What's Your Rating????

Tony

If you had to rate yourself out of 100% regarding your level of fishing skills, what would it be????  I know that there are a lot of very good fishermen (women) in this group.......Me, I love the 

sport but my level of fishing expertise isn't that great.  I would give myself a grade of 60%.  I'm curious about everyone else.  Try to be honest and let's have some fun.............😎😎

fishing-1572408_1920.jpg

1 minute ago, мормышка said:

Overall life time in skills/knowledge/experience combined, definitely 80%. Just not a boater only shore.

Still have lots to learn (but not interested in any big water trolling) and catch a couple of fish I haven't caught yet.

I'm the same.........I only fish from shore..............................

I've tried float fishing, trolling, charters, drifting, bottom bouncing, you name it.  Kayak fishing, Big boat fishing, little boat fishing, shore fishing.  I eat, sleep, and breathe fishing.

Then I talk to another fisherperson and realize I know absolutely nothing, lol.

5% knowledge, haven't even tried salt water before!

I would say 75 percent for myself ..I know most of the techniques both off shore and on a boat....been trolling Erie and Ontario since I was 6yrs old with my dad (passed now ) bought my own boat at16 and a trailer on rice ...fished everyday for 90 days a season for about 8 yrs before I sold the trailer...fly fished mostly for trout and bass..locally ....never done any salt water though cause never been anywhere for a vacation outta Ontario....fished several lakes from Ontario to Dryden ....largest catches to date are 17 lb rainbow ..22 lb muskie ...11.6 lb Walley ...salmon in high 20s....same with carp ..couple 7 lb smallies and largies ...and many other nice trophy fish but now as a business owner my times been cut in half so if I get out a couple times a week I'm really lucky..I'm an Erie troller for the summer months with a few up north trips maybe in the mix ...fish the river once the waters cold and ice fish whenever wherever I can ..I could fish everyday no problem if somebody would pay my bills lol..any takers?

Do electronics figure into the success rate ?  I  consider myself a "grasshopper" ....mostly shore angler , multi species , using simple techniques , like bottom fishing with a worm or piece of corn , float fishing with live bait , or drifting a 3 way rig.....nothing fancy . Casting a lure for pike , or drifting simple rigs from a boat/canoe . ...so I'll rate myself  at 51 which is a pass in our educational system .  🤔

38 minutes ago, marktheperchman said:

As for perch fishing out of a canoe, I would rate myself 9/10. I don't do much other fishing.

You have it down pat Mark .... the perch whisperer ....nice way to fish !

I’m not sure how I would rate myself ? I’ve done the lake o charters and hauling in salmon. I’ve kayaked the big lakes and pulled in some nice size trout. I mainly fish from shore but I also fly fish. I tend to think my grasp on fishing is quite good yet I’m on the bank or talking to others and realize there is still so much I don’t know ! It’s probably what I love most about the sport. There is no black and white to it. It’s all grey area and thinking outside the box goes along way. 

Not such an easy question to answer. I fish mainly for perch and walleye on Lake Erie. When I first started about 15 years ago I very seldom had much success. I would return to the launch ramp skunked or with very few fish on a good day, while others would always have done much better. I now have a well equipped bigger boat capable of handling most conditions on Erie and top notch electronics that I am finally starting to understand (only took me 30 years). I understand the fish patterns better and now I'm the guy returning to the ramp with my limit on most days. Am I better, luckier, or maybe there's just more fish these days. When I was young I took several fly-in trips with my Dad to far Northern lakes. We always caught some fish but it was nothing like I expected. I now realize I spent far too much time trying to cover the whole lake rather than studying it, picking some likely looking spots, and patiently working them with the correct lures, bait and technique. Hunting was the same, when I first started going for moose 40 years ago, my goal was too put as many miles in the bush as possible. I now have a much better understanding of the animal and its habits, and concentrate all my time in the areas they are most likely to be.  My success has sky-rocketed. So yes, I think I am now in the upper 50% but as many of you have said, the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.

14 hours ago, DNorton said:

It’s all grey area and thinking outside the box goes along way. 

The box has too many toys in it Norton ......I like to keep it simple , but always thinking about modifying rigs ,  looking at new baits carp and cats that are cheap and simple to make . If I was much younger , I would be using a fly rod .....so much to learn , so many choices ......

...........Verado .....my moose days are over  now .....We found doing a lot of leg work in the bush with our trusty compass and map paid off as well . Walking on eggs  ,  listening intently , looking eagle eyed for tracks  and "manure" , sniffing the air , and sitting quietly for 10 minutes , all contributed to successful hunts .  I'll give myself a 51+ for those hunting days    :bravo:

I wish I could get back into moose hunting ....my group leader had a stroke at 71 ...second oldest just had both knees done and is struggling to get around these days ..our tag numbers for 12a plummeted to almost no chance with a 6 man group ...we've always done it the rough way ...large tents with wood burners and a generator ...always a full 7 days hunt early ...fish the afternoon away and hunt last few hours of the evening ..did very well throughout my 16 yrs but haven't been the last two....my other two buddy's started going to Newfoundland with a guide they know 3000$ each..can't do it! 

1 hour ago, verado said:

The female dog is that when we finally learn how to do these things, we've become too old to do them.

Those female dogs can be a biotch some times .....haha

I don't know how much longer I can control the big carp ....  after today my elbowitis is a biotch !

Your style of hunting was the same as mine Fishking. We were usually in the Shining Tree, Gogama area. Six to eight of us in 2 big prospector tents set face to face in a gravel pit with a dining fly in between. Wood burning air-tights in all of them but no generator. Didn't have to worry about refrigeration because back then, even though  we were hunting in late Sept, cold temperatures and some snow was always a given. No four wheel drive trucks or atv's either. Those were the days when a moose licence was $15 and it covered any animal, no draw, plus a bear and a wolf. I enjoyed it immensely and we were successful about every other year. Now that I am a senior, I love our camp in the Haliburton forest. Two big cabins, very little set up time and only 4 hours away. We've filled a tag the last 5 or 6 years in a row but that no longer matters to me. As long as I have my health I will keep going.

33 minutes ago, verado said:

Your style of hunting was the same as mine Fishking. We were usually in the Shining Tree, Gogama area. Six to eight of us in 2 big prospector tents set face to face in a gravel pit with a dining fly in between. Wood burning air-tights in all of them but no generator. Didn't have to worry about refrigeration because back then, even though  we were hunting in late Sept, cold temperatures and some snow was always a given. No four wheel drive trucks or atv's either. Those were the days when a moose licence was $15 and it covered any animal, no draw, plus a bear and a wolf. I enjoyed it immensely and we were successful about every other year. Now that I am a senior, I love our camp in the Haliburton forest. Two big cabins, very little set up time and only 4 hours away. We've filled a tag the last 5 or 6 years in a row but that no longer matters to me. As long as I have my health I will keep going.

Sounds like heaven..yes health is what keeps us in the game😉

I have forgotten more about fishing than I know now. Must be an age thing. lol..................................Daniel

1 hour ago, boogaloo said:

I have forgotten more about fishing than I know now. Must be an age thing. lol..................................Daniel

Daniel .......  we elders are supposed to be a "book of knowledge"  , but unfortunately the age of the "smart" phone has overtaken the human brain's capacity to remember ........

Grab a carp rod , hooks , egg sinkers , and can of Walmart corn  at 87 cents a can and have a blast ....write that down !!  B)

1 minute ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’m with you smerch. I’ll take a 51 lol. So much to learn so little time to learn it.  

for true Ty .....we don't want people asking too many questions .......   :P

Archived