Chemong Lake fishing

corey

I know I know... it's not Niagara but a buddy of mine got a place up on Chemong and we set out for the first time to explore. The lake is known as a panfish lake and yes, it is a panfish lake. We spent probably 3 hours of the day trolling with cranks, just flatlining and to our complete suprise, sunfish and bluegill were hammering the cranks. We probably caught 40-50 panfish in total while trolling cranks. I have never had that before.

We did a lot of testing as well. He has young children so we had to make sure we found spots and methods that would keep the kids busy. We did some testing in weeds and found that worms, no matter how they were rigged would catch fish, pretty obvious. I ran a jig on the bottom and he ran a dropshot. With the jig, if it caught the eye of a fish on the way down I could generally seal the deal with a plastic on the jig. If the jig with plastic was down for more than 30 seconds it was not getting hit ever. On his dropshot with the hook up a foot or so the fish would grab almost any plastic. It was sunfish galore.

We spent a bunch of time casting various lures looking for better fish and other than a small walleye which released itself 8 feet from the boat on me there was nothing. We were basically casting some weedy bays at that point trying to find "quality" fish. We didn't have enough time to explore the shorelines for traditional bass cover, that will be for another day.

It was our first time on Chemong and was great to get out for a day. No pics as nothing photoworthy was caught.

Chemong probably the most overfished of the trilakes....lots of pan fish that will attack your baits before anything else has a chance to get at it....lol....flipping some docks sometimes puts out the odd decent largie...but lots of small ones.....near the narrows can put out some decent walleye this time of year.

Your story makes me laugh Corey, you and your buddy are doing things right. When my kids were little we'd be at a cottage with my buddy and his kids. He'd say let's go fishing and pile his kids into his boat and head out to the middle of the lake and start trolling and casting, that is the only way he liked to fish. They would never catch anything and the kids hated it. I would take mine to a weedbed in three feet of water where they would catch sunfish and rock bass by the bucket full on their little snoopy rods. My kids loved it and still do. His kids would run and hide when their father said let's go fishing.

Archived