Family limits

smerchly

I read through this :   

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-limits-size-restrictions-and-catch-and-release#section-1

Can't find how fishing limits work for families ....e.g. ,  I saw a family of 4 (  guy,wife, 2 small kids) with a lot of fish in buckets ....kids using floats . Most fish were bass with a few small drum . Can they legally take 24 bass each outing ?  Can they have 24 in the  freezer ? Can they take 24 everyday and give them to friends or family members ?

I didn't see that info in the link above .....is it written somewhere in the regs ?

This would apply for all game fish as well as perch , etc ....

8 minutes ago, Booter said:

I did call about this. Kids are allowed the same sport limit without a license. 

Thanks Boots  ,  I thought that too but I'd like to see it in the regs .

2 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

24 bass for a family of 4 is too many imo.  I don’t keep bass, maybe some perch and some pickerel but 24 bass in a day is silly.  

They could also take 200 perch per day  ....could have up to 16 baited hooks ...but most bass caught are c & r .

2 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Regs don't specify an age. So when it says per person or per day it means per fisherman regardless of age, sex or any other persuasion.

Age is mentioned for needing a license  only .  If you have a large family , every member could have a limit of various fish in the freezer . ....it's not spelled out clearly in the regs . and I believe most families who fish together are aware of those "regs" .

There is a group I watched for a few months at the Dunnville dam.  2-4 guys in a 12 foot aluminum fishing for walleye at the dam.  Every day they had 2-4 in the boat and 5-8 on the shore.  The boat would catch their limit, bring the boat to the shore, offload to family, then back out to fish.

16 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

24 bass for a family of 4 is too many imo.  I don’t keep bass, maybe some perch and some pickerel but 24 bass in a day is silly.  

I agree with you....................I'm strictly a catch and release fisherman.....................Release most fish and let them live for another day..............................

3 hours ago, Jeremy778 said:

The boat would catch their limit, bring the boat to the shore, offload to family, then back out to fish.

There are many people who eat fish on a regular basis ....game fish to carp !  Meat can be very pricey , even hamburg !  Those people catching their limit for others should be illegal ......but I don't expect that to change .... more needed to be said in the regs ...

Anyone under 18 or over 65 is deemed "licensed" and is entitled to the same catch and possession limits as anyone else with a sport fishing license.  The section that covers this in the regs is pasted below.

Below are rules and regulations for fishing in Ontario, please read the following section carefully.

Most people require a Recreational Fishing Licence or deemed licence to legally fish in Ontario.

The persons described below can carry a licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by a federal, provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their name and date of birth and use it as a fishing licence:

• Ontario and Canadian residents who are under 18 or 65 years of age or older.

1 hour ago, kevin said:

Ontario and Canadian residents who are under 18 or 65 years of age or older.

Thanks Kevin .....I have been fishing without a license for 12 years now ......and I'm not under 18    B)

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

Thanks Kevin .....I have been fishing without a license for 12 years now ......and I'm not under 18    B)

But you have,  just a "deemed" license.  You've earned the freebies.  

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

I've been "license free" for a year now.........I honestly didn't even think about this, last year................

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I've been "license free" for a year now.........I honestly didn't even think about this, last year................

Buy yourself a dozen wet ones with the money Tony !  They were talking about rescinding it for seniors , but they soon found out most seniors vote Tory ....   so they decided    ...  ..:nea:

Archived