Carp carp carp

smerchly

Yepper ...got 3 today , largest one was 13.5 lbs .....(if my scale is on )  ...seemed to be near 30 lbs to me .....   :bb2:

Fished at "Nort's" spot & noticed this long "rope - reed" near the surface running parallel to the shore about 20' out .

It seemed to be floating & the wind was moving it towards me . ...then I hooked a nice carp !  It ran toward the "rope" & hooked me up

on the bottom & into some heavy weeds to my right . I opened the bail to see if it would turn around & it did ! I landed it & checked my line for frays ...good to go !

Then I decided to pull this "rope thing " in with my 30# braid ....It came in a foot or two & I saw it was a cable , about 1/2 " thick & I couldn't move it & I got my line off

by dropping & lifting until the hook skipped over it . I packed up and moved .....will not fish there again . I believe it's an old cable they used to mark lanes for rowers & somehow

ended up there . An outboard motor could easily hit the cable & flip a boat . ....the police came in with a black raft boat & I saw a firetruck pass by on the road with a yellow raft boat on the back ?

I had many "bumps" today , taking a few inches of line , setting off the alarm for a couple of "beeps"  , can't seem to hook one & they didn't take any maize from the hair rig. !  I did see a school of about 8 sunfish cruise by ......  So I caught 2 more carp at my old spot , one close to 10 lbs & one about 6 lbs . NICE day to be there !! 

My first one was a steamboat , lucky to have landed it with 5 lbs.of weeds wrapped around it !   

I vill be back !!  

Daloozie  doozie.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice fatty smerch glad you didn’t lose any tackle to the rope. I need to get out carping  

I'm sure it's a steel cable Ty ....bad spot for carp fishing ....maybe let the town know it could be a hazard .

Are these guys cops or MNR  ??

police boat.jpg

Tried Rennie again today , came in from the back side ....about 40 vehicles in the parking lot !  Everyone is on the loose after being in the coop after a 3 month sentence .....out on parole to walk , talk , picnic , take Fido out for a run etc etc etc .

I took 2 rods , one light rod to catch those "bumps" that I have been getting lately ....but no bites on the worm !  So I chummed with maize , loaded up the hair and what do you know ....some bumps !! After 5 minutes of getting a few bumps the tip bent more and low & behold , it was a carp ....and went nuts !  It was only about 10 lbs but smoked my reel a few times !! 

Four more after that ....3 close to 10 lbs and one about 5 lbs , but another great scrapper for it's size . Four of the 5 carp did the "bump" thing before taking the plunge !  When I fished the shallow spots at Jordan , many would also pick up ...and drop the line many times until they bent the tip of the rod enough for a "hook set" !  

They were still biting when I left as the hot sun was too much for this old guy with a good north wind behind me . Three plus hours was  very productive !  (sore elbow)  ....Next test run ....Jordan !

Just took one shot today ....most were close to this size ....and very tough scrappers ! 

Cheers !

One eyed carp.jpg

Lean, torpedo-shaped that one, Smerch.  No wonder they gave such a good account of themselves. 

You know, I'm always astounded when you see these giant carp generate enough speed in water only a foot or two deep, and jump clear out of the water.  It's amazing.  

1 hour ago, Mike Pike said:

Lean, torpedo-shaped that one, Smerch.  No wonder they gave such a good account of themselves. 

You know, I'm always astounded when you see these giant carp generate enough speed in water only a foot or two deep, and jump clear out of the water.  It's amazing.  

This one also had a missing eye ....and ran on high test Mike .  I'm surprised that I haven't yet reached the 15 lb. mark . That 30lb.+ mark seems a long way off . There's a lot of carp in there ....nice weed beds ....seems perfect for them , maybe too much competition .  The carp pictured above has a missing eye ....not sure if it's an old injury or born that way ......

Carps Eye.jpg

Several years ago, I saw a carp in Hammy Harbour with no eyes.  It was clear that it was born that way, but the fish looked perfectly normal had no problems feeding and living a healthy carpy life without ever having eyes.   Just shows you how keen all its other senses must be.

Yes Mike ,   other senses get sharper when creatures ( including us)  lose both eyes . This one had one eye left so it will survive normally .  It's tail was worn flat on the bottom .....spawned out female my guess . 

Jordan today was a bust , another elderly man  opposite me also had no luck . They should be biting there now ! I saw one carp ...did a roll right over my bait  !!   :dunno:   

Two foreign guys who spoke broken (hard to comprende) , had 2 small drum on a chain , using big dewies .... I'll give it another go in a week .....need to take the canoe out for a test run with the paddle . ( I'll take a shot of Sea Foam  for extra smerch power) .

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:39 PM, smerchly said:

Tried Rennie again today , came in from the back side ....about 40 vehicles in the parking lot !  Everyone is on the loose after being in the coop after a 3 month sentence .....out on parole to walk , talk , picnic , take Fido out for a run etc etc etc .

I took 2 rods , one light rod to catch those "bumps" that I have been getting lately ....but no bites on the worm !  So I chummed with maize , loaded up the hair and what do you know ....some bumps !! After 5 minutes of getting a few bumps the tip bent more and low & behold , it was a carp ....and went nuts !  It was only about 10 lbs but smoked my reel a few times !! 

Four more after that ....3 close to 10 lbs and one about 5 lbs , but another great scrapper for it's size . Four of the 5 carp did the "bump" thing before taking the plunge !  When I fished the shallow spots at Jordan , many would also pick up ...and drop the line many times until they bent the tip of the rod enough for a "hook set" !  

They were still biting when I left as the hot sun was too much for this old guy with a good north wind behind me . Three plus hours was  very productive !  (sore elbow)  ....Next test run ....Jordan !

Just took one shot today ....most were close to this size ....and very tough scrappers ! 

Cheers !

One eyed carp.jpg

Hey,

What is your maize recipe?  I tried there from the dock with just corn on the hook but no chum last night but no bites.  We used to fish for carp in the Leamington area at Hillman's Marsh conservation area, one after another all day long....Chummed just with sweet corn.

2 hours ago, steelshady said:

What is your maize recipe?

Not much of a recipe ,  just boiled (simmer) the feed corn for about 20 -30 minutes , let cool off slowly , drain most of the juice and I added a can of crushed pineapple with a cup of sugar while still slightly warm to sweeten the pineapple .  Other scents can be added (like vanilla, strawberry, etc) 

Most places I fish gobies will take the can corn and eat the chum quickly . I have caught up to 3 carp on the same maize on the hair rig .  ....and the price is right ! 

LOTS of videos on You Tube . I cut the sound of vids with "music" ...drives me nuts !  These "video artists" should stick with the info .....

5 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Thanks,

Do you guys chum with maize using a sling shot? Throw by hand?

Depends on where I fish . Most spots I carp fish  I use a large plastic spoon , toss by hand  (about 60 ft )or use the sling shot . ....also other devices for getting the corn out much further (far out) !  I have been using about a cup to start & a half cup evry hour or so to keep them at the table !   Others will have different methods ......

28 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Thanks,

Do you guys chum with maize using a sling shot? Throw by hand?

You can bait an area 100m out if you have a spomb, I have a throwing stick I can chuck corn out pretty far.  Most places smerchs spoon trick will work. 

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Do yo guys soak the fed corn for 24 hours before boiling?

I soak it for about 18 hrs,depending how fresh the maize is . My maize is now 3 years old and it will still expand after 30 minutes of simmering and stirring frequently ,then allow to cool down for an hour....but watch for splitting if over cooked .

22 hours ago, steelshady said:

Do yo guys soak the fed corn for 24 hours before boiling?

I soak it for 24hrs ish then boil for 30-45min. I cook it till about half the corn splits. I don’t use it as a hook bait so I don’t need it to stay whole.  Cook it at least till you can put your nail through it fairly easily. 

Tried that spot yesterday in the middle of the afternoon at Rene park for about 30 min, had to get out of the house with the kids even though it was hot. Forgot to bring treats for kids and caught them eating my freshly cooked Maze:slap:

I need to buy a sling shot to chum further, couldn't chum far since with my pasta spoon....

Archived