An Interesting Day

Snags

Decided to head out for a drive and check out a few smaller creeks within the Niagara Region.  The end result was an entertaining hour or so watching some suckers, a few trout, and this guy.

7MzLRvJ.jpg

I have no clue how he got that far inland but he was focused intently on the suckers upstream.  I would estimate him in the 24" to 30" range.

Also some lures arrived from China that I ordered ... pleased with how they look, might have to fill the bathtub up to see how they work.

bQX0uqH.jpg

47 minutes ago, genec said:

Neat photo Snags...also interesting lure...what brand is it?

The packaging has no writing on it, so not really branded.

I think that pike will find all the food it wants there !  I saw some small fish  about 6" that looked like shad , a real nice snack for some fish ! 

I think China is on the world $hit list ....but we would have empty store shelves without them !   :unsure:

The packaging could say "Made in Canada" ....yes , the package was made here ...... :rolleyes:

I have some new lures similar to that one ....still in the package .

9 minutes ago, toaster said:

They essentially steal the intellectual property of companies that manufacture over there.  Copy the designs of products and sell it back cheaper $.

You also get what you pay for.  The hooks are sharp, but I will be replacing them with something a little bigger and something I have a little more faith in.  A big business model is actually importing tons of things from China and reselling them on Amazon.  And for a small amount they might even print what you want on the box.  I found a few of these on Amazon priced around the $15 to $20 marker ... I paid under $5 from China ... just shipping can take a while, in this instance they shipped it February 14th and it got to my place April 3rd.  Some items have arrived within 15 days, others 120 days.

I notice lots of Russian fishing lures that used to be cheap are a lot more expensive now. Demand may be high. That is not including the high ebay shipping. A typical $4 lure would has $22 shipping. 🤢 Maybe that is where seller makes money? I never sell on ebay only buy.

But we do get a lot of "freebees" from China , like the invasive bugs that costs us billions .....

All the heavy trucking costs us billions in road repair and earlier bridge decay .....

Our minimum wage could pay 6-7 of their workers ....

Our goods cost more but may last 10 times longer .....hence we have huge garbage dumps . 

China has a ruthless communist government (that our leader idolizes) and their leaders are very smart !

I wish I could avoid buying  anything made there , but it's impossible now .

Our economy will take many years to recover from this Chinese pandemic.... until they come to our rescue with wads of money to buy up (invest) our deserted plants , restaurants and farms .

4 hours ago, Snags said:

Aliexpress ... same thing at the end of the day though

Love Aliexpress. some great deals to be had.

Will always use them when needed.

A small Erie creek I fish regularly for steelhead, bass and such has seen pike take hold out of nowhere. Started fishing this creek maybe ten years ago. Caught all kinds of trout, bass, course fish etc. Never seen a pike or heard of one being caught. 3-4 years back I can remember catching a small hammer handle pike one day and wondering what it would be doing so far up river in a small creek. Not long after I was getting them consistently and each year I'm seeing more and more and bigger ones, to the point now I would say they're the dominant species. I can remember chubs always annoying me while trouting in this creek as they'd be very dense in spots, now I havent seen one in a few years which is why the pike first establiished here in my opinion. Amazing how quickly an ecosytem can change.

17 hours ago, мормышка said:

I notice lots of Russian fishing lures that used to be cheap are a lot more expensive now. Demand may be high. That is not including the high ebay shipping. A typical $4 lure would has $22 shipping. 🤢 Maybe that is where seller makes money? I never sell on ebay only buy.

You might want to look into Aliexpress, Wish, and DHGate ... they all have plenty of free shipping options.

On 4/4/2020 at 6:17 AM, мормышка said:

Nature under own power always adapts and over comes. Look at Chernobyl now. Flourishing.

Depends on your definition of flourishing. It was in the news the other day about a forest fire on the edge of Chernobyl  releasing radioactive smoke from the radioactive trees and plants burning. This is more than 30 years after the disaster.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:14 AM, steellee said:

A small Erie creek I fish regularly for steelhead, bass and such has seen pike take hold out of nowhere. Started fishing this creek maybe ten years ago. Caught all kinds of trout, bass, course fish etc. Never seen a pike or heard of one being caught. 3-4 years back I can remember catching a small hammer handle pike one day and wondering what it would be doing so far up river in a small creek. Not long after I was getting them consistently and each year I'm seeing more and more and bigger ones, to the point now I would say they're the dominant species. I can remember chubs always annoying me while trouting in this creek as they'd be very dense in spots, now I havent seen one in a few years which is why the pike first establiished here in my opinion. Amazing how quickly an ecosytem can change.

When I was a teen (mid 50's) there was a beautiful stream close to the east side of the Glendale G.M. plant . It snaked from it's source at "Lake Louise" , under Glendale Ave and emptied into a weir which fed the locks . It was stocked with browns and we had a ball catching them,  at a 6' water fall , in the shallow rapids , and under/between some old timbers from the old canal structures . Others would find quiet spots and toss spoons for pike . Then G.M. expanded the plant to the east and our much of our "trout stream" is now know as Haulage Rd.  .....Now you know ....the rest of the story ....     :(

Archived