First swill of 2006 - Saturday Feruary 25th

Guest fishstick

When should the 1st swill of 2006 be?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. When should the 1st swill of 2006 be?

• January
    • Ferbruary
    • March
    • April
    • I could care less
    • Only if Stalin shows
    • Only if Doc wears his thong
    • Only if Sirfishalot drinks me under the table
    • Only if we raise $1000
    • Only if the Leafs win the Cup...lol
    • Only if Fishstick posts more about fishing
    • All fun put aside....I'll post my answer

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems people have problems with every society out there. I can only speak from my own experience. It doesn't matter to me which one we support.

I think that the idea that this fishing sight does more than just talk about 'fishing sights' and does swills to contribute to local needs is WONDERFUL. I have not fished much in the past years. But will do my best to be a part of this sight and the contribution it does for this area.

Guest fishstick

I say we put the money towards the Adopt-a-road program for Rookers Road in Port.... :o

Or why not just donate it to Sick Childrens Hospital, or Make a Wish Foundation?

I'm into any charity that is there to help our future....the children.

:blink:

or....we could put the money towards a photographer who can take a pic of McIntosh actually holding a fish.... :rolleyes:

But then he would need lessons too, right?

Nevermind....that's too risky and costly of an investment. I'd rather play the stock market.... :D

:rolleyes: Dan : You know I was sitting here thinking the same thing about Rooker Rd .Was just trying to figure out how to put the suggestion togeather. Maybe we should sit with Rick and see if it is workable. Could you see a sign reading ADOPT A ROAD by NIAGARA FISHING .NET. Wow then every one on here could say that they have helped in keeping this area alive and well . Catfish :o

Guest cplummer

I agree with either FACS or BIG BROTHERS , i would much rather help a child then cats n dogs !! i was a big brother for years but the kids i got were mostly the troubled ones it seems.. After my lil brother died of a drug overdose that hurt me to the point of never going back to them but it's a great cause for a donation..

The humane soceity idea was just a kick at the can. Never knew about all that other stuff. Facs can always use the money ,also Big brother /Big sisters. I say let's throw this donations towards the Big Brother s organisation this time . Maybe do something with Sherkston get the kids out and also Big Brothers I can remember that the Police Foundation use do something with Big Brothers at Desy's . Worked out very well. I am game for anything. Hopefully we can get a bigger turn out then the last. I can really see $1000 dollar donation in the making.

I agree with the big brothers aswell, i was a little brother years ago and i experienced alot of things i never would have otherwise.... Stan Burgess was a class act for sure (believe he was the president or something like that)... other "charities" that are close to home are heart and stroke, diabetes and sick childrens hospital.

BUt really, whatever i guess.

This will hopefully be my first swill, but how about Wellspring Niagara? Check them out at http://www.wellspring.ca/locations/?lid=5

I try to support this charity whenever I can and that is not to say that I think any less of those already proposed. Maybe develop a year long list of swills and organize what charities will benefit from what.

Any thoughts?

Guest fishstick

I checked out the website edge, and they do provide alot of support for all different groups. Very nice. This will be taken into consideration by all, hopefully.

But....I cannot stress the fact that, Make a Wish Foundation, or whatever it's called here in Niagara, might be a suitable choice.

Let's not forget, most of these children are running out of time, whereas, Big Brothers and Sisters are not. I'm not saying all is well in their field, but time is of the essence.

I could not imagine my son in their shoes. We have all had a pretty good life so far except for a few glitches here and there....but most of the terminally ill children probably won't get to be our age.

A truly sad thought indeed.... :)

I'd say Make a Wish Foundation. Sure Walt Disney World etc is great, but we have neither the funds, nor the means to provide monetary donations for those kinds of trips...."but" what if we can provide a single day of fishing with a terminally ill child, and it makes them smile from ear to ear?

Tell me you wouldn't want to shed a tear....

And "no", if anyone thinks I want to do this to have my pic taken, no way, Rick can present the cheque, I just want to set it up, that's all. I'm not looking for a pat on the back.

That's all.

Guest fishstick

Thanx John. I just sent the executive directer an email asking telling her about us, and what we would like to do for the kids. Her name is Lori Quick. They are based out of London, On.

I proposed a day of shore fishing, and I did mention that there were boats available....see, I knew some of you would offer.... :)

I just told her what we did, and would like to contribute to the cause, and if there was any chance to get the kids out for a day, we as a group would be more than happy to donate our time.

First I'll give you the link, then I'll post my email.

Btw, I did not mention the name of the site, not sure if I was allowed or not, but if she replies, I will let her know.

First the link, then my email to her.

http://www.makeawish.ca/index.htm

I am writing to you on behalf of a fishing website that I am a member of. About 4 times a year we get together to raise funds for charities. I have suggested the Make a Wish Foundation for our next donation. I see that you are located in London, we are based out of Niagara. Would there be any chance to get some of these children out for a day of shore fishing in the spring? I know that members would be more than willing to spend time teaching the children how to fish for a day. Any information you can send me so that I may make it available to all members would be greatly appreciated. We cannot afford large sums, but we did manage to donate about $600 to the St.Catharines Family and Children Services Centre back in December. Not bad for only 35 people there. We are a non-profit organization. There are no cuts for us. What we raise, we give. I know we could do better this time. Getting the children out is really important, so I need to know what the chances are, under Make a Wish supervision naturally.

Hopefully, we can be able to create a day of fishing for the children. A lot of us do have boats, but I think the shore factor would make people feel more at ease.

Keep up the fantastic work, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Guest fishstick

I recieved a reply tonight.

Here it is.....

Dear Daniel…thank you so much for your interest in Make-A-Wish. We sincerely appreciate you thinking of our wish kids. Since you are based out of Niagara, the closest Make-A-Wish Foundation office to you would be the Toronto and Central Ontario Chapter. Therefore, I have copied Daniella Bianchi, the Communication and Marketing Coordinator for the Toronto Chapter. You should be hearing back from Daniella soon.

Wishing you all the very best with your future fundraising initiatives.

Best Wishes,

Lori Quick

I love a quick response....no pun intended.

I hope that everyone can be happy with my choice of recipients for the next swill.

I know it is not my choice alone that decides things, but what better cause could you think of?

I just felt that, because I am organizing the next one, I'd pick the best place for the money to go....and I don't regret it for one minute.

So there you have it. My email to them......and their response.

Take or leave it, I know I have generated some interest from a group that can do their best to make children happy.

Be thankful that yours are healthy.....I am.

The emails in the last few posts are there for you to read.

Personally, I have way too many ill people in my life right now, and I know they will be gone sooner than I would like, so please bear with me, and let's at least give to those who won't be able to enjoy a full life, nevermind, reaching our age, a chance at what we sometimes take for granted.

Fellow posters, I ask nothing more from you.

Our swills are fun, and our posts are informative.

Well....not as much by me, but....

This is something I'd really like to do, so if you can spare the time, I would be forever thankful.

I could never be more sincere....

Thank you.

Guest Classicfishing

I will try to help out again like last swill. i truly believe this is a great cause and unfortunately have experienced the great things with the Make A Wish foundation with my nephew who has cancer. they are a great organization who make a huge difference in childrens lives and I will try to do whatever I can.

Guest fishstick

I hope nobody gets angry with me, but after a little help from a fellow poster, he informed me that the Niagara based chapter is called Tender Wishes.

I would prefer the money to stay in our area. I hope nobody has a problem with this? I'm not sure if they are affiliated with Make a Wish, but they do the exact same thing for terminally ill children.

http://www.tenderwishes.org/index_html.html

I will be contacting them tomorrow.

Thanx for all the offers folks. I'd really like to advertise this swill, either in the Standard, or Niagara This Week. I will put out of my own pocket for this one.

If you would like to help, just start spreading the word, although, I will not mention pizza 'n' wings at $9 a head. We'll wind up with a mob that'll only be there for the food, and then leave. We don't want that. I'd rather have someone show up because they are interested in fishing, NFN and/or our charity work.

Makes sense.

Thanx for all the offers folks. I'd really like to advertise this swill, either in the Standard, or Niagara This Week. I will put out of my own pocket for this one.

If you would like to help, just start spreading the word, although, I will not mention pizza 'n' wings at $9 a head. We'll wind up with a mob that'll only be there for the food, and then leave.

40293[/snapback]

Your choice on the date. Your choice on the origination to receive any funds. I will back anything you come up with. Yet I quire the reason why you would advertise. We have 747 members to date. Our swills are good because we get to meet the other members. The proceeds going to charity are a bonus. To advertise at this point and have people there that have nothing to do with this sight doesn’t sound right to me.

Hope I am wrong. You always have good ideas.

Archived