Deer Food Plot Planting

genec

Anybody on here plant food plots for deer in Niagara?

Thinking of setting a small patch of one up on the farm I hunt, and looking for suggestions on what seed types/brands work best in Niagara.

also, where to buy...BPS shows nothing in stock in NOTL, and Cabela’s lists 6 different food group types...confusing!

Hey there genec im hopping to put one in this spring but it seems that now the cops are charging people for just going for a drive i'm still trying to find out if we can still get out turkey hunting no info any were if i can get out to do a plot i will be planting white clover and if i do it right it will last a long time as it regrows every year and and the deer love it so i hope that will be the plan 

I have had good success with Imperial Whitetail clover when I had a foodplot (lost that property). If you spray it for weeds  and cut it you can get 5 or more years. You can buy on their website and buy their soil kit. You send in a soil sample and  the square footage of your plot and they will tell you how much lime and fertilizer to put on the plot. It will make a huge difference. I had to put 1200lbs lime on a little plot less than an acre but it grew nice. If you want an annual they have a lot of brassicas and other seed but the deer didn't seem to like them as much when I tried it. Oats worked okay and was cheap because I got the seed from a farmer friend.

https://whitetailinstitute.com/imperial-whitetail-clover-perennial/

Had no replies right away, so ordered Cabela’s clover mix to plant after reading as much as I could find on planting plots.

clover seems the best option for me - my spot is a small area on river flood plain at base of ridge along river, which is a deer route on the family  farm I hunt.

2 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Hey there genec im hopping to put one in this spring but it seems that now the cops are charging people for just going for a drive i'm still trying to find out if we can still get out turkey hunting no info any were if i can get out to do a plot i will be planting white clover and if i do it right it will last a long time as it regrows every year and and the deer love it so i hope that will be the plan 

Gunner, I can’t see how they could object to hunting, as we are definitely “social distancing” from everyone when after turkeys!!

2 hours ago, genec said:

Gunner, I can’t see how they could object to hunting, as we are definitely “social distancing” from everyone when after turkeys!!

I called the M.N.R. and they told me pretty much what i already knew about Gov land closed pretty much hunt private land and hunt by your self or do your 6 feet apart but also told me to call the township i would be hunting in to make sure they don't have any restrictions put in place made the call same thing but the only thing is the OPP are charging people that are going out for no real good reason i don't know if hunting fall under that or not time will tell

clover seems to be the way to go plant it put a cam on it and see how it pans out it should work good thats what i will be doing good luck let us know how it works for you i will post my results as well

Archived