Spring carping

Tyler0420

On 3/23/2020 at 3:46 PM, Tyler0420 said:

I don’t think the needles are from the fisherman. That’s what happens when junkies throw their needles down the Sewers. There was also a homeless camp up the canal that probably didn’t help either. (Now it’s gone).  I don’t touch the needles, I use a scoop and place them in a coffee cup. We have needle drop boxes around the city that I’ll dispose of them there. 

When I worked for fifty point we use to find needles all the time cleaning up the beach.  Not sure if its right but my boss told us to put them in a pop can and throw em in the garbage.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jeremy778 said:

When I worked for fifty point we use to find needles all the time cleaning up the beach.  Not sure if its right but my boss told us to put them in a pop can and throw em in the garbage.

That would create a danger for the trash bin employees .  The needles are a danger to our kids , call the city for advice . We need more controls selling needles to the addicts ......

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

That would create a danger for the trash bin employees .  The needles are a danger to our kids , call the city for advice . We need more controls selling needles to the addicts ......

The proper disposal method is to get a proper sharps bin and to put them in there until it is full, but a junkie does not care to use them regardless.  If you need to handle them, ensure they go into a container the needle can't puncture, wear gloves, and then the container should be turned over to somewhere that can handle the medical waste.

I have found needles while fishing in almost every spot, some areas it would really surprise you since "why the hell would a junkie go so far off the beaten path from where they could buy any more product".

Nice day to feed the carp some left overs .....some frozen cream corn , oats and a touch of maize .... rolled into "meat balls "  for chum . I tossed a few balls into the shallow water about 50' , by hand , then loaded up the # 4 barbed hook with G.G.can corn which were smaller than usual but good to go .

Off to a slow start with a couple of mud cats .  I used the alarm today to help as my eyes wondered looking at the water fowl around me . Finally , after 30 minutes the line peeled out & i landed the first carp , about 7 lbs .....10 minutes later another hard hit to the sound of music , & a 10 lb approx. was netted . Then the cats came in to feed ....lots of good size bull heads well over a pound with some attitude as I was using my old 8' custom salmon rod with a light tip . It can handle a big carp with the old 4000 Stradic reel .

Then ...some small carp moved in ....caught 4 of them from 2 lbs to a whopping 15 ounces !  ...some a silvery colour !

All in all it was just another carp in the haul ......   nice to be out there ....solo  .....some sunshine but a nippy wind .

Here's a few shots to keep you hyped ! 

B.carp 06-05-2020.jpg

small carp.JPG

bullhead.jpg

Good to see some action...this unusually cold spring has things a couple weeks behind from what I been seeing around..wierd looking fatty in the second pic

Thanks guys ......those wierdo fat carp were tricky to catch . They would "nip" at the corn , sometimes picking up the line a tad , then dropping it , stripping off the corn many times .  I was catching most of the bites for the first hour, then missing bites ....until I found my hook was burred !  There must be a few rocks in there ....need to keep those hooks honed !  Next trip , I'll try tricking them with the hair rig and smaller sharper hook .

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice pics smerch. Too bad the catts weren’t a bit bigger. 

Those cats don't get much larger Tyler ....but there are some channel cats in there , I've caught a few very small ones . There should be some larger ones around  ...... maybe a night fish ,  if you have a few spare chicken livers ......B) 

....this one eyed cat is about the largest I've caught there .....got it yesterday as well.....

....A COLD week ahead , water temps will drop , might put the kibosh on the bite for a week !!   :coldsmiley:

one eyed cat.jpg

Hey Smerch, I think the fish in your 2nd pic may be  either a feral goldfish or a carp/goldfish 'hybrid.'  If it has any evidence of barbels, my understanding is that it's most likely a hybrid( as goldfish don't have any barbels at all ).  They can be hard to tell apart, thought.

2 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Hey Smerch, I think the fish in your 2nd pic may be  either a feral goldfish or a carp/goldfish 'hybrid.'  If it has any evidence of barbels, my understanding is that it's most likely a hybrid( as goldfish don't have any barbels at all ).  They can be hard to tell apart, though.

Mike ....when I caught the first one , first thing that came to mind was a gold fish !  I should have mentioned that .... All 4 of them I caught (maybe a school ) were short bodied and plump .  It might be that someone has released their "pet" goldfish and they survived the cold winter temperatures . I don't know how large they could get to be , or if  they are considered "invasive" , but they have access to both lakes from there . There's also some rudd in there which look like "skinny" carp !   :Gonefishing:

I read a little while ago, here in Hammy Harbour, the goldfish are able to winter-over due to our milder winters.  And if I read the article correctly, the goldfish are now starting to exploit Cootes Paradise because they're small enough to get through the carp barrier.  The carp themselves can't get through so the goldfish have no competition for the resources.

Here's a feral goldfish( hybrid? )I caught a few years ago in the Desjardains Canal in Dundas.  Looks alot like yours, Smerch.  The canal had a warm water inflow so it never froze over in the winter.  We used to catch carp, goldfish and hybrids there.  There is a butterfly garden there and with recent trail upgrades by the Conservation Authority( ? ), I don't believe you can fish there now.  That's ok though, because I found out the warm water came from the Dundas water treatment plant so I wasn't a big fan of hanging out there after that.  

post-6619-0-74529600-1366056960_thumb.jp

There was a ton of those in the grand years back when I electro fished with the mnr...never did put a name to them though come to think of it

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

There was a ton of those in the grand years back when I electro fished with the mnr...never did put a name to them though come to think of it

Maybe a cold winter kills them off Jack . Many goldfish -coy get released every year due to unforeseen circumstances . While fishing Rennie Park some years ago , a large coi about 8 lbs or so cruised passed me . I dangled a worm in front of it's nose , but it ignored my offering . ....never to be seen again .   .....not a clear shot in the murky water ......

coi.jpg

Smercho on the loose today for a few + hours .  Bite was slow , using both can corn and maize , hair rig and corn on a hook . First fish came in about 1.5 hrs ....a good solid hit & run with the bells ringing . She came in at a solid 14 lbs. ...nice and plump and clean carp .  I changed rigs a few times but only used can corn and maize . Then the cats moved in and "other" fish that kept stripping the can corn of the hair ....turned out to be those small fat gold fish/carp thingies that nibble the corn off in seconds ....got one about 2 lbs .....tough little fish !  

Couple of shots ....best carp so far .....and a "school" of corms looking for their lunch.....

All in all , a fine day to get away .....   :Gonefishing:

14 lb.carp.jpg

cormorants.jpg

I've been a little slow getting started lately Bubba ....I  parked at the water , fished from the back of the van ...didn't get the corn wet until 10:30  . One guy stopped to see me land the first carp ...then told me he was headed up to Quinte to fish Mohawk Bay  for the weekend where we have our trailer . ...small world !  Talked to another guy ...a chef at a local golf club who fished the Whirl pool this morning ....another guy came down with the carp tripod  complete with Tilly  hat (like mine) , still there when I left ....all were nice guys to chat with .....right up my alley !  

On 5/14/2020 at 10:24 PM, knightfisher said:

Guy in the white van seems to be there a lot.

Old retiree with too much time on his hands .....   👴

• 2 weeks later...

Archived