Boat Lauches Can Open

Its About Time

Great news.  Boat launches can open on Saturday May 16th at 12:01. 

I wonder how many will actually open on Saturday.  The cities will have to remove all their barricades.  Will they do it on Friday or Saturday or wait until Tuesday to remove thme since it is a long weekend.

Lets see what happens

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is wonderful news but we do have to remember that the ramps such as at Sugarloaf, Crystal beach, Chippawa and along the parkway are controlled by the various municipalities and they have to give their ok too. 

The mayor of St. Catharines just put out a statement saying that although the province says they can open he has chosen not to open garden city golf or public launches.   I wonder what his rationale is!!  Previously his office said the decision to close ramps was the provinces. 

is sunset beach ramp the only public ramp? 

I’m with you fish farmer...FISH ON!

Can’t wait to get the boat in! Fishing alone. It’s prob $750 to have a partner who doesn’t share address? Not worth the fine .

FF

1 hour ago, fredfisher said:

I’m with you fish farmer...FISH ON!

Can’t wait to get the boat in! Fishing alone. It’s prob $750 to have a partner who doesn’t share address? Not worth the fine .

FF

Your right FF, fish by your self. Guys don't screw things up for the rest of us. They may change the rules later, be patient.

Are they stopping vehicles if they see 2 guys together ?   I was reading a comment about 2 guys launching a 20' boat and sitting 18' apart (3x the legal "limit" ) ,,,,   and landing their own fish !  I have to chuckle at all this after seeing the long line ups a some stores .  Not a nice day today ,  think it would be good to have ALL launches open  since there wouldn't be a big rush to be fishing today .

As has been said many times .....keep your distance for both yourself and others .....wear a mask if desired , saw a lone lady driving yesterday wearing a mask.....?

Just now, Booter said:

If your boat can safely distance two or more people then I don’t see fishing with a friend being an issue. 
Is there something concrete that says otherwise ? 

I don't see much of an issue , like opening up a golf course ,  just keep your distance .

I think we can worry about things like global travel .....or borders .......

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9988481-new-travel-case-of-covid-19-linked-to-u-s-outbreak-found-in-niagara/

How do you and your buddy plan on driving the boat? Even in my buddies 20' Ranger I can reach out and touch him while traveling from spot to spot. You must have a very wide boat. Play it safe and fish alone. 

The announcement is only a few hours old and we've already started. If I can go why can't I bring a friend or two. Trying to social distance in a fishing boat would be pretty much impossible on a normal 5-6 hour trip. How about arriving at the ramp? Are you all going to be in separate vehicles? Right or wrong, whether you agree with it or not, they have told us what we can do and I am pretty sure they will be keeping an eye on it. Flaunt the rules and they will shut it down again in the blink of an eye. If you will remember, they shut us down in the first place because so many people were not following the guidelines. I emphasize with all of you, so much of the joy of fishing comes from spending your time on the water with long time partners and companions but right now the rules have changed. Follow them or we will once again be sitting on the shore bitching about it.

Hopefully they will open soon, but realistically I don't see how it's possible to "social distance" in a boat. You will touch common items and it's pretty much guaranteed you will come into close contact at some point. It will come down to whether you want to risk it personally. 

I'm in a bit of an internal conflict over this myself. On one hand I have been extremely careful with social distancing to this point as have most of my friends and family, but at the same time it would be relatively low risk to go out fishing with a buddy, at least that's my perception.  I have lots of friends that would likely go out with me on my boat tomorrow fishing, but at the same time, my wife is a nurse, one of my daughters is working as a PSW at a nursing home, another daughter is a clerk at a grocery store. all living under one roof. I am confident that they aren't infected, and I'm confident that I haven't been either.. But if you asked anyone that did get sick before they got sick they would likely say the same thing. It won't happen to me. In hind sight maybe a don't want to go fishing with myself! Ha

Thank god we can get the boats wet now!! But I think we’d all be smart to be more careful now that they’re easing off on the restrictions. Last thing we want is to lose the opportunities we just got back! I for 1 will only fish alone for the foreseeable future. Less fun, but better than watching fishing shows on the sofa!!

After Ford's announcement yesterday I emailed the Town of Ft. Erie asking id the CB ramp would be opening up, and this is the reply I got:

There has been no decision made yet as to a date for re-opening the boat launch but we are looking at that now.  We know that residents are getting anxious to get out to the parks, playgrounds and beaches but we want to make sure that we open in a manner that is safe for everyone.
You can also check our website www.forterie.ca for updates.  There is a Covid-19 Updates link on our website which is updated regularly.  

2 hours ago, Booter said:

If your boat can safely distance two or more people then I don’t see fishing with a friend being an issue. 
Is there something concrete that says otherwise ? 

Until I hear something official ,I’ll be boating solo unless my kid comes with.Hopefully I get pulled over on the water and I can hear what the authorities have to say about the situation...did I just say that????

15 minutes ago, genec said:

we want to make sure that we open in a manner that is safe for everyone.

That means it will be safe when there's zero C-19 cases happening . It only takes a few cases to light the fire again .  Fishing solo has it's risks as problems can happen on the water ( especially with old codgers) ....   🦕

A 14' tinner has a front seat where one can plant there butt and keep the "safe" distance from the back seat operator .  I have had my neighbours  come to my door and hand us some food they made ....been in each others yards , helping out with heavy objects , etc .etc. ....no more dangerous than brushing shoulder with passing a shopper going the wrong way in isle #7 .....

I'm sure they would catch thousands more people  who don't live together , driving together .

I don't intend on boating for a long while , but hope to launch my 16' canoe soon as I get the word ......   :Gonefishing:

I concur Smerch, it is never really advisable to go boating by yourself. I've been doing all the grocery shopping (and LCBO/beer store) and, although there really hasn't been any lingering, people walk by each other all the time. I would think being out in the open air within a few feet would be much safer. Having said that, it's only my son who comes out with me anyway.

Port D boat launch is open as of right now as well as the section of the break wall for fishing.  Went there this afternoon for a drive and the gate was open. 

CHCH just said they will be enforcing things like...only people from same house in a boat....social distancing at ramp....no tying boats together...will be out enforcing safety checks.....that's the latest news I got on that 2 mins ago

Archived