Gibby bust

smerchly

NOT my lucky day today .....got all set up , chummed with maize , rod in new spring holder , sitting in chair waiting for the "big one" I hear a noise above me ...walked up the bank to see trucks and a front end loader . They never saw me and were going to remove the brush I was in to clear the banks ...to check for leaks ????  I had to move right away  !   Grrrrrr !!!

So I set up camp at another spot ...more current , weeds , but I could fish out of the back of the van with rod 20' away !  A few carp jumped in the deeper water 150 yds. out ....But , like yesterday , didn't even give me a " hello" !  So ,after 2 hrs. of nothingness , I went to Big Reds and brought home "the bacon" ...kielbasa , peppers , celery & bread !! 

As usual up there ,  the garbage gangs left their mark !  It's sad that so many "fishermen"  have no respect for our environment !!  They have no class and don't deserve to use our waterways for their dump sites . And the "butt" people ...some of them think that butts are harmless and toss them anywhere they like ....I'll just say they don't know any better and leave it at that !    :slap:

I spent 20 minutes going over the area ( bank & shrubs)  picking up line . One ball of braid has to be 50 lb. test ...some line with hooks in it ....good way of losing fishing spots ....and many of these low lifes are from the north shore of Lake O .  !!  Yaknowwhatimean.......

fish line trash.jpg

heavy braid trash.jpg

butt trash.jpg

Probably some of those "tronna" people using 50# line for those night time channel cats ....  talking to an older gentleman there today & he has seen the invasion of the "smelt crew" that couldn't fish at Queenston this year ...... 

In contrast .....when we fished or hunted in the northern regions of Ontario , we would find an island where others had camped and found the site to be very clean ...not one beer tab or a cig.butt to be found , and we left it spotless knowing the mnr would be checking it out after we left  ! We had six guys with one smoker (rip) and he put every butt into a tin can ......Things are much different here as the pigs wallow in their own filth carefree  ....

Gary and I were out twice last weekend and got the white stripe as well. I had one hookup that lasted about 3 seconds. A couple of other pickups and that was it. Just enough to keep us at the spot for another half an hour...

10 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Two skunks in a row smerch that’s not like you. Thanks for cleaning up the line, hopefully the fish gods will reward you next trip out. 

I have seen a few dead possums on the road lately .....the skunks seem to be invading my fishing spots ....

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

out twice last weekend and got the white stripe as well

Your spots too Bubba ?   ....something fishy going on .......🤨

,,,,having problem loading site ....hope it's ok now....

Looking at a carp  UTube  fishing  video by Thundermist ...whirlpool with the ladies .

The new carp bait looks appealing .....Some comments from local people , (rough bottom ,hard on rigs)...

We should pitch in and by Mr .Thundermist a carp net ......  :)'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nka9FxOJoxw

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Is it only when clicking on the top is the screen to get to the main page?

Yes  ,  all seems well right now ....it could be my very slow pute loading up Google completely .

I will need to dump this old relic (windows 7/ Firefox )  this fall and get something from the 80's , at least !

3 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I have noticed with the warmer water  that I have been successful this past few weeks fishing the deeper water. My carp fishing moves from 10 feet to 30 feet within an hour of sunrise. 

The carp I saw jumping were in the deep water ,approx.  15 -20' at Gibson .  I hope to get back to the first spot soon which is about 15 ' with a slow current with 3-4' viz.  ....Looking to do a few hours at the 12 Mile and try the "Thundermist 3 way bolt rig ....only 4 minute drive from my house !    ( plus 3 minute bike ride)

I have never tried them or seen them for sale . I can easily make bait sacks from the cheese cloth I bought last year . ....many baits I can try in those bags ....  and I can add some floating beads which would keep the bait sack elevated an inch or three....  I  use a bowl of water to see how much buoyancy I want .....

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ya I would just use roe bag mesh or something like that. 5 for 5$us and can only use once. Seems expensive. 

I have been using mesh for corn for so many years. It works great and I soak them with scent when fishing in a group of people to make it stand out. Remember carp can smell scents from up to a half km away. Their eyesight is impeccable so once they get close it’s easy for them to hone in so I don’t make big bags. I do have some of the Thundermist catch a carp pouches to sample but find them all most too big. But no doubt about it fished on a hair now worries from current or gobies. I know when I retrieve my line there is still bait on my hook.

6 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

But no doubt about it fished on a hair now worries from current or gobies. I know when I retrieve my line there is still bait on my hook.

Well ...I never thought about using corn or other baits in a small bait bag to help ward off the gobies .....so I'll make up some can corn cheese cloth bags about penny size with my "roe machine" and use them on both hair rigs and on the hook . The cheese cloth is semi-transparent when wet allowing the corn to be seen easily ( I hope) !   I will make some bags up today ( 2hot2fish ),and put the bags into  small jars with some scent .....haven't tried cranberry yet ......

I am unable to edit above post  since I deleted my Google cashe to help speed up the pute.....

I did up some corn bags and found I could separate the cheese cloth which is double weaved . It seems to not make much difference but it's easier to tie the knot with single strand .  They can be soaked in scent until time of use ,  either on a hair rig or on a hook .

can corn bags.jpg

Looks great. I find you need to be careful using on a hook because the hook can bury itself in the bag. On a hair the hook is always exposed. I use a super gel corn scent made by pro cure. Just spread some on the bag before presenting the bait. Stays on for a very long time. 

Archived