Carp Rod

smerchly

Thinking about buying a second carp rod .....  My 12' Maddraggon  (2300) has been faithful , but as we discussed previously , I found the stiffness of the rod plus the hard head shakes while using braid was too "bumpy" for some of the battles .....and maybe a torn lip on my opponent .  I have been using mono  with a floro carb leader where rocks or zebra mussels have sliced my 20 lb mono . Soooo.... I'm looking at buying another 12 - 13 ft.rod with a softer tip ....watched a video, guy using a 3.5 curve carp rod and he was using it for long casts . I think a more flexible rod may work better in the fast 12 mile current .( like trout fishing the Niagara)

I don't know who has a good assortment of carp rods locally ....maybe Grimsby Tackle , or Peters has more to choose from ...... don't like buying on line as I want to add my reel for feel  & compare other rods . I've seen 15' rods being used for carp . Any input or tips would be appreciated .

....just a note ....wife  is reading about a bad head on car accident near Read R. (air ambulance) , and a young man named Lorne Morley commented on it (Facebook)  . His picture was included ....I'd say he resembles Lorne , but I didn't think he had an kids .....  This fellow also belongs to CAG .   Maybe a nephew ?

You don't want a wet noodle either. Stiffer butt section and moderate toward the tip flex is ideal. It needs to have backbone to help steer the fish, especially in current (like a trout or salmon).

You'll know when you have it in your hand (with your reel to put on) if its better than what you have now. Keep in mind line rating for the rod as well.

Smerch what’s your rod now? 2.75tc?

maybe try a 1.75 -2.25tc it will be more like a medium-light rod rather then med-med/heavy.  I have 2.75 and 3.5tc rods but would like something lighter for small waters. I’ll probably wait till next year I’ve already spent a couple g’s this year on carp equipment 🤫😁.  
trying to find a store around here with a selection of carp rods is next to impossible. If you find some their usually 2.75 and up.  I got my first rod at peters(2.75).  I’d call around before making the trip.  
disappointed the last time I went to sail.  They actually had a decent selection of bait and rig making supplies. Now it’s a very small section and all on clearance.  Looks like their getting rid of it all.  I think carpkit might have a store in Milton, I msged them to confirm that. 

Damn,,,,just lost my long reply trying to post a link......

My rod is a 3.00 .  ...looking to get a softer one....will check out Peters soon.

https://www.carpfeed.com/fishing-advice/how-to/how-to-buy-a-carp-rod

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

good read smerch.

Some good info there ...... 

Gave the  3.00 a run today ....carp were jumping all over the place !...at least 5 jumped right over my baits !!

But they were not in the "mood"  for my tasty treats . I started with corn bags , then the yellow marsh mellow things , then the corn puffs .  After 20 min .with the puff corn , the alarm went off and the fish took off straight out for about 10 seconds ...then off !   About 30 min.later , another run (they hit those puffs hard) !!  It also got off the hook while thrashing in the net ....nice quick easy release !  lol

The carp are there , but  they are too picky . I'll try the maize next time ....they seem to like my pineapple deluxe ! 

Next trip ....Rennie & a stop at Peters while I'm there to have a look at the rods .....

(neighbour gave me $100 gift certificate for doing some tree trimming & fence post repair .)    😇

13 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Some good info there ...... 

Gave the  3.00 a run today ....carp were jumping all over the place !...at least 5 jumped right over my baits !!

But they were not in the "mood"  for my tasty treats . I started with corn bags , then the yellow marsh mellow things , then the corn puffs .  After 20 min .with the puff corn , the alarm went off and the fish took off straight out for about 10 seconds ...then off !   About 30 min.later , another run (they hit those puffs hard) !!  It also got off the hook while thrashing in the net ....nice quick easy release !  lol

The carp are there , but  they are too picky . I'll try the maize next time ....they seem to like my pineapple deluxe ! 

Next trip ....Rennie & a stop at Peters while I'm there to have a look at the rods .....

(neighbour gave me $100 gift certificate for doing some tree trimming & fence post repair .)    😇

Some action is better then nothing smerch. Hopefully I’ll get out during the evenings this weekend.  
100 gift certificate!! Good deeds pay off :)

22 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Some action is better then nothing smerch. Hopefully I’ll get out during the evenings this weekend.  
100 gift certificate!! Good deeds pay off :)

As usual the first hit caught me off guard .... as the alarm screamed , the carp was really peeling out the line !!  Sure gets the blood pressure rising fast !!  🩺

Got another $50 CT  gift card from a neighbour taking care of house & yard while away for a week ....and $20 win on a gifted scratch card .....  haven't spent my own money for months !!  lol 

Hopefully cooler temperatures will get the fish interested in my chow again ! 

....an update on buying  carp rod ....

Called my local shop & they only have the 3.00 and 3.25 ....looking for a 2.75 curve ..

Checked out another shop & B.P. .....nothing on their web sites about carp rods .

So ....my old custom salmon rod is very lively ....8' long and has been fun to use for carp & flexible enough for braid .

I'll try the 12 Mile with it ....and take my 12' carp rod as a back up .

From what I've at the fishing holes , carp fishing has been getting more popular every year , yet the tackle shops keep a very limited supply of gear like rods & reels ,

36 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

You can try my rod out and see if you would like something softer the 2.75.  I like it you can fish the margins and cast 100yards also. 

I'll take you up on that Tyler ....next time we meet up .  I rigged my 8' glass rod with my other bait runner reel and filled the spool with 20# braid and floro leader to help ward off those sharp mussels and rocks . I have used it at the 12 at low tide but not much in the fast currents . The slope there starts at the bank so a shorter rod  can work . Today would have been a good day to fish with no sun and much cooler .

The only place I can think of for long casts would be fishing Lake Ontario from shore .  I can fire out pre-made oat/cream corn balls out a long way with the slingshot . ....just make them stick together with more cream corn .

It's a tricky swim there Tyler ....the currents , humps & bumps , rocks and mussels ....

After 20 minutes of slowly gaining some "ground" on that fish I thought I would land it .

Need a stronger set up in that current . 

Tried Gib yesterday ....one carp on and off it went ....took a corn bag ...tried other baits which got raided by small fish & last attempt used maize/hair rig....Carp jumping all over the place ! 

Got my bike tuned up today ...will give the carp a rest & go for the edible stuff ......

Oh yes , greeted by a fresh load of ...... and encountered another spot with large rocks put across a "former" parking area to stop further dumping ....

And the beat goes on ...............

gib trash.JPG

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

That’s disgusting. I bet there’s an envelope or something with a name or address in those bags.  Dump it back where it came from.....

Alice's Restaurant cops can find their addy under the trash  ....

I would prefer to take a 5 gal .pail of doggie doo and spread the goodies over their yard , and fill up the mailbox ....with the loose stuff ....  💩

Archived