Fishing Whitemans Creek

Gil

Chubs!!@ We dont need no stinkin chubs! Lol! I thought it would be not bad because it was closed due to Covid? Any recomended spots on the upper Grand? Thanx!

I haven't fished Whiteman's for years, heavily fished and as Tyler said primarily Rainbow Par and chubs. Any of the access points on the upper grand in Fergus are good.

I think below shands  dam (Belwood lake) there’s a fly only section. I was there a long time ago and couldn’t make out what the sign was trying to say. The guys fishing didn’t seem too pleased with us or maybe the spin rods we were using.  

If you are thinking of heading to the upper grand, check out the flow charts on the Grand River Conservation Authority website before you leave. It shows the flow rates, it is pretty much live and shows flow levels going back a week or so so you can gauge if it is fishable. Brutal to drive up there only to find out the water is too high to fish. It's the fly fishing equivalent of checking the weather buoy out on the lake.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 7:00 AM, Gil said:

Wondering about parking at apps mill conservation area.  Any info appreciated. Thanx

Best is to follow the same road apps mill is on right to the end, and make a left towards the river. Youlll see the bridge. Just park up from the bridge. Lots of water there. I caught a 16" brown in there and lots of small ones. Went back this past season and fishing was dead. One small 5" brown and that was it. The water up that way is perfect with lots of nice pools, just no fish.

• 9 months later...