Sign in to follow this  
kevin

Tapeworms in Erie walleye

Anyone else noticing a massive increase in tape worms in the walleye this year?  80% of the fish I caught this past week, if not more, had tapeworms.

Depends what they're feeding on (or the specific food chain). Could be increased diet of organism eating infected organisms. That's how I believe its passed. Picture of worm?

No pictures.  My livewell was literally crawling with them.  So many, that they were wrapped about my pump outflow.  Guys on the US side of the lake are seeing them too.  White tape worms, crawling out the mouth and vent of fish once they die on ice.  If you keep any walleye you'll see them.  

No I didn't.  Everything I've read points towards them being harmless.  We've been eating them lol.  Apparently it's a normal, cyclical thing.

I just got home And cleaned 3 walleye from Erie and didn't see anything ...I just went to check carcasses and stomach ... nothing.....three fish today ...got really bounced around out there but managed an 8 a 7 and a 5 lb off jet n harnesses in 40 ft off port Colborne

20200628_155648.jpg