Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
gunner-2

WARNING TO SHOTGUN OWNERS

Recommended Posts

Read the latest post on the OFAH website ... 10 and 12 gauge shotguns are NOT part of the ban!

Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Bill Blair, clarified that 10- and 12-gauge shotguns (even those with a removable choke) are not captured in the new bore diameter prohibitions. Although this has been confirmed by the Canadian Firearms Program of the RCMP (see bore measurement question below), there remain questions and concerns on how some specific models, older firearms, bore thinning, back boring and other considerations could affect the classification of some 10 gauge and 12 gauge shotguns.

 

"The Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) of the RCMP adheres to the Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners' (AFTE) definition for bore diameter measurements. "The interior dimensions of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." (Glossary of the Association of Firearm & Tool Mark Examiners by the AFTE Standardization Committee, 1st Ed. 1980). This is reflected in the RCMP's Firearms Reference Table (FRT) which clearly states that "...in shotguns, diameter of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." The CFP also recognizes the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) standards regarding firearms and ammunition. The SAAMI chamber specifications for 10ga and 12ga shotguns do not include chokes therefore indicating that chokes are not part of the bore. Accordingly, it is the CFP's view that, in accordance with acceptable firearms industry standards for shotguns, the bore diameter measurement is considered to be at a point after the chamber, but before the choke.

Further, in making classification assessments of firearms which are reflected in the FRT, the CFP relies on recognized industry standard measurements. With respect to 10ga and 12ga shotguns, the CFP recognizes the SAAMI standard specifications which establish that the nominal (i.e. standard) bore diameter measurements for 10ga and 12ga shotguns are below the 20mm threshold (19.69mm for 10ga, 18.42mm for 12ga)."

Edited by genec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, genec said:

Read the latest post on the OFAH website ... 10 and 12 gauge shotguns are NOT part of the ban!

Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Bill Blair, clarified that 10- and 12-gauge shotguns (even those with a removable choke) are not captured in the new bore diameter prohibitions. Although this has been confirmed by the Canadian Firearms Program of the RCMP (see bore measurement question below), there remain questions and concerns on how some specific models, older firearms, bore thinning, back boring and other considerations could affect the classification of some 10 gauge and 12 gauge shotguns.

 

"The Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) of the RCMP adheres to the Association of Firearm and Tool Mark Examiners' (AFTE) definition for bore diameter measurements. "The interior dimensions of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." (Glossary of the Association of Firearm & Tool Mark Examiners by the AFTE Standardization Committee, 1st Ed. 1980). This is reflected in the RCMP's Firearms Reference Table (FRT) which clearly states that "...in shotguns, diameter of the barrel forward of the chamber but before the choke." The CFP also recognizes the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) standards regarding firearms and ammunition. The SAAMI chamber specifications for 10ga and 12ga shotguns do not include chokes therefore indicating that chokes are not part of the bore. Accordingly, it is the CFP's view that, in accordance with acceptable firearms industry standards for shotguns, the bore diameter measurement is considered to be at a point after the chamber, but before the choke.

Further, in making classification assessments of firearms which are reflected in the FRT, the CFP relies on recognized industry standard measurements. With respect to 10ga and 12ga shotguns, the CFP recognizes the SAAMI standard specifications which establish that the nominal (i.e. standard) bore diameter measurements for 10ga and 12ga shotguns are below the 20mm threshold (19.69mm for 10ga, 18.42mm for 12ga)."

 

Ah ok genec thanks for clearing this up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the problem is that the federal government has eroded what little trust people have in government. How many times have politicians looked us in the eye and lied through their teeth, totally unashamedly, our current prime minister has mastered it! 

The written rules do raise valid concerns, and when the response is "trust us this wasn't the intent", no wonder people don't take that at face value.

There has been so much misinformation put out by the government to the general public on "assault weapons" and current gun control legislation in justifying the new ban.

I've seen too many times in legislation and with corporations, and individuals where they put one thing in writing then say "trust us" only to bite you in the ass at their convenience at a later date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

Part of the problem is that the federal government has eroded what little trust people have in government. How many times have politicians looked us in the eye and lied through their teeth, totally unashamedly, our current prime minister has mastered it! 

The written rules do raise valid concerns, and when the response is "trust us this wasn't the intent", no wonder people don't take that at face value.

There has been so much misinformation put out by the government to the general public on "assault weapons" and current gun control legislation in justifying the new ban.

I've seen too many times in legislation and with corporations, and individuals where they put one thing in writing then say "trust us" only to bite you in the ass at their convenience at a later date.

 

So true Surf and Turf so true a person doesn't know from one day to the next what he is going to pull on us and that should scare the HE#!! out of us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. T. knows how to play the cards well , with the backing of his climate , greens , and "phobic" crew . He saw an opportunity to USE the Nova Scotia shootings to enhance his anti gun/hunter ban .  He just reached another new low , taking more of our rights away , and without parliament debate .  He is a danger to our democratic rights and needs to be shown the door ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Mr. T. knows how to play the cards well , with the backing of his climate , greens , and "phobic" crew . He saw an opportunity to USE the Nova Scotia shootings to enhance his anti gun/hunter ban .  He just reached another new low , taking more of our rights away , and without parliament debate .  He is a danger to our democratic rights and needs to be shown the door ! 

AMEN now if we can get the rest of the masses to think the same way Canada needs to wake up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

AMEN now if we can get the rest of the masses to think the same way Canada needs to wake up

 

Good luck, Canada is governed by a few urban metrocultures that don't even resemble Canada anymore,  the way our voting and ridings are set up. Haven't been to TO in over ten years and I lived there 5 years going to university '69 to '74 , felt like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz, " we aren't in Canada anymore Toto "  probably worse now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, smerchly said:

Mr. T. knows how to play the cards well

 

41 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Canada is governed by a few urban metrocultures

 

It's called "Stacking the Deck" .....unfortunately , I don't see it changing in the future ....( but we did get rid of Wynne ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...