Carp carp carp

smerchly

53 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

https://www.carpkit.com/gardner-skorpion-throwing-sticks/

i bought one of these you can chuck corn pretty far.

That stick chucked your corn a good distance Ty , and your  wide super scooper worked well for broadcasting a larger load as well . I bought the sling shot and it puts the corn out there nicely but the funnel shaped corn holder has to pass through the sling shot posts  dead center ....many times it hits one side and half the corn ends up on my feet !  (practice , practice)  I can fire out chunks of frozen maize 3 miles ....   :pardon:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought a sling shot yesterday at Pete's and a jar of cured corn for todays outing.  Was using home made maize as per Smerchly recipe, bought the corn at TSC (25kg) lol...

Started chumming at 11:30 am and about 30 min carp were jumping around our baited area.  Results, 1/3 in 1 hour, fish stopped biting after we ren our of chum.

Fish.jpg

Nice going steelshady !... she's a fatty !   Can't beat smercho's home cooking !  Your son is saying "Yeahhhh "  !!  I have caught many carp there ....nice current with weed beds close by .

That bag of maize should give you about 70 lbs. of bait after it's cooked !  I find the best time to fish there is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. ,then the bite tapers off . I'll try an evening fish there in the future . 

I just picked 15 worms to try a couple spots tomorrow ....the 12 was at low tide today , maybe try for carp first & try the worms if no carp action (if the water is still down) . Plan 2 will be Port Dal .for carp & toss a few worms with light tackle for bass and  ??? .

Looks like a fine day to roll the dice......

21 hours ago, smerchly said:

the 12 was at low tide today , maybe try for carp first & try the worms if no carp action (if the water is still down) . Plan 2 will be Port Dal .for carp

Well .....the 12 was HIGH and muddy today ..must have got heavy rain upstream somewhere !! Went to Port and was fishing by 10:30 at your spot steelshady . I was hoping for a cloudy day but not to be ....it was soon getting hot .  I was getting bites steady ...nips & bumps but couldn't hook up ....don't know what they were but they were pecking pieces of the maize off the hair . By 11:15 I hooked the first carp ....scrappy fella near 10 lbs. & had a chunk of its gill missing ....and a smaller one 30 minutes later . I used up my chum (maize) & saved a handful to try another spot in the shade of that skimp tree ....no chum ,but landed 2 more carp , one of which had a "different" scale pattern .....don't know if it could be classified as a mirror or not ??  Enjoyable day !  :Gonefishing:

Renn Carp.jpg

Renmirror carp.jpg

I went back there tonight around 6:30 pm with the kids and we got three fish, all over 10 lbs and lost another one, all close in to shore.  I noticed that the carp here are very line shy, I was only able to get fish using my fenwick spinning rod equipped with 8lb main (8lb floro leader) and a home made hair rig with a size #10 hook.  My other rod rigged with 25 lbs braided line and a Pete's hair rig got zero hits in two days.

I chummed for about 45 min in one spot with the sling shot, about 2lbs of cooked maize.  Then around 7:30 pm the fish started to surface and bite....On the hair I put three pieces of cured corn from a jar bought at Pete's. 

I used to fish for carp a lot back in Windsor, we used light steelhead noodle rods with 6lb test to target the fish.  Ten years ago, when I lived in Cornwall, we used to night fish for carp with our bass flipping sticks at night below the dam, lol....That was a blast!

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

Well .....the 12 was HIGH and muddy today ..must have got heavy rain upstream somewhere !! Went to Port and was fishing by 10:30 at your spot steelshady . I was hoping for a cloudy day but not to be ....it was soon getting hot .  I was getting bites steady ...nips & bumps but couldn't hook up ....don't know what they were but they were pecking pieces of the maize off the hair . By 11:15 I hooked the first carp ....scrappy fella near 10 lbs. & had a chunk of its gill missing ....and a smaller one 30 minutes later . I used up my chum (maize) & saved a handful to try another spot in the shade of that skimp tree ....no chum ,but landed 2 more carp , one of which had a "different" scale pattern .....don't know if it could be classified as a mirror or not ??  Enjoyable day !  :Gonefishing:

Renn Carp.jpg

Renmirror carp.jpg

definitely a mirror smerch. CONGRATS!!!

I've caught two carp with the same missing gill plate, maybe its a deformity/disease that does it.

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I've caught two carp with the same missing gill plate, maybe its a deformity/disease that does it.

Possibly a big snapper took a chunk out of the gill  plate .

That's my 5 th mirror over my fishing days .....  I don't know what causes their scales to be larger or missing , some kind of mutation .....

10 hours ago, steelshady said:

equipped with 8lb main (8lb floro leader) and a home made hair rig with a size #10 hook

Yes ,  a small  sharp hook on the hair seems to help but couldn't hook those pesky bumps I was getting near the bridge .

I am using 30# braid with 20# mono for the hair rig ....I'm reluctant to use my light (trout) rods with10# line because they may dart into the weed beds just to the right there & may be tough to hall them out . I was also picking up short weeds from the bottom , hence I  try not to move my weight after it hits bottom .

Carp were jumping before I chummed lightly & baited up ...some came straight up & to their tail & straight back down like a submarine periscope lol

Next trip there , think I'll try the north bank , close to the van ...and coffee shop . Those rocks are ankle breakers !

Thanks Mike , I knew it was "different"  as soon as it broke the surface . It fought like a trooper for its size !  I'll celebrate my catch with a pint of Guinness tonight ! 

Back to the scene today for a "short" run ....came back thoroughly soaked ...felt great !!!

Tried a new spot ....an old pike spot ...baited up with maize on the hair ...10 fow ....fish on 15 min.later ...long run ,then gone ...off the hook !  Tried the floating corn for 45 min ....a couple bumps ....maybe sitting too high off bottom ...back to maize ...another carp , landed close to 10 lbs. (like the double digit guess) Good scrapper , got into the some weeds near shore but hauled it through it with 20# mono lead.....  Lots of carp jumping ..2  near the tip of my rod  !  Then came the rain...& thunder ....5 minutes to pack up & get back to my van SOAKED ....stopped at the beer store ...Brrrrrrr  :o  !!  .....HOT coffee when I got home .....

Maybe fin-ish my session there tomorrow ....they are in there ! 

JWL ....that pike dock is gone today  !

48 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

i tried for some carp yesterday but my spot was weeded out. hopefully this weekend ill be out looking for those 20+ lbers.

Weeds are bad this year  and the carp love to head into them !   I'm determined to break the 20# mark at Port ....there has to be some well over 20# in there  !

The quackers kept coming after my spilled maize ...funny to see the little ones diving for it .

quackers.jpg

7 hours ago, smerchly said:

I'm determined to break the 20# mark

Went 3 for 5 today ....lost 2 in the thick weeds . 

Carp went 24 lbs ....7 , 8 & 9 lbs ......Weeds went 30 lbs ! 

Maize on the hair was the ticket again ...floating corn was slow , a couple of bumps .....

2 pictures.....  7 lb.carp &  10 lbs of weeds .....  Smerch's "little bivy"  

Nice to see you Steelshady ...your little ones sure know their carp fishing !    :D

weed carp.jpg

My Bivy.jpg

Nice seeing you as well Bill, we went back for an evening fish, a little windy but still ended up with two carp in about 1.5 hours of fishing, left at 8:30 pm.  Kids are going crazy at home, bored of the pool, bored of ipads and don't want to do homework.  They don't mind the heat and horse playing on the grass and mama bear is happy that we are out of the house.  Might try for Bass there tomorrow with all the weeds...

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch you could do an overnighter In  that bivy. Weeds are crazy right now, congrats on the couple fish.  

Ya....just toss a blanket over it and catch some zzz's .  ...or if I need to take a leak .....;)

16 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Might try for Bass there tomorrow with all the weeds

I saw a few minnows skip across the water ...something was after them ....Saw a few fish jump , may be bass . A small mud puppy came up to have a look at me  !  It's great to see the kids having so much fun with the carp . I would love to see them reeling one in ...a great time to get some video !! 

....as a side note ....I think I'll change the line on my carp reel ....I lose more carp with braid because the hard head shakes have no give and rips the hook out when lightly hooked . My reel will hold plenty of 20# mono for long runs . ....tomorrows job !  

Looks like I'm going to have to get our with you soon bill....working nights has gotten in the way of fishing for sure....things are easing up a bit at work with the odd night off early ...perhaps a weekday next week......be nice to get out ....catching a couple fish is just a bonus....lol.

12 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Looks like I'm going to have to get our with you soon bill....working nights has gotten in the way of fishing for sure....things are easing up a bit at work with the odd night off early ...perhaps a weekday next week......be nice to get out ....catching a couple fish is just a bonus....lol.

I've been doing the carp thing Jack ...keeping my biceps toned waiting for the "big one" . I have the bait and tackle , just bring a longer rod along and have a go at them nasty girls !  

Been targeting carp this weekend no luck...  I know they are In there caught one there before... 

I chummed up spot one fished there after the storm rolled through... seen a couple diesels swim through they weren't eating though... moved to spot 2... seen a juvenile  tried for a bit... random guy stopped by for a chat asked what I was fishing for blah blah...

I was getting bored no action for a bit... so i walked back to truck.. put my stuff away.. then decided to see what was going on at spot #1... I walk down there maybe 10 min walk from truck... longer than # 2.. 

I see 5-6 diesels circling my chumming spots... at least 20lbs + I'm thinking double that... also seen a Goldie cross so...  I wanted to go grab my rod and try some more but.. I told the wife I was coming home... 

I'm new here and I love targeting carp.. I'm a amateur for sure  but I try... I like all types of fishing but because the carp fishery here In the hammer is decent and I dont have access to a boat.. so that's what I fish for... in winter if bay freezes try different species.... 

I'll be hitting up that spot again... its 5min from work and 10min from home so that's the kind of places I like... can't wait to share some pics 

On 7/17/2020 at 10:20 PM, smerchly said:

Ya....just toss a blanket over it and catch some zzz's .  ...or if I need to take a leak .....;)

I saw a few minnows skip across the water ...something was after them ....Saw a few fish jump , may be bass . A small mud puppy came up to have a look at me  !  It's great to see the kids having so much fun with the carp . I would love to see them reeling one in ...a great time to get some video !! 

....as a side note ....I think I'll change the line on my carp reel ....I lose more carp with braid because the hard head shakes have no give and rips the hook out when lightly hooked . My reel will hold plenty of 20# mono for long runs . ....tomorrows job !  

Smerch, so you’re not changing all your line out - do you think adding 15-20 feet of mono onto your braid would do the trick ? That way you’d still have some stretch in that leader but have that castability of the braid.  I’m not a carp fisherman but just an idea.  Thoughts ?

2 hours ago, FishingClyde said:

I see 5-6 diesels circling my chumming spots.

I take it a diesel is a tank .....and welcome to the club ...great intro post !   I believe chumming helps keep them there and also draws more carp to investigate all the commotion going on . I don't chum much for a 2-3 hour session  but enough to keep the bite going.....but the bite seems to slow down in mid afternoon, regardless  of chumming.....good time to grab a nap !

Hope to see some of those diesels soon ! 

Cheers !

Archived