Replacing a Big Jon captains pack motor

deetch

Need some help.  I am reading that instead of buying the motor from BJ you can substitute with a Cisco motor. Has anyone done this? Second question if I do purchase the BJ motor are they difficult to install.  I have had the brushes done on 3 riggers but this one needs a new motor.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Lots of motors will fit the BJ. Same motor as school bus windshield wiper motor. Easy to install. Take your old one off first and youll see its not difficult at all. Just pay attention to the clutch washers on the reel and the order you take them off.

Thanks Dave, going with the Cisco motor.  It's cheaper and is good for 20 lbs were the BJ is only good for 15lbs.  I did a lot of research on it and the US guys are swapping out the BJ motors with the Cisco motors for a while now and swear by them.

10 hours ago, DaveC said:

Lots of motors will fit the BJ. Same motor as school bus windshield wiper motor.

A hunting buddy (rip Oz.) made a few riggers from electric car window motors . He was a very handy person , and was the "prop repair" man in Hastings .....

Chris, google Cisco downrigger motor replacing Big Jon and 4 to 5 links will appear.  These are mostly forum talks with people actually doing the swap out.  I also called a Big Jon distributor and he said Yes the Cisco motor is interchangeable.  The BJ motor is now around $350.00 CAD to purchase.  If you purchase right from BJ they are $180.00 USF plus freight and exchange, it will run you about $300 to $310 CAD

On 8/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, smerchly said:

A hunting buddy (rip Oz.) made a few riggers from electric car window motors . He was a very handy person , and was the "prop repair" man in Hastings .....

I converted a manual set to electric with school bus wiper motors. and I used a foot pedal indicator switch with a incorporated toggle switch. So flip toggle switch then put foot on floor switch to retrieve, and switch toggle switch opposite way reverses polarity to retrieve with the same foot pedal switch. Was really good because you were hands free to fight the fish while retrieving the ball with the foot switch. When I got rid of my boat, sold all my gear to a member on this board, and my riggers went to a guy on Lake St Clair.

On 8/19/2020 at 4:01 PM, deetch said:

Thanks Dave, going with the Cisco motor.  It's cheaper and is good for 20 lbs were the BJ is only good for 15lbs.  I did a lot of research on it and the US guys are swapping out the BJ motors with the Cisco motors for a while now and swear by them.

Take a look on Amazon as well if you have not already bought the Cisco. I googled school bus wiper motor and amazon lists quite a few. Not sure about the pound ratings, but something for you to look at anyway.

Archived