suggestions

Ryan

Hey all, 

Coming up on an unexpected afternoon off soon, and hoping to take advantage of this weather. 

Today I fished for a very brief period of time as I was driving by this spot. Not one bite..not sure how much could even be in there. Some areas shallow, some areas looked a bit deeper but I was only casting from shore. 

It was a small trib coming off the Welland river, right near chippawa creek road. Just wondering, next time I go I am going to throw on some waders and go in the direction of the River. Any suggestions on some lures or bait to use for shallow river fishing? Or if I should just forgo that trib and head right to the river? Any suggestion very much appreciated! Screenshot of what I am talking about, below

image.png

With the right baits and presentation......should be able to catch a variety of pan fish in there...cats...carp will start to show...pike (check the regs if there is a closed season there)...slow presentation.....match the hatch...the smaller water will warm and earlier plant growth helps bring in baitfish early and draw the predators .....if accessible the creek mouth could also be a good staging point...seek out ambush points...any pools...curves..current breaks...obvious colour changes in the water...look for other signs like water fowl ect...if they are around chances are there is a food source for them 

19 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Thanks! Are you referring to fishing within that small trib, or the welland river itself?

Both....often fish will stage at creek mouths as well in the spring..waiting for temps to trigger spawning..or a bait fish run...does the water come in...or go out from the river..?..either way there is a temperature difference in those areas and that in itself is "structure"...look for spots you think fish will wait for food to come to them according to current changes..or structure that can be an ambush point

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

Both....often fish will stage at creek mouths as well in the spring..waiting for temps to trigger spawning..or a bait fish run...does the water come in...or go out from the river..?..either way there is a temperature difference in those areas and that in itself is "structure"...look for spots you think fish will wait for food to come to them according to current changes..or structure that can be an ambush point

thank you! I really appreciate all this information.

32 minutes ago, мормышка said:

What are you fishing for?

Mostly Catfish, crappies, thinking that is all that I might find in there? Again I have never fished that area before so if I am completely wrong, please feel free to let me know!

There's pike in there...walleye in areas...you just have to be aware of the zone regs for open and closed seasons...pan fish and coarse fish like cats are open year round

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Mostly Catfish, crappies, thinking that is all that I might find in there? Again I have never fished that area before so if I am completely wrong, please feel free to let me know!

Both are different fish which require different tactics and approaches. Fishing bait just above bottom either from a float or on a 3-way rig is best way for cold water fishing. You'll know its in a good spot if you catch fish within 15 minutes. If not, cast another spot. Catfish cruise, crappie you have to find.

4 minutes ago, мормышка said:

Both are different fish which require different tactics and approaches. Fishing bait just above bottom either from a float or on a 3-way rig is best way for cold water fishing. You'll know its in a good spot if you catch fish within 15 minutes. If not, cast another spot. Catfish cruise, crappie you have to find.

Awesome thanks for the info I appreciate it

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, marktheperchman said:

Just dont eat anything caught. That creek comes from the Cyanamid properties. 

for sure-thank you! Have you ever fished that creek before? Any luck?

Archived