Fishing Shopping Report

Guest BrownBomber

Guest BrownBomber

:rolleyes: This isn't a real fishing report but Mugen and I had a good time so I figured I'd post about it.

We got to BPS at about 11:30 in time for Dave Mercer's seminar which was pretty good. He talked about different rods for different lures and gave some pretty good tips on using spinner baits. We got 3 or 4 free spoons that he was throwing out. Mugen and I got to chat with him a bit after and we got a picture which is blurry because the kid was hopped up on sugar and couldn't hold the camera phone still. We also got an autographed card which I'm gonna frame. :lol:

dscn11455yv.th.jpg

12030611311eq.th.jpg

We walked around for a bit and around for a bit and I had a $100 credit to spend so I got some X-Raps ($5.99), some other cheap hardbaits, some boxes for my tackle bag and finally my Shimano Sahara...

dscn11351cq.th.jpg

We did some more walking around and we gorged on the samples of fish they were frying up. :lol: We saw Italo's seminar which was super informative. He showed a bunch of different techniques to use with X-Raps, DTs, Tail Dancers and other lures. We got pictures with Italo and autographed cards too which I'll put in the frame right beside Dave Mercer's. :lol:

dscn11391yb.th.jpg

12030614111ss.th.jpg

We then took off to the Golf and Travel show at the convention centre and got a bunch of free balls, tees and other random stuff. We got to try out some expensive Ping clubs which was cool. There was an anime (Japanese cartoon) convention going on at the same time and we snapped a picture of this loser. :lol:

12030616559mw.th.jpg

P.S. Here's a link to what BPS has on sale. There seemed to be a lot of deals, but judge for yourself. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFP...0227&storeID=11

All in all not a real fishing report, but we had a good time...there's always tons of stuff to look at at BPS.

I visited BPS for the first time a few weeks ago......very BIG store with all the goodies . I wasn't impressed with the prices , but that multi-million dollar showcase has to be figured in the costs . I bought a Sahara 2000 from a local shop last year and so far , it's been a good reel for the price . Having 2 spools is handy for changing toa diff. style of fishing . Congrats on getting the autographs .....I have a pic. of me & Italo at Port Dalhousie ....makes me look short :rolleyes:

Guest bigfishbass

thanks for the report... i wanna head out there sometime this week or this weekend as i have some cards i have to spend there too.... best of all...i still love the fish tank they have in there....

Guest BrownBomber

Tommy - I didn't pick up his DVDs but I probably should have considering the first one is the number one seller in Canada (I think). I saw his second DVD for something like 3 bucks but I had already spent a lot by that point!

The great thing about seeing the demos in the big tank is that the water is crystal clear and you can see how the lure works. You also got to see which fish responded to the lure and how they responded to the different techniques (twitching, etc). That was really awesome to see and will definitely help me catch more fish now that I have some indication of what the fish like.

As for Italo, his show is always informative and he was a super nice guy so I don't see him as a joke. I guess there is something that you guys know that I don't know.

Guest BrownBomber

Judging from the person I've seen on TV and in person it seems pretty uncharacteristic so maybe it was pressure like you say Tommy. He seems to be a great fisherman and full of knowledge so I would think he wouldn't have problems catching fish, but who knows what the circumstances were.

Guest BrownBomber

knightfisher -> Bass Pro Shop is in the Vaughan Mills Mall in Vaughan. Here's the address and phone #:

1 Bass Pro Mills Drive

Vaughan, Ont L4K 5W4

Phone: 905 761 4000

Its a massive store and a fun trip even if you don't buy anything.

I heard that Italo is a very good taxidermist... even better than he is/was at hosting television shows.

They did something very wrong, especially in light of the fact they were in the eye of the public representing the world of fishing. They have been forgiven for the most part and has likely lost the following of most of his original following. I do not find either of their current shows as informative and entertaining as previous. Showbiz is a crazy business and I am sure they were more looking to show the public what and how to enjoy fishing. We all know how tough it can be to hook fish everytime we go out. They would surely have been under pressure to produce and remain within budget.

I am sure they are both decent and generous in person. I would give them the respect as a human being if I met them in public though admittedly, what they did has been imbedded in my mind and that, I cannot erase. Good for them to recover and continue in this business. I couldn't show my face too much in the "fishing community" if it were I.

ps... Henry has brutal form when he swings a golf club! :Gonefishing:

Archived