Fill the proper tank

Chrisb

This is the result of filling the water tank instead of the gas tank.

Here is the story from a friend who has a boat in the same Marina in Buffalo.

About 8:30am Wednesday the owner of a 31 foot boat decided he would fill his gas tank at the gas pump approximately 150’ from his dock slip. After filling his gas tank he returned to his slip at Rich Marine. As he was walking off the dock, his boat blew up, throwing him 25ft from the boat. His boat sank to the bottom of the Marine (picture below) and started five other boats on fire. 

Tip of the day: When filling your boat with gasoline, make sure you fill the gas tank……Not The Water Tank with gas! He is lucky he wasn’t on the boat at the time. The top of the boat blew off the bottom part of the boat.

image.png

image.png

image.png

5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

What’s a water tank? Cooling system? So gas ran through the cooling system and blew the boat up?  how did this boat blow up?

Yes, I definitely also have a few questions, it sucks for those other boat owners who lost their vessel because of someone else’s stupidity 

6 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

What’s a water tank? Cooling system? So gas ran through the cooling system and blew the boat up?  how did this boat blow up?

I think he means the water tank that supplies the boat with water. I.e. for the sink. Boats with a cabin have on board water capabilities and the water tank Sometimes is close to the back of the boat where you’d fill your gas tank. However, I’m still wondering wondering how this blew up too.

Wow the owner of the BBQ boat beside him is going to be pissed especially at the beginning of the season, good thing that no one was hurt. That's why it's so important to run your blower to clear out the gas fumes. In this case based on your information Chris the whole boat could have been full of fumes when it went up. 

Archived