we don’t lose to many warm harnesses. 

My old Lowrance X25 came with my 1990 boat I bought in 2003 , don't know when it was installed on the boat , but it still works good enough to show the depth which is all I need to help save the prop in shallow waters . It might be over 30 years old !!  Made in the DSA   (divided states of ameerica)   :Gonefishing:  

48 minutes ago, deetch said:

Who remembers the old lowrance paper graphs?  I will tell you those marked beautifully and once the paper roll was done you could unravel it and show your buddies what you marked.  

A buddies father had one of those. I bought his boat in the mid eighties when I was in high school, I didn't want to buy the graph as it looked to complicated and wasn't cheap at the time.  I remember him showing the scrolls with fish marks etc. which was incredibly cool at the time. I bought a small LCD unit instead that probably had 50 pixels in the whole screen, looked like an electronic quarterback game (loved that game), but showed the depth and a rough representation of bottom structure which to me was great at the time.

Started back in the day with a Sitex paper graph. Had it really dialed in for riggin.  Since then, had a few Hummin Birds and Lowrance units. Had better endurance & performance with Lowrance. Currently run 2  Lowrance Elite Ti2's with the 3 in 1  Active Imaging transducer on the stern and a hdmi on the bow. I think it is the best bang for your buck right now. It includes D2,Di,Si & Chartplotter with 3d capability, Chirp, Active Imaging, Fish Reveal, Live scan/recording, WiFi, Blue tooth, etc. Of course if ya have an unlimited budget there are more luxurious options

I still have my original Lowrance green box Fish Lo-K-Tor. It's a portable flasher that runs on 2 6 volt batteries, a friend and I bought it together in 1970 for about $150. I tried it a little while ago and it still works. On my first big boat I had a Sitex paper graph then I upgraded to a top model Lowrance paper graph. They were ideal for the salmon fishing on Lake O. I still remember the odour they gave off when operating as the stylus etched on the paper and all the black dust that used to accumulate on the screen. Now I use an Elite 7Ti and am very pleased with it.

• 1 month later...

Still have one of the Lowrance paper graph finders on a shelf in my garage, along with half a dozen rolls of paper. If I remember correctly, it's an X-15 or X-15A. It worked great while I was using it way back then, but the paper became expensive, and it was retired, when I bought my first digital finder which was an Eagle something or other. Using a Garmin SV95 plus that I've had for a couple seasons, and so far, very happy with it.

I had the Lowrance paper graph for a long time, and loved it.

I still have the Lowrance Eagle portable that runs on 8 C cells, and use it in the aluminum boat, my kayak, and ice fishing.

In my old Legend I had replaced the original Hummingbird fishfinder with a Lowrance Elite for mapping, and added a Hook for the fish plotting.  Hated to lose those 2 when I had to sell the boat!

53 minutes ago, genec said:

Lowrance Eagle portable that runs on 8 C cells,

I have one like that , I got it in a package deal with my 8" Fin bore auger , about 6-7 years ago , still sitting on a shelf in the box ....never used it yet ......

My 1990 boat I bought about 20 years ago came with a Lowrance X125 .....It doesn't seem to show fish , only depths and  bumps on bottom ....good enough for  warnings of shallow water and rocks . ( only use the boat at Quinte) 

Presently I have a Lowrance HDS 7 and it is a very nice unit paired with Navionics+ it is a very powerful unit.  Before this I had a Hummingbird Helix 5 Si GPS paired with a Lake Master Chip and that was a very nice unit as well.

Helix seemed to have a easier to learn interface but I do like the graphics on the HDS7 

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Darryl L said:

If anyone is interested, I am installing my new Lowrance hook 2-9 tomorrow so I will be selling my old Elite 5 HDI.  I'll attach a pic . 

20210311_200527.jpg

Nice to see people getting ready for open water. 

Archived