The 12

smerchly

I tossed the bike into the van  & headed to the 12 Mile with my 8' Fenwick , Stradic 4000 , worms , harnesses , tubes , & some lures .....

When I reached the bottom of the very rough slope at Glendale the parking lot had barriers and all kinds of heavy equipment was in there tearing up the parking lot near the creek . I talked to one of the workers who noticed my fine old van , & he said someone dumped a lot of an oily substance near the edge of the creek . Some one must have reported the spill. This was 10 am and they were still digging at 2:30 when I returned to my van . Just then a large truck came down the rough hill to hall away more stone . Being a Sunday it must have cost thousands of dollars to remove tons of stone and earth .....may still be there now !  

I'm expecting to see some steel gates going in there soon . This place has been a dumping site for many years .

Now for the fishing .....water was poor viz. & at full water level . I tossed a 3 way/spinner worm ....1/2 oz.weight ( bottom bouncing lightly) ...a few snags but had 2 good fights in the current with fish about 3-4 lbs ....tried a few of my other baits ...notta !  Saw one nice bass chasing a big minnow ...but not my 4" Husky Jerk !

Oh ya....the fish .....familiar looking liver  lips ....took the worm/spinner combo ! 

...a few shots including the city crew cleaning up the "oil " or whatever it is .....

....can't remove double picture in edit ....

12Mi. loader.jpg

12 Mi...truck.jpg

12 mi.sucker 2.jpg

12 mi.sucker 2.jpg

12 Mi sucker 1.jpg

1 hour ago, knightfisher said:

Red horse, nice.

Years (  ages ) ago the 12 was loaded with white suckers as the made their way from Port Dal .via the open canal . I have only caught  red horse ones in the past years . With that large anal fin and tail , they can be a challenge to catch on light gear in that current . I'll do another session there using a 3 way rig or egg sinker rig with 1oz or more weight ....  using worms & shrimp ....hope to catch channel cats too , some big girls in there ! 

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

sucks about the oil spill but good that its getting cleaned up. looks like you caught some catfish bait smerch. suckers on light gear are always fun.

I hope the parking lot stays open or I'll have an extra 2K to bike there . I was expecting a carp to take the worms anytime ....would be very iffy to land it on the 10# line....

The first sucker was so silver I thought I had a nice bow  !   It may be fun to take the noodle rod for those suckers ! :Gonefishing:

Archived