Yesterday opener

Jwl1

Had the pleasure of getting out for the day yesterday to try a hand at some brookies for something a bit different on trout opener in the area we headed out to....we have all the big steelies you can catch all winter long here in Niagara so its always fun to have the opportunity to try something that is not available around our area.....before heading out I first made sure that the area we set out to explore was infact open to fishing...there are alot of restrictions all over the place which did put a bit of a limit on where to try, and makes the season alot different for many this year with so many options shut down....but fortunately our intended destination did not cross any of these boundaries.....we arrived at our starting point happy to find that we where the only ones waiting for the sun to come up.....a bit chilly...frost covered ground..a bit of skim ice on the slack water...and even a bit of snow left on the ground in the shaded woods areas........after the sun came out it was a beautiful day to hike and explore the water way...as you can all see in the pics.....it is a pretty scenic hike....but a pretty rough go in some areas...walking over rocky areas...through the water in some places which was way colder than it should be this time of year...I did mention ice in some spots still...lol...other areas are travelling over rough patches of matted down grass where you never know if your next step is going to be up to your thigh with a nice soaker from a sink hole or cold water spring in the undergrowth...lol...its quite the workout...and am feeling it a bit today with some sore muscles and tired from heading out right after work and being up for over 24 hours..lol...but well worth the effort to spend the day in nature's wonderland....the fishing was a bit tougher than usual....the river system is ever changing and this season's opener we came to find the water was way colder than usual for this time of year...was on the low side so it was harder finding the flow areas and pools.....and for the most part gin crystal clear...making the fishing a bit "behind schedule" for this time of year..it is however nice to be blessed with the chance to head out to such a scenic area....explore a place all to ourselves...and try our skills at something we cant do everyday at home.....as you can see in the pics....no crowds...no traffic....no litter....just mother nature at its finest...

20200425_055217.jpg

20200425_061235.jpg

20200425_081115.jpg

20200425_084928.jpg

20200425_104808.jpg

20200425_144349.jpg

Also have to add a special thanks to Cliff for sharing in a great day...and the new Great Lakes Custom ultralight rod that he made me for the day....anyone who has ever used one of his rods can attest that they are great balanced rods made with all high quality components and custom cork and thread works in all sorts of colors🎣

Beauty looking area! I remember as a kid, living north of Huntsville. Every spring we would take a run east of Hwy 11 towards "The Park" and fish creeks and beaver ponds at the side of the road. Always caught a few specs for a feed. Great memories!!

It's fun exploring..downsizing the gear and getting out for something different...its a great way to hone the skills...learn how to read the water...structure.. habitat...and apply some different fishing tactics along the way....and some fresh air and exercise is good for the soul

You are a trooper Jack ! I need your skills to hunt down the carp right here at home . Many talk about  tasty the perch , walleye and crappies , but I have to say those spekkies are top notch !  They call it "God's country" up there for a reason ......   🏞️

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

You are a trooper Jack ! I need your skills to hunt down the carp right here at home . Many talk about  tasty the perch , walleye and crappies , but I have to say those spekkies are top notch !  They call it "God's country" up there for a reason ......   🏞️

For sure bill.. we will have to figure out a time to meet up soon... and it was definitely nice to get away from the world for the day...although the colder weather has put the season a bit behind this year in my opinion...traces of snow in some wooded areas...skim ice in some still water....couple weeks of nicer weather should put things back on track all around...but you dont know unless you try...the adventure is half the fun

Archived