Thursday morning Turkey Hunt

With all the pictures of Turkeys being taken I thought I had better get out again before it was too late. I planned all week and figured to up my odds that I had better upgrade my Jake decoy, so made a run to Bass Pro on Wed. to pick up a Avian X HDR quarter strut Jake decoy, because of course it would make all the difference over my 10 year old cheap foam one.

Wake up on Thursday at 4:30, can't get my son out of bed so go off by myself. Get out to the farm I was hunting around 5:30, get to my spot carefully take out my fancy new decoy out its custom carrying bag being careful not to get it dirty as I set it up along side it's homely foam hen girlfriend, then settle in. I decided to try to let the decoys do the work this time to avoid scaring anything off with my less than professional calling, so just laid in wait in silent anticipation of a big Tom.

It was a beautiful morning to be out, The sounds of the bush in the spring are amazing, with ducks and geese flying low overhead along with a couple blue herons. Noticed that not a contrail in sight in a cloudless blue sky. I had a groundhog walk past me about 10 feet away, which is a fairly rare sight these days, a small grey and yellow bird landed a couple of feet in front of me, hopping from branch to branch looking at me curiously and eventually flying off.(not much to meat on them so let if be)

Around 6:30 a loan turkey walked out of the bush about 100 yards off, walked straight out into the field about 50 yards or so, turned around and walked straight back into the bush. Then just before 7 a Jake came flying out of nowhere gliding down and landing about 20 feet from my decoy, took a couple of steps toward it then turned around and ran back towards the bush, it then slowly walked away along the brush line. I could have easily shot it when it first landed however wanted to savour the experience of it coming in and interacting with my shiny new decoy.  Instead I got to savour watching it slowly disappear into the bush. Maybe the decoy is too fine a looking specimen and intimidated the young jake. I thought longingly about my old foam one that he might have been more comfortable one hanging out with.

Around 8:00 I heard a distant gobble, after 15 minutes or so, I decided to throw caution to the wind and pull out my box call. I tried to keep it subtle and to a minimum,  it sounded like it closed the distance to about 70 yards or so but hung up, talked back and forth with that turkey until about 9:30 with it refusing to come any closer and having to get back to work I decided to pull the plug and head back.

No turkey on the meat pole but a great experience non the less. I'm hoping that I can get out with my son at least one more time before the season is over but between the honey do list and the need for Perch It might be tough.

Archived