Grand river fishing

Tyler0420

Decided to hit the river and catch a meal. I knew a spot that the sun would be behind the trees so off I went. If you wanna catch fish put a spinner on, so I did.  Caught a nice smallie a few casts in then a stick, nope 15”ish walleye pulled it up on shore and it spit the hook and back it went. A few casts later feels like a log, lost it. Then another log (19.5” walleye). Some decent action then it died off. Its nice to have the grand almost in your backyard. 

FD1B0F71-432D-4619-8565-FF0862C72DD2.jpeg

D3D61B0A-B894-43A9-A9A8-98D104B9FCDF.jpeg

Good catch !  Beautiful spot to spend the day ....in the shade ! 

There must be some  carp in there .....one of your carp spots as well ? 

Good eating  !  

14 hours ago, smerchly said:

Good catch !  Beautiful spot to spend the day ....in the shade ! 

There must be some  carp in there .....one of your carp spots as well ? 

Good eating  !  

I actually haven’t spent any time targeting carp here but they should be around. A few years ago I was fishing for whatever using a pickerel rig with worms. My reel peels off and I landed my biggest river carp. Fell off the scale at 12lbs but fought like a monster. This was before I had all the special equipment. I’ve been thinking of baiting this area for carp but there’s quite a few turtles around.  A good 15-20lb snapper was swimming in front of me tonight. But I’ll probably give it a try anyways.  
1 more walleye caught tonight to add to the fish fry. 

374C953E-569A-4D03-A8AC-88FFBB57E2F2.jpeg

2 hours ago, marktheperchman said:

The water must be getting warm. Does it affect the taste of the fish?

i'm not really sure. the meat seems just as good as the walleye i caught in the Detroit river a few weeks ago. i'm sure i wont be able to tell the difference, it all taste the same battered lol. i haven't kept any fish out of the river for probably 5 years but eating some perch and walleye lately I've got the itch for another meal :)

Watch out for yellow grubs in your river smallies. You can usually see them through the skin in the throat area. If you see any in this area, there will be grubs in the fillets. If you keep a bass for consumption, try to get it cleaned and cold ASAP. Not an ideal fish to freeze so eat'em up pronto! Lots of good fishing on the Grand. Keep on enjoying Tyler.

1 hour ago, titanium77 said:

Watch out for yellow grubs in your river smallies. You can usually see them through the skin in the throat area. If you see any in this area, there will be grubs in the fillets. If you keep a bass for consumption, try to get it cleaned and cold ASAP. Not an ideal fish to freeze so eat'em up pronto! Lots of good fishing on the Grand. Keep on enjoying Tyler.

thanks for the info 77.  i usually check the fish out for any bugs etc.. ill eat them up soon.

Archived