All corn is not created equal

Steve_Guelph

So today was my first blank in several sessions at Guelph Lake. The spot I was fishing is a productive swim for me normally so I have been experimenting with different flavours of corn. Maize boiled and scent added catches but not the best. Frozen sweet corn with scent and a sweetener added worked better. Sweet corn directly from a can that is packed in sugar and salt was by far the winner. Frozen corn straight from the bag nothing added was used today and it was a blank for me. 30 feet away my friend using canned corn went 2 for 4 in a 3 hour session. As much as I wanted to switch I thought I would stick it out. I have always put my canned corn in spawn material and made dime size bags to prevent smaller fish from picking the hair rig clean if needed. Some places I fish it’s not necessary.

I like the sweet can corn...(nibblets) the best for attracting /catching carp ....but I find the gobies & other small fish can strip it off without a peep from the alarm . I will check the bait every 15-20 minutes to see if I have been robbed . My pineapple scented maize worked fine on the hair rig & sometimes caught 3 carp on the same corn/rig . I'm using vanilla scent lately but the bite seems slower ....need to use 2 rods for "testing"  ??   ....   🥕🍎🍒🌶️...

I see more scum/slime/weeds , etc. on the bottom now , so I'm going to try elevating my baits with floating corn & boilies ,etc. about 2-3" off bottom .  I can also use a corn puff directly on the hook which becomes very soft & soggy in minutes and elevates the maize , but the gobies ,etc, can inhale that puff up their nostril without a blip on the line !   

We need to get smarter ......  :read:

Ok smerch ,so what's the plan  ? 

Well .....I went to C.T. to pay my bill & grab a few things ,then checked out the "carp food" , nothing much to offer , but this bright yellow stuff caught my eye .....Trout Bait  !   and I thought ..... Carp Bait !!  ....Bright yellow , but can't see it out of the jar ....only 5 bucks ,so I got one ....rigged a piece of this very soft "spongy" like material on a hair rig with 2 pieces of maize .....let it sit in water for 30 minutes ,still intact ,a little slimy but it kept the corn afloat . It's delicate so I need to see how it stands up to casting into water . It is close to using puffed corn which also gets soft and mushy , thus better to put it directly on the hook . .....or put it on the hair between 2 pieces of maize .....

Experiment to begin when the temps drop a few degrees......   :Gonefishing:

glow mallows.jpg

To be honest I always found corn flavoured pop ups / boilies mixed with whatever scent I use in my maize works the best for me. In a pinch I’ll use frozen corn but if I know a few days out that I’m going, it’s either a corn meal pack bait and a boilie / pop up for the hook bait, or the boilie / pop up as hook bait and maize as chum. Haven’t fished solo corn mixture probably since i first started carping. Thanks for the info though. Very insightful !

2 hours ago, DNorton said:

To be honest I always found corn flavoured pop ups / boilies mixed with whatever scent I use in my maize works the best for me. In a pinch I’ll use frozen corn but if I know a few days out that I’m going, it’s either a corn meal pack bait and a boilie / pop up for the hook bait, or the boilie / pop up as hook bait and maize as chum. Haven’t fished solo corn mixture probably since i first started carping. Thanks for the info though. Very insightful !

I just started using pop up boilies lots this year. I had no confidence in them before. The hi vis yellow pineapple flavor has  been working. 

I have some concerns about chumming .....at this time of the year I wonder if the chum (maize or pack baits )  is disappearing into silt/algae/weeds on the bottom . Some of the spots are 30 ft. deep ,some with current , some have rocky bottoms where the chum may be lost in the rocks . Having the bait elevated a couple inches seems to help catch more fish . I remember Lorne  Morley (hammercarp) liked using  corn puffs which float and caught many carp on them .

Those yellow glow mallows look like corn and may be good for night fishing ......

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 9:31 PM, Steve_Guelph said:

When I need to float my corn off the bottom I add a piece of fake floating corn. Works for me and actually worked today.

I made up some corn bags today & added some small pieces of reg. styrofoam which easily breaks away from white foam insulation in various sizes . They worked good in the 12 Mile current as they would be constantly moving  about an inch from bottom . Also made some up with no floats inside the bags. The yellow glow mallows are similar to corn puffs ....they get very soft in a few minutes ...need to watch for gobies or small fish that can take them easily . I'll be using all 3 baits tomorrow ....one at a time .....:Gonefishing:

The 12 was murky & water level at high tide , probably from some rains south of Gibson . The current was stronger and 2 oz.of lead was used . Line in at 10 a.m. ...no bites on 3 baits I tried . At 1 p.m I decided to pack up ....then the alarm bells chimed !  A nice spunky 6 lb.carp took a corn bag with float beads ....Baited up with same....5 min later a chubby 10 lb (approx) as my weigh scale was dead .  About 30 min.later another one about 8 -9  lbs.  I gave it another hour and zilch .  Maybe the carp there run in small schools in the current ....saw one jump in the fast water in the middle .  Good to have some action and have another go there when the water clear up more .

Here's Karen , my chubby golden girl ...thanks for the tantrum !   :Gonefishing:

12 M. carp 30-08-20.jpg

I'll give it a go tomorrow Ty ....need to make up some more corn bags , they seem to work well & can be re-baited in seconds . All 3 carp were hooked in the top  lip quick hook removal .  I use can corn & pick out the small pieces for the bags. The cheesecloth has 2 layers . After cutting the cloth into 3" squares I carefully separate the layers to allow the corn to be seen and easier to tie with the stretch roe bag line ...quick & simple .

Here's a bag with a floater or two inside ....easy to add scent before casting out ......

corn  bag 4 carp.jpg

Archived