Jordan Harbour today

Bubba14

Greetings all!

My son and I went for a paddle today targeting cats and got the big white stripe! We netted this guy that was doing circles on the surface. Saw a few others doing the same and one dead one. Any thoughts on what this is? Kinda looks like a grass carp I thought...

Unknown fish.jpg

43 minutes ago, DNorton said:

I’ve seen gizzard shad do that before in Jordan harbour and quite large too. 

Yes ,  looks like a king size gizz .....chop it up for cat bait ......   B)

6 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Yes ,  looks like a king size gizz .....chop it up for cat bait ......   B)

That's exactly what I had said I was going to do, but I ended up putting it back once I snapped the pic. And yes, there were splashing all around the shore, porpoising  and swimming circles. I didn't realize they got that big.

Years ago the alewives (shiners) came in after the smelt run . The also did the circle dance and pike would invade their party for a few "bites" . Then they would die off and stink up the beaches . Those big gizzard shad may be dining on the heavy run of bait fish .

11 minutes ago, slowski said:

anyone know what the situation is with gas motors in Jordan? I saw a sign saying no gas motors by the kayak club building? definitely seen a few boats in there at times

No launching of gas motors from the conservation area.  They can't stop people from coming in off the lake or those who have their own dock on their property.

If you don't know that area though, definitely not somewhere you want to rip through blindly.

2 minutes ago, Snags said:

No launching of gas motors from the conservation area.  They can't stop people from coming in off the lake or those who have their own dock on their property.

If you don't know that area though, definitely not somewhere you want to rip through blindly.

for sure, I just would rather sit in my boat then risk getting ticks all over me if going for cats

35 minutes ago, slowski said:

for sure, I just would rather sit in my boat then risk getting ticks all over me if going for cats

Since the lake levels are higher , Spots like Jordan Harbour would be a little deeper , I have seen big boats with a 90 HP rip through the pond .....they must know the depths as they travel through . ( cookie trail)

We've been warned ticks may be bad this year . A good hot dry spell may kill many .... use deet  and don't run over possums ...they eat many ticks ...we have a family of them in the hood . They are ugly but so is Barbara Srteisand ....

I've never heard anything about restrictions on gas motors in Jordan. I've boated in there for 40 years, mainly for water skiing, when Don Campbell had the marina there were boats out everywhere. I've used everything from a 16' outboard to a 24' sterndrive and not once did I damage a prop. Stirred up some mud sometimes but that was about it.

I remember Don well .  Over the years more silt has been washed in from land runoff . lt's only about 3' - 4' deep in the marina part now .  It's a conservation park and they do not allow launching a vessel with a gas engine at the ramp . A canoe can have an electric motor . If you launch at the Beacon ramp with a gas motor you can slowly navigate under the bridges to the harbour . The bottom is mostly mud in the bay and there may be some unseen structure (logs) in there ...

I saw those shad by the dozens spawning and making a ruckus in Hamilton Harbour this morning.  They were pretty big!!  I even had trouble identifying them, because they are supposed to reach a max length of 14 inches( from what the research says ), but the ones I was looking at this morning were bigger than that.   Me thinks the research stats need updating.  

I checked it out on Wiki  and found there are other types of gizzard shad . They  have been recorded to be 18"+ , and they grow very quickly  .......lots more info from Wiki ......

" The gizzard shad can range from very small size when fry to a maximum recorded length of 477 mm (18.8 in) and maximum weight of 1.56 kg (3.4 lb).[5] The average length is typically larger in northern waters, and ranges from 284 mm (11.2 in) at age three years to 399 mm (15.7 in) at age 10. "  

They could be fun to catch on light rods , if they would take a minnow .....

The schools of fish I saw at Jordan seemed to be in the 20inch range or so, bout 6-8 of em, they seemed to be a bit larger then I thought they would normally be for a gizzard shad, at first I thought they were a school of Asian carp 😧

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

I checked it out on Wiki  and found there are other types of gizzard shad . They  have been recorded to be 18"+ , and they grow very quickly  .......lots more info from Wiki ......

" The gizzard shad can range from very small size when fry to a maximum recorded length of 477 mm (18.8 in) and maximum weight of 1.56 kg (3.4 lb).[5] The average length is typically larger in northern waters, and ranges from 284 mm (11.2 in) at age three years to 399 mm (15.7 in) at age 10. "  

Ok, well that would explain it Smerch.  I was very certain I had identified the fish correctly but to be honest, I've never seen them quite that large.  Thanks for that!

4 hours ago, Bass-turd said:

The schools of fish I saw at Jordan seemed to be in the 20inch range or so, bout 6-8 of em, they seemed to be a bit larger then I thought they would normally be for a gizzard shad, at first I thought they were a school of Asian carp 😧

I guess we were seeing the same thing Bass-turd.   I didn't wanna say I was seeing fish in the 20-inch range because I thought that was too big  for the species, so I'm glad you said it first.  lol

CH News tonight showed many dead fish at Coote's Paradise mostly gizzard shad and cat fish ....rain runoff

They called them herring .

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilton-region/2020/05/29/hundreds-of-dead-fish-floating-in-cootes-paradise-worry-residents.html

Archived