Best mono line .....

smerchly

I peeled off about 800 ft. of braid from my large carp reel spool today ....never thought it would end !!  I want to fill the spool with 20# mono line that is good anti abrasive , small diameter , knot tough , flexible and low memory ( not asking for much am I ..lol)   .Maybe a trip to Peter's is in order and let them  fill the spool for me ....no guessing on spool capacity .

Any recommendations from the carpers who use mono line ?   Thanks !   🐳

P-Line Flouroclear is my favorite. Not quite flourocarbon, not quite monofilament. Best of both worlds. Plus its visible enough for you to see easily if you like line watching. With a long rod you can go with less than 20 lb test.

If you spool capacity is huge then fill it with backing line (like that used braid) that you don't need to remove. The knot connecting the two lines will remind you how far to go.

Smerch id tone down the line a bit. 20lb mono is way overkill unless your throwing 4oz leads long distances. 12/14lb big game trilene should work well.  One thing I hated going from braid to mono it feels like you fighting a fish on a  bunge cord. 

My braid is 30 # with a 20 # mono lead for the hair rig ....if the line breaks the fish would have a short piece of mono plus a small hook , and  I could muscle the fish out of the weeds when needed ...

I left the mono backing on the reel & will add the new line to it .I like the P-line ....have been using it for years with no problems .

The other aspect to consider is the long 12' rod which doesn't have a lot of flexibility , and using braid with it , plus hard head shakes can rip out a lightly hooked fish .

I'll look at the diameter and flexibility of some lines .....the spool will hold all  I need for the spots I fish . A spare spool would be nice but many reels don't come with them now .

....in the mean time ....another batch soaking in the driveway ......

maize cook.jpg

Why are you thinking mono?  Don’t you find the superior casting distance and sensitivity with braid to be a huge advantage?  Does carp fishing require the stretch that mono gives?

10-15lb braid to a mono leader would give you the best of all worlds I would think.   You could cast it a mile.  Fluoro leaders are fine but the evidence suggests that mono is more abrasion resistant and the “invisibility” factor of fluoro is highly unproven. 

I don’t fish for carp, So I’m not using heavy test but for reliability and castability- Trilene XL monofilament is the cats patoot! I grew up using the stuff specifically 8-10lb . Casts a mile, never birds nests. Been using it for 20+ years and all never buy another monofilament ! 

24 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I left the mono backing on the reel & will add the new line to it .I like the P-line ....have been using it for years with no problems .

The other aspect to consider is the long 12' rod which doesn't have a lot of flexibility , and using braid with it , plus hard head shakes can rip out a lightly hooked fish .

Rod power and action determine whether you go for braid or mono for best set up.

12' long rod, but what are the actual specs on it?

If its as stiff as you imply, the line needs to give a bit for that shock absorption. Otherwise braid is better with a "softer" rod when fighting fish. If deeper water jigging/rigging, then maybe braid/fluorocarbon leader (3 - 4 ft) on a medium heavy rod is good. Stiff enough to sink the hook in, but enough give to control the fish.

Its all a situational balancing act. At least you know your set up is working for you. Could it be better/more ideal, only you can answer that.

Exactly Mopm...   I have used braid with my 8' salmon rod ( in confined spaces) . The soft tip handled the head shakes  better with the braid line . The 12 ft. Maddraggon rods come with 3 specs.  which don't vary much . I watched a video about them which demonstrated 3  curvature aspects of the rod using the same line weights . One can use an 8' rod , 15' or a fly rod if desired .Most of the carp anglers I've seen use the 12 ' rods , using both braid or mono line . Maybe it's a personal preference depending on water depth ,  water conditions (weedy or clean) , or bank structure (trees) . I like the 12' rod as it can reach over the thick shore weeds or rocks while propped on the alarm stick ,  and when the carp makes a fast run into shoreline structure the 12 footer has the advantage of reaching out to pull the line away from shore . This got me out of trouble a few times !  When I consort with other carp anglers at the water front , I usually inquire about their set up, lines and of course,  their favourite recipes .

1 hour ago, Captain Hooksets said:

I don’t fish for carp, So I’m not using heavy test but for reliability and castability- Trilene XL monofilament is the cats patoot! I grew up using the stuff specifically 8-10lb . Casts a mile, never birds nests. Been using it for 20+ years and all never buy another monofilament ! 

I'll look for that Cat Patoot brand Capt !   I've seen guys casting 50# braid for pike in a marina . When thin braid gets messy , it's a hair pulling tirade to straighten out !  When I drift a 3 way for eyes in the current , I like my 10'6" light rod and 10# braid for flexibility and for the same reasons you quoted .

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

Why are you thinking mono?  Don’t you find the superior casting distance and sensitivity with braid to be a huge advantage?  Does carp fishing require the stretch that mono gives?

10-15lb braid to a mono leader would give you the best of all worlds I would think.   You could cast it a mile.  Fluoro leaders are fine but the evidence suggests that mono is more abrasion resistant and the “invisibility” factor of fluoro is highly unproven. 

Yes , braid is more "sensitive" but when carp fishing one doe not need "sensitive"  lol . When carp take the bait we use a "bait runner " reel for a reason ...those thieves hit hard and run fast !  It's the hard blunt head shakes that can quickly slacken the line ,then quickly whip the line taut again . Mono line helps soften "the blow"  . I'll try the mono on the 12 footer for a while and change back to braid if I don't like the feel of the fight , which is most important to reeling in the catch .

As for distance ....90% of my spots are under  30 to 40 meters .  If I fish Lake O. for instance , I would use the braid for those mile long runs  lol !

Suffix 10 lbs in clear is what I use for carp. 8 lbs suffix premium in green for float fishing. 

Carp fishing been good at the pond this year, I live 5 min away so it’s our to go spot.  

1 hour ago, steelshady said:

Suffix 10 lbs in clear is what I use for carp. 8 lbs suffix premium in green for float fishing. 

Carp fishing been good at the pond this year, I live 5 min away so it’s our to go spot.  

I found the braid line easily frays and breaks if it is dragged over rocks , whereas mono is more resistant because it is harder and "slicker" . Over the years there are dozens of brand names for fishing line ...going back a way.... (  Ande line , Silver Thread , Stren , Trilene , Matzuo ,etc)  Back in the 50's the black nylon/rayon line is like braid ...no stretch , just heavier line , but it worked for us ! The knot strength and flexibility of the newer mono lines has greatly improved .

8 hours ago, steelshady said:

I've been using Suffix for quite a while..............Works very good for me......................

I have lots of old mono line which has been in the basement for over 20 years ....I test the knot strength by tying a single one loop knot and pulling it to the breaking point . I was surprised to see my old 20 # Stren still has good knot strength !  Same thing with the "old" C.T. Silver Thread !   I will try Tuesday for another go at the carp Tony . My aMAIZing bait is cooking in the driveway !  

Most spots now have weed beds on the surface plus short weeds on bottom . This web site (English) has plenty of info . on carp fishing ...and the MANY choices for carp line .  ....(had to laugh at the fist line that said "there's good weed and bad weed )  LOL 

...have a gander.....

https://carphideout.co.uk/carp-rigs/

Archived