Where is lake whitefish?

Fresh Fish

Erie was once a whitefish fishery and like the blue "pickerel" , they have disappeared ,although a 2012 survey said Erie is still considered a viable lake to restock whitefish . The only "whitefish" I have heard of coming from Erie is the white"perch" which are prolific in Lake Ontario (Quinte) as well . There are also burbot (ling) in Erie and Ontario ....  Some info on Google.

Interesting stuff Smerch.  It's fascinating how some lakes become know for particular species, while those same species are available in other lakes where you didn't even know they existed.   

Whitefish from Simcoe are tasty.

1 minute ago, Mike Pike said:

And there you go.  Not only didn't I know about Whities in Erie, but there's a commercial fishery for them.  Thanks Dave.

Yes I talked to a commercial guy that parked his boat at Maitland, walked over to ask where he was fishing Walleye and he said he was netting White fish right now. was shock to see his tote full of them.

There is definitely a population of whitefish in Erie, just nothing in comparison to the perch and walleye quotas.  Also, if you read up on some of the whitefish studies done on Lake Erie, the whitefish pretty much exclusively feed on tiny crustaceans and zooplankton.  Targeting them would be difficult given the location out deep, and their diet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 8:34 AM, smerchly said:

The only "whitefish" I have heard of coming from Erie is the white"perch" which are prolific in Lake Ontario (Quinte) as well.

Does anybody fish specifically for white perch in Erie? Why is it not as popular as yellow perch?

1 hour ago, Fish Farmer said:

White Perch are not a good tasting fish.

They're not bad to eat if the lateral line fatty material is removed  . I have a few fillets in the freezer (skin on) and will soon be in the pan .  We had some perch last night , cooked and served by my neighbour .  Years ago , they were caught in nets in Lake Ontario , and I was told they would be used for cat food ???  :read:  ,,,but I think they ended up on "people's" plates ...

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

I don't mind a feed or two of white perch. Just have to be prepared properly.

How about silver bass ??  I can't remember the last time I ate them . They are larger , have softer meat and are easier to catch . ..can have a lot of fun catching them on light gear .

FF ....do you remember Tommy Lowe ? .. had his fishing boat parked at Port Weller ....first time I got sea sick on a trip to retrieve his nets on Lake O .  (N.E.rollers)   🤮

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

How about silver bass ??  I can't remember the last time I ate them . They are larger , have softer meat and are easier to catch . ..can have a lot of fun catching them on light gear .

FF ....do you remember Tommy Lowe ? .. had his fishing boat parked at Port Weller ....first time I got sea sick on a trip to retrieve his nets on Lake O .  (N.E.rollers)   🤮

I don't mind a feed or two of white perch. Just have to be prepared properly.

Tommy was before my involvement in the area. Have always enjoyed making the trip to Windsor when the silvers are running. Catch a hundred or so and maybe keep 2 dozen. There was a decent run of silvers in Port D back in the 80's early 90's, but have disappeared.

Archived