Spring Steelhead Fishing | How to Use Lures in Small Rivers and Creeks (Video)

pop-vlado

2 hours ago, steellee said:

Cool vid. Gotta add some small kwikfish/flatfish to that box! Thats my small creek go to fished on a 3way. 

Neat. In general, I find that a lot of cranks works but I've never fished the kwikfish. I'm not sure why. Which ones do you use? 

Kwikfish/Flatfish have been a super bait for many years. Either swung across the current or just standing above a hole and slowly dropping it back. Start at the head of the pool and raise your rod tip while pulling out 2' at a time. Let it wiggle for 10 seconds and repeat till your bait gets to the back of the pool. Hold on! When they hit it can be alarming!

Colors are for the fisherman, IMO. These are aggravation lures which attempt to push the fish out of its holding spot. Thats why the strikes are so violent.

Also very good fished on three way swivels with weight on the dropper line from a boat.

2 hours ago, floatman said:

Kwikfish/Flatfish have been a super bait for many years. Either swung across the current or just standing above a hole and slowly dropping it back. Start at the head of the pool and raise your rod tip while pulling out 2' at a time. Let it wiggle for 10 seconds and repeat till your bait gets to the back of the pool. Hold on! When they hit it can be alarming!

Colors are for the fisherman, IMO. These are aggravation lures which attempt to push the fish out of its holding spot. Thats why the strikes are so violent.

Also very good fished on three way swivels with weight on the dropper line from a boat.

I will add them to the arsenal. Thanks!

We fish kwikies alot on the Niagara river....you just need to take a bit of time to adjust to certain factors...current speed...and also adjusting weight according to that..as well as lure size for your lure to run with the proper wobble...often on the bigger sized lures I will take the body hook off as well and just leave the tail hook, it helps alot with fouling up when drifting on a 3way....its fun downsizing everything for trib fishing...used to do that alot for brookies up north.....another trick that works well when the water warms up we would use a small Williams and run a line with a worm off the back and drift it like a tiny version of a Dodger and fly set up...this seemed to work well where there was a competition for food in areas where horn heads and brookies where mixed together

Some may remember the similar Heddon Tad Polly which also ran like the Kwickfish . I still have a green/white one which also attracted pike . I have caught trout on Kwickfish in the deeper water at Port Dal harbour using a 3 way rig with about 1/2  oz.weight to keep it running near bottom ...need a slow retrieve in that current and I use a snap-swivel for the weight for quick changes . Another old lure that has that side to side action is the heavier Canadian Wiggler ....always good to attract pike .

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/619818284/vintage-heddon-tadpolly-spook-fishing

20 hours ago, pop-vlado said:

Neat. In general, I find that a lot of cranks works but I've never fished the kwikfish. I'm not sure why. Which ones do you use? 

For small erie creeks I usually fish I run anywhere from a size k4-k7 on kwikfish of f4-f6 on flatfish. Niagara a k8-k9 or bigger for salmon. Like mentioned above keep them slow as possible. Start at the top of the pool and cast across letting the bait sweep back in, do this a few times and take a few steps down. Repeat until you've worked the pool.  I run them off a 3 way, with just enough weight on dropper to cast it well. Your leader length depends on size of lure. Ideally you bang rocks with your bait just occasionaly rather than dig into bottom. If the water in a pool is too fast I'll swap out to a 2" jplug or a hotshot which run truer in fast water. Favouite colors of mine are gold, silver/pink, silver/blue, but I probably have 150+ in my box and all colors work matched up with right conditions. Even have some beat up ones I customize with sharpies that still catch constantly. Its almost all I do anymore and I have a rack of expensive centerpins and other rods just collecting dust. Nothing beats the take of a kwikie...

20191105_081610.jpg

Nice steel steelee !   Catching those frisky suckers are fun , even for this fisherman !  We used to get them here at the 12 Mile Creek this time of the year . Using light gear makes it even more fun ...I'm sure your lad is well hooked into using the center pin ! 

Archived